Weekend trip to the Gap?

Casper

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the fun isn't even at the Gap, FYI. So don't worry about traffic, Harleys, minivans, etc. You go through a few times to say you did it then hit the fun roads.

+1 I really dont care to ride the Dragon. The Hellbender, Cherahala, etc are more fun and less crowded.

I'll take that as an "I'm in" and I assume you've got room in the trailer for my bike too. :D

If I can make it, I'm sure I can fit your bike on the trailer or in the bed. Can haul 3 bikes without having to take the big trailer.

unless youre some kind of religious nut, sunday's south of the mason dixon's line, is not a cool place to be. just about everything is closed.

WTF? Never noticed that. The CROT is open 7 days as is everything in Robbinsville

If I can make it, I'm sure I can fit your bike on the trailer or in the bed. Can haul 3 bikes without having to take the big trailer.

Take the big trailer and I'll bring the sumo too that'll be blast down there and can serve as a back up bike incase someone breaks or goes down. Could bring the ninja too justincase.

Take the big trailer and I'll bring the sumo too that'll be blast down there and can serve as a back up bike incase someone breaks or goes down. Could bring the ninja too justincase.

Big trailer we can prolly fit 6 bikes but that shit's expensive to haul down there.

• 1 month later...
unless youre some kind of religious nut, sunday's south of the mason dixon's line, is not a cool place to be. just about everything is closed.

I've been riding down there for 25+ years and this is news to me.

Is anybody riding down? I wouldn't mind another trip to the gap.

I ride down on my ST1100 2-3 times per year. Give me a yell if you want to meet up in Cincinnati or Lexington on the way down. I like to ride down as well, but not many people do. I can usually go with a 2-3 day advance notice.

The ST is slow down there as it's a pig, but more comfy to ride for a distance.

don't mean to hijack, but I'm going in late April or mid-May. Are the Troopers,SO, etc still really bad down there? I didn't go the last 2 years because I was told by multiple people that it isn't worth it anymore. It sounds and looks (youtube) like a nightmare on the weekends.

don't mean to hijack, but I'm going in late April or mid-May. Are the Troopers,SO, etc still really bad down there? I didn't go the last 2 years because I was told by multiple people that it isn't worth it anymore. It sounds and looks (youtube) like a nightmare on the weekends.

I went there three times last year. In the general area of the dragon I only saw one cop, and that was inside deals gap drinking coffee. I hit it once on a weekend on a Saturday morning, it was no big deal. The other two trips were on Fridays and it was empty. There were people there but it was not a nightmare or anything.

And you are going early enough in the season that you will not have any crowds.

I went there three times last year. In the general area of the dragon I only saw one cop, and that was inside deals gap drinking coffee. I hit it once on a weekend on a Saturday morning, it was no big deal. The other two trips were on Fridays and it was empty. There were people there but it was not a nightmare or anything.

And you are going early enough in the season that you will not have any crowds.

Thank you, sir. Ya, I'm hoping to beat the crowds and the heat. Will be my first time there.....pretty pumped.

Ok guys, sorry to ask this. But where is the gap?

Deal's Gap is actually a business, it is a motorcycle 'resort'. Some hotel rooms, restaurant and t-shirt shop and gas. Deals Gap is located on the southern end of 'The Tail of the Dragon' which is highway 129 that basically goes south out of Knoxville TN across the Smokey Mountains into NC. It is right where 129 and 28 intersect. The section through the mountains is know as the dragon. 318 curves in 11 miles. It is a motorcycle mecca. This video tells you everything you need to know about the road and why everyone goes there, but in reality the road is more intense than even the video shows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

Link to the 'resort': http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

Edited by Tonik

Deal's Gap is actually a business, it is a motorcycle 'resort'. Some hotel rooms, restaurant and t-shirt shop and gas. Deals Gap is located on the southern end of 'The Tail of the Dragon' which is highway 129 that basically goes south out of Knoxville TN across the Smokey Mountains into NC. It is right where 129 and 28 intersect. The section through the mountains is know as the dragon. 311 curves in 11 miles. It is a motorcycle mecca. This video tells you everything you need to know about the road and why everyone goes there, but in reality the road is more intense than even the video shows.

Link to the 'resort': http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

thank you!