Winter project bike

20thGix

[ATTACH]1471[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1472[/ATTACH]

Here is my winter project. Its a 72' CL 450 that going to have a SOHC 750 shoe horned in it. I finally finished painting the frame and powder coating the wheels. Im going for the murdered out look. I just slapped the wheels on it just to get an idea of the look. I'm happy to just get some kind of progress done.

to be honest im not good enough at it to be comfortable charging someone. I still struggle with getting aluminum parts coming out perfect. Steel brackets and other things i get to come out fine. I seems that i cant get the aluminum clean enough. I run them through the parts washer, media blast then wipe down with acetone and still doesnt seem clean. Next time i will try all the above then bake in the oven. Let part cool, wipe with acetone then see what happens. If anyone has more experience with powder coat let me know where im going wrong.

• 5 months later...

Long overdue update on the "winter" project that i waited till spring to do anything on.

Dont mind the fender its still a work in progress. And all the wiring hanging out the side. Just about got all the wiring done. After i get done i will make a small write up on how to make a single filiment bulb run your running lamp and stop. Im using beehive marker lamps from Advanced Auto. Yes i am cheap.

picture.php?albumid=681&pictureid=10886

picture.php?albumid=681&pictureid=10885

picture.php?albumid=681&pictureid=10884

picture.php?albumid=681&pictureid=10883

picture.php?albumid=681&pictureid=10882

picture.php?albumid=681&pictureid=10881

still undecided on full blown murdered out look. i will wait till its complete then make the call. or i could make a poll and the people can decide. Democracy in action.

• 2 months later...

Here are some updated pics. I just about have it done. Just need to powder coat the bars and put alittle more bend in them. I also need new clutch and brake levers. And i finally got the wiring under control. Gonna get a battery today and take her for a spin.picture.php?albumid=681&pictureid=12087

picture.php?albumid=681&pictureid=12086

picture.php?albumid=681&pictureid=12085

picture.php?albumid=681&pictureid=12084

• 1 month later...

Well here's alittle more progress. Finally got the bars powder coated. Also got around to painting the headlight and speedo.

picture.php?albumid=681&pictureid=12562

Also hacked the old exhaust in half in hopes to just move the sound farther behind me. To my suprise there was a baffle in the section i was going to use. Its alittle quieter but not the sound im looking for but its gonna have to work for now.

picture.php?albumid=681&pictureid=12561

I still need a few odd and ends but its rideable. I would say about 95% done. Just need some leather tassels, bandanna and a pack of cigs to roll up in my t-shirt sleeve. :D I had it out over the weekend and forgot to put a mirror on it and it drove me crazy not being able to see behind me. Not to mention illegal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

So i decided to stay late after work and get some more parts on the to do list done. Tonight was make my own velocity stacks. Added power probaly not but i dont care. I think they look cool.

Started with a solid piece of aluminum. First op. was getting the bore done.

picture.php?albumid=681&pictureid=13283

Next was turning the outside to complete them.

picture.php?albumid=681&pictureid=13284

Here's a couple pics of 2 of themn on the bike cuz i know how you people like pictures.

picture.php?albumid=681&pictureid=13285

picture.php?albumid=681&pictureid=13286

They make my carbs look even more cruddy. I guess add that to the to do list also.