welp...I'm an idiot

flyboy1011

So I have my wheels off for new tires and pumped the front brakes...I'm an idiot, I know. So what do i do to get the pads back apart?

hehe, attach the bleeding tube, loosen the bleeder valve. Should be able to pry the pads apart, can use a flathead screwdriver to get in and loosen it.

We've all done it. The C-clamp works on the calipers that "one side rides on rods or bolts". It won't work on floating calipers, where the entire caliper moves as one piece. (edit: unless there's a way to get that C-clamp in there on the backside of the pad opposite the piston.) For floating calipers you'll be prying the pads apart. As said, relieve the pressure by opening the caliper bleeder valve, and begin pushing the pistons back. Use the clear drain hose to prevent brake fluid on everything, and to be able to see your progress.

Slow steady pressure is what you want to use. The piston will move, but slowly. Push on the pad or piston, and hold the force on it, it will move slowly back.

At some point you will be able to remove the pads to make it easier. Then you can put it back over the rotor and just lean or pull on it with both hands to make the piston move back. Try to keep the pads oriented so they go back in the same places, the same way. Do not get brake fluid on the pads or rotors.

Typical is not pushing the piston(s) back far enough when installing new pads. Then it's the remove one or both pads, or install the old pads again, and put the caliper back on the rotor. Push more to fully retract the piston.

My rear brake can be moved without opening a caliper bleeder valve. Just loosening the fluid reservoir cap will work for that. Push harder and longer. (She said)

I've actually had the brake pads close up, on their own, while I wasn't looking. duh me. Ever since then I work a little faster, or put something between the pads while I'm working.

Edited by ReconRat

pending on the last time you replaced the fluids this might be a good time. I ride pretty hard so I replace my brake fluid every season. Everyone has had to separate a set of pads thats why there are so many people offering advice, it is no big deal, you wont ruin a set of calipers not even on a car. As mentioned above some soft compound pads will be ruined using a screw driver to separate the pads there just isn't enough surface to displace the energy. A C-clamp works on most cars but a lot of motorcycle calipers it is difficult to maneuver in the tight area. I can usually just open the bleed screw and use my fingers to separate the pads.

I never done this but after replacing my front brake pads and putting all back together and was getting ready to take a ride, I went to pull out of the yard and I went to hit my brakes I had none,I forgot to pump them back up. I hit the side of the garage,Luckily I was only going about 4 or 5 mph. DUH......Anyways good luck on getting the pads apart.

I never done this but after replacing my front brake pads and putting all back together and was getting ready to take a ride, I went to pull out of the yard and I went to hit my brakes I had none,I forgot to pump them back up. I hit the side of the garage,Luckily I was only going about 4 or 5 mph. DUH......Anyways good luck on getting the pads apart.

I've done that (cars and bikes!) Actually, I make TRY to it a habit to test the brake pedal on any car that I work on before moving it. I sometimes forget and have an "oh shit" moment!