does anyone here jog?

oldschoolsdime92

So, is there any particular time that is better than another to run? I get up at 545 in the morning for work, so I don't think I am going to get up earlier than that to go for a run. Is afterwork okay?

Run when you like to run...dont let anyone or anything dictate when you go. I hit the Y as soon as I drop my daughter off at school on my days off. I cannot get motivated to go in the evening. I have a co-worker that runs 5k every day at 2pm. its all you.

http://www.fleetfeetcolumbus.com/

running isn't the best way to lose weight. It will get you in better health as far as your cardio ability, but running isn't a weight-loss magic bullet.

If weight-loss is the stated goal, DIET accounts for 50% of what you're doing.

the basic principle behind weight loss is burning more calories than you take in, which almost everyone realizes. What most people don't realize is that jogging really doesn't burn a ton of calories; lifting weights can burn a lot more, AND you get the added benefit of building and carrying muscle, which forces your body to burn more calories just by sitting on your ass.

Being young and having a quick metabolism certainly helps, but I eat pretty much like crap now, and still maintain a healthy weight without very much cardio at all.

and you don't need a gym membership to do basic 'weight' training.

I would never tell you not to pursue jogging (my knees can't take more than 5k a day), but add in some strength training as well.

"playing-card pushups" will kick your ass. take a deck of cards, and start flipping them over one at a time. do X number of pushups, then roll over and do X number of situps. flip the next card and repeat. you end up doing something like 312 reps, but never more than 14 in a row. do all face cards as 10 reps if you can't make it through the deck. you'll sweat your ass off.

lunges. best leg exercise that no one likes. girls should be required to lunge everywhere; they'd have much tighter asses. 10 per leg, and hold onto some weight. I wear a bookbag filled with books if i'm doing lunges at home. 10-20 per leg.

same drill for calf raises, and step-ups (just skip a stair or two on your home stair case).

and so on. there are lots of "home workouts" online. my friend ray used to book a specific hotel when he traveled for work because they had heavy coffee tables, and he could do "coffee table curls." I wouldn't take it quite that far, but the guy is ripped, and i've never seen him run a mile...

do it! We can get porter in on it too. We can all log the results and such, and maybe see in a given amount of time who has the best results.:D

lol.... mmmk :boxing::D I wouldn't start for another 2 weeks prolly (finals and whatnot :( )

"playing-card pushups" will kick your ass. take a deck of cards, and start flipping them over one at a time. do X number of pushups, then roll over and do X number of situps. flip the next card and repeat. you end up doing something like 312 reps, but never more than 14 in a row. do all face cards as 10 reps if you can't make it through the deck. you'll sweat your ass off.

Really Like this Idea....ill try it tonight thanks! I get bored with my regular scheduled workout which inturn causes me to slack sometimes...

do it! We can get porter in on it too. We can all log the results and such, and maybe see in a given amount of time who has the best results.:D

How would we measure results? We would be at different starting points, for sure, as I am in COUCH mode right now. I'll be doing the couch to 5k thing, I think.

weight loss isnt my main goal. Getting in better shape, having more enderance, having somthing to do this winter since I don't have any motorcycle or car projects going. Thought this might be nice to better myself.

EXACTLY where I am. My weight is NOT an issue, at least not by more then 5 or 10 pounds. My problem is that I am WAY out of shape, and my cholesterol is a little bit high, the doctor says I need exercise..... DUH!!! Now tell me something I don't know! :lol:

My other thing is that I just feel like crap all the time, lethargic, lazy, something like that. I know that exercise will help.

lol.... mmmk :boxing::D I wouldn't start for another 2 weeks prolly (finals and whatnot :( )

I was going to start tonight on the c25k, still might even, but some home "issues" slowed me down a bit, right now. I might just go for a decent, brisk walk.

redkow- i really like this also. I am going to toss this in every now and then

Playing card pushups... Sounds like a butt kicker to me! I think tonight is just going to be a nice brisk walk around the parking lot at Kroger before and one after I pick up a few things.

nothing wrong with that!

Random question on those who watch there diets. Whats a typical day of eating look like for you?

nothing wrong with that!

Random question on those who watch there diets. Whats a typical day of eating look like for you?

How much do you desire to weigh? At 2200 cals/day given my workout schedule (I conservatively planned to burn 1500 cals/week - and just my 10k tonight was 1050 cals, so I know I blast well beyond that 1500 cals)... I'm 'supposed' to weigh 185lbs. And I did, until I changed my diet and gained it back. But, my pants never got tighter, so... I like to chalk it up to muscle building. I think?

I am happy with my weight, but i want to tone things up a bit. My diet is shit. I figure this is a good time to make some changes to that also. I currently weight about 185-190. I wear a size 32-or 34 in jeans just depends. I am also attempting to fight the " I moved in with my girlfriend and got a beer belly" epidemic.

nothing wrong with that!

I dont know if i'm doing it right, but I've cut back from

my past typical daily diet:

-fancy med. coffee

-1 or 2 fast food items

-random snacking (fruit snacks, chips, etc)

-BDubs, chipotle, steak n shake, or equivalent

my typical daily diet now:

-med coffee (fake sugar lowfat milk)

-bagel with light creme cheese

-sandwich (usually ham & cheese or roast beef & cheese)

-random vegetable or fruit

-granola bar or a small handful of chips (can't cut out all the fun)

-random dinner dish, chunk of meat of some sort and noodles or taters or similar item

-something small and sweet... like cookie or something, but SMALL

I still go out to eat a lot, and when I'm craving chipotle, I just make sure that I have some leftover to eat later when I'm hungry again. I dont eat to lose weight though. If i work out, I eat more.

I dont think my diet is all that healthy now that I'm looking at it.... might want to up my fruits and veggies intake....

Ohh, you want particular food??

Give me any day between 1/1/2007 and the present and I can tell you exactly what I ate that day and how many calories I 'charged' myself (Save for some minor days of exceptions where I was traveling or something and couldn't get to my spreadsheet)