A question for cruisers.

RFM

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind a big harley has twice the weight of a sportbike, and half the tire contact patch most of the time. I also doubt that many HD riders are running sticky tires to help them hook up better. In a situation where a crash is unavoidable on a big pig I would rather lay it down and get a chance to kick away from the bike and slow MY impact. However I ride a dual-sport so I just slip the clutch and wheelie over shit now. =)

Keep in mind a big harley has twice the weight of a sportbike, and half the tire contact patch most of the time. I also doubt that many HD riders are running sticky tires to help them hook up better. In a situation where a crash is unavoidable on a big pig I would rather lay it down and get a chance to kick away from the bike and slow MY impact. However I ride a dual-sport so I just slip the clutch and wheelie over shit now. =)

rep for jumping obstacles

This is probably the most desired method, I wish I could learn how to bring the front wheel up. I don't understand why these cruiser guys are having to make such a decision aren't their loud pipes working?

Just another thought. Could all of this have been started back in the days of DRUM brakes (front & rear)? Compared to current disc brakes, it might have actually been faster to dump the bike than to depend on the crappy brakes.

For you young'uns, bikes didn't always have multi-piston caliper disc brakes. Drum brakes frequently sucked & when they got wet, they REALLY sucked.

I used to ride /5's back in the day, and never did self-preservation instincts compel me to dump the bike rather than grab as much drum brake as possible while trying to maintain some semblance of control and remain upright. Of course, that’s just me…And old Beemers aren’t as heavy (and fast?) as a big HD cruiser.

This is probably the most desired method, I wish I could learn how to bring the front wheel up. I don't understand why these cruiser guys are having to make such a decision aren't their loud pipes working?

WHAT?!?

No really, speak up, I can't hear you.

I haven't seen any proof that a little tire offers more drag than chrome does. You guys obviously don't understand surface area.

i hope that was sarcastic, the coefficient of friction between two hard, mostly smooth surfaces is almost nothing compared to the one between a malleable material like rubber. i don't care how small the surface area is, the front brake, when applied, will cause the front wheel to take on the weight properties of a large percentage of the entire bike.

In conclusion its physics, cruisers suck.

I've had to lay a bike down before. The #1 rod snapped. Half a rod with piston attached came through the block, hitting me in the leg and spewing really fucking hot oil all over my leg and the asphalt. Bike was sliding everywhere. I was going down. Had two choices, down on pavement or down in grassy ditch. I chose grassy ditch.
my msf instructor said that " if you are in control of your motorcycle, you should never have to "intentionally" lay your motorcycle down"

Yea Casper, you didn't read the f*(king memo on that did you? A real man would've rode that shit out side-saddle if necessary. :p

I would totally 'intentionally' lay my bike down for a number of reasons - all self-preservation based, not "too slow down quicker"-based

my msf instructor said that " if you are in control of your motorcycle, you should never have to "intentionally" lay your motorcycle down"

Seems like common sense to me, I'd still rather lay it down than hit someone head on.

8784d1140588362-motorcycle-vw-crash-motorcycle004.jpg

think he survived?

Purely inferential, but taking into account the sheer speed/momentum needed to imbed a bike into whatever that was—I am guessing that the decision as to whether to brake or to bail probably didn’t even have enough time to make to the major muscle groups before impact.

How far does a person need to go from applying the rear brake, to skidding, to transitioning to the ground, to sliding. At 55mph. 20 feet? And that still has a good amount of forward motion.

Purely inferential, but taking into account the sheer speed/momentum needed to imbed a bike into whatever that was—I am guessing that the decision as to whether to brake or to bail probably didn’t even have enough time to make to the major muscle groups before impact.

I started out reading that as "Purely inferential, but taking into account the sheep speed/momentum needed to imbed..." before I had to reread it again. This board corrupts the mind. :sheepfucker::lol:

I started out reading that as "Purely inferential' date=' but taking into account the sheep speed/momentum needed to imbed..." before I had to reread it again. This board corrupts the mind. :sheepfucker::lol:[/quote']

You gots sheep on the brain. WOOL FEVER!!

I started out reading that as "Purely inferential' date=' but taking into account the sheep speed/momentum needed to imbed..." before I had to reread it again. This board corrupts the mind. :sheepfucker::lol:[/quote']

You know, if you drop the back legs into your Wellies/muck boots it takes the sheep speed out of the equation.

i hope that was sarcastic, the coefficient of friction between two hard, mostly smooth surfaces is almost nothing compared to the one between a malleable material like rubber. i don't care how small the surface area is, the front brake, when applied, will cause the front wheel to take on the weight properties of a large percentage of the entire bike.

In conclusion its physics, cruisers suck.

that was satire, i made the same mistake...