Garmin vs. TomTom--Questions/Comparisons

Fonzie

OK..... Got the wifey a Garmin GPS for her bDay a couple weeks ago. Sam really seems to like his, as do others I've spoken to

She returned the favor today, as she stumbled upon a "Black Friday" deal while out, & got me a TomTom XL325 "Special Edition"

I paid $125 for hers.... She got this for $89

Same size screen on both..... 4.3". Seems like the other features are similar. I think wifey's has like over 5 million points on it.... Don't see how many this one is loaded with

Question is this..... In my ignorant "view from 10,000 feet" it seems like Garmin's pretty much become the frontrunner. Anybody else on here had both? How do you like them? Anything special/quirky/different/better I should know about them compared to Garmin?

Like I said..... New to the whole GPS thing in the last few weeks, so lookin' for some feedback before I unwrap this thing & can't take it back

Edited by Fonzie

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was looking, I found that the main performance feature to look closely at is the Routing Engine. That's the section that decides which exact route it's going to plot for you. At the time, the top was Garmin, then Magellan and TomTom was at the bottom of the pack. I got a Magellan on sale and it's great.

i have two garmins both 205w and love them. the only quirk i have against them is is doesnt always give me the fastest route. but i only paid like 130 bucks for them on sale. i guess at one time they were one of the more expensive ones in garmins lineup. i would have to agree that garmin is the front runner

In terms of modern GPS while each has benefits, you are fine with either.

Garmin typically is more expensive to update maps, but they are great

TomTom has a better user interface and cheaper to update maps

Magellan great technology

Seriously, they're all about the same... just don't buy one of the cheap store branded ones.

free maps huh.... :D

I have a tomtom... the only thing that drives me crazy about it is that it doesn't tell me what the next street is until about a mile away. So if I'm driving and I want to see the next street, I have to touch the screen, then hit two more buttons, then I can view my route by text or map, but I'm driving, I dont want to have to mess with hitting the right button and whatnot.... It would be sooo much easier if I could just move the current screen map.

I have been through a few GPS units over the years. That being said, getting your first GPS unit is like losing your virginity. You don't know if there's any better out there and you're just happy to be getting it in the first place.

So the first time you use it is all awkward and you're at your destination in less than a minute?

:D

Just picked up a Garmin 780 from Newegg. I just so happen to have used a TomTom for 2.5 weeks in Europe, I'd say the interfaces are equally easy to use. I will say this, if your phone has Bluetooth for frak's sake get a Bluetooth enabled GPS. Being able to walk in the car and automagically having a speakerphone with contacts right there is really awesome.

When I was researching them last year for my folks, the vibe I got was TomTom was more Eurocentric (i.e. better in Europe. TomTom HQ is Eurobased) and more likely to route you away from the highways in the US - maybe 8-10% of the time, while Garmin was top dog in the US as far as routing, and features.

Like I said, that was last year - it seems TomTom has gotten better in the features category, so they may be closer to each other.

Or, third option. Droid w/ Google Maps.

When I was researching them last year for my folks, the vibe I got was TomTom was more Eurocentric (i.e. better in Europe. TomTom HQ is Eurobased) and more likely to route you away from the highways in the US - maybe 8-10% of the time, while Garmin was top dog in the US as far as routing, and features.

Like I said, that was last year - it seems TomTom has gotten better in the features category, so they may be closer to each other.

Or, third option. Droid w/ Google Maps.

Which doesn't do turn-by-turn directions. Don't get me wrong, Google Maps Mobile busted me out of many a jam, but it's not exactly apples to apples.

Droid does turn by turn... that was the huge hype for it when it came out...

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/28/google-adds-free-turn-by-turn-navigation-car-dock-ui-to-android/

I stand corrected. Hopefully it'll find its way to my Blackberry, I really don't want to shell out the $250 for Garmin's China and Australia maps.

I have been through a few GPS units over the years. That being said, getting your first GPS unit is like losing your virginity. You don't know if there's any better out there and you're just happy to be getting it in the first place.

:lol: LOVE IT....Great comparison!!

Thanx for all the input so far guys!

Sooooo..... Realistically..... How often do you guys reeaally update your maps?

Edited by Fonzie

:lol: LOVE IT....Great comparison!!

Thanx for all the input so far guys!

Sooooo..... Realistically..... How often do you guys reeaally update your maps?

With TomTom or Garmin (can't speak for others as I don't know) you get a free complete map update as soon as you buy the unit to account for changes made while on the shelf. After that's you're on your own. The pricing model, IMHO, isn't that far off from razor/razor blades; the hardware is cheap but the maps to keep it accurate aren't.

I guess to properly answer your question, if there is new stuff that's been built that you absolutely have to have on your GPS, then you may want to update. Only problem is, there's no guarantee that the thing you want will make it on the update you buy. When I had the TomTom in Europe, the factory that I was going to wasn't on the GPS. I was able to get really close to it, then figure out the rest from there. Once I'm there, just mark the location and it's easy-peasy from then on.

I've had mine for a year and haven't updated yet.... has only messed up directions once. I was trying to get to pablo's restaurant and it took me to some guy's house in the burbs. he was raking leaves... I pulled up, rolled down my window, and asked if he was pablo...

jk, but it did take me to the burbs when I was looking for a restaurant.

I've had mine for a year and haven't updated yet.... has only messed up directions once. I was trying to get to pablo's restaurant and it took me to some guy's house in the burbs. he was raking leaves... I pulled up, rolled down my window, and asked if he was pablo...

jk, but it did take me to the burbs when I was looking for a restaurant.

For you not only am I Pablo, but I'll cook you a hell of a burrito. ;)

Also... Wifey was just commenting she wished her Garmin gave her option of GoogleMap type driving directions.... i.e listed all at once with drive time e.t.a, that she could look at before leaving to familiarize herself with the route. Says she gets the e.t.a, but it only feeds her directions one step at a time.

Is that possible, and we're just not finding where the option is?

Also... Wifey was just commenting she wished her Garmin gave her option of GoogleMap type driving directions.... i.e listed all at once with drive time e.t.a, that she could look at before leaving to familiarize herself with the route. Says she gets the e.t.a, but it only feeds her directions one step at a time.

You aren't finding the option. You can get a turn by turn list, at least mine does. :dunno:

Try touching the very top bar when on a route. It works on my nuvi 780. It won't do all the directions at once, you'll have about 3 at a time on the page, but I think it's what she's after.

my tomtom has that option