Sould I buy a Suzuki SV1000S??

ShankroidBeast

I like being naked. Although in this weather it makes my balls shrivel to the size of a couple of raisins....LOL

But you have to understand I'm an old dude and like the old school looks. So this is the best of both worlds for me. A standard that performs like a sportbike and sounds like rolling thunder coming down the road :)

<sigh> Ok, as long as you promise it'll be tastefully done and you save the OE fairings and parts you take off (in case I need them) :D

It probably would have been easier to start with a SV1000N instead of the 'S' model if you were going naked anyway - and the bars on the N are more upright than the bars on the S

Jussayin'

Have fun, and post lots of pics of the transformation :)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so, which one did you buy?

The copper one in Gahanna. The black one in Lancaster seller has very poor communication skills which would explain why his bike has been for sale for so long.

I'm happy with what I'm getting. It needs a little tlc but I'm fine with that because I have some real money to play with now and the bike is mechanically sound. Before when I buy a vehicle I usually spend every penny of funds available and have nothing left to customize. This way, half my budget goes to improvements so I get exactly what I want :)

Son-of-a-MF-bitch!!!!!

Today I was just hours away from paying the guy on a price we agreed on and AS I'm going to the bank to get the money out, I get a message that the bike has been sold. WTF???

Seems some 63 year old dude from Youngstown bought it THIS morning for the asking price. Can't really blame the guy, we agreed on a price, but I didn't hold it or anything and the guy bought it for more than a chunk than what I was going to pay.

Still sucks :(

Think I'll wait, pay more green, and get a tricked out 2nd gen FZ1. All the torque, more hp, and not that much more in insurance.

Son-of-a-MF-bitch!!!!!

Today I was just hours away from paying the guy on a price we agreed on and AS I'm going to the bank to get the money out, I get a message that the bike has been sold. WTF???

Seems some 63 year old dude from Youngstown bought it THIS morning for the asking price. Can't really blame the guy, we agreed on a price, but I didn't hold it or anything and the guy bought it for more than a chunk than what I was going to pay.

Still sucks :(

Think I'll wait, pay more green, and get a tricked out 2nd gen FZ1. All the torque, more hp, and not that much more in insurance.

And I say that this man has broken the law. Right or wrong, you had a deal. And the law says: bust a deal and face the wheel!*…

And I say that this man has broken the law. Right or wrong, you had a deal. And the law says: bust a deal and face the wheel!*…

Maybe this was a sign from above that I should get a Z1000?? They are FAST, they are NAKED and they look damn good doing it. Good qualities in BOTH a woman and a bike :D

I LOVE the look of the new ones. Yours looks really cool with that gold double pipe. But alas my budget is about $6k tops because I want to pay cash and not have payments. Realistically what kind of z1k could I get for that?

BTW if I were to do payments on a bike I'd buy the BMW S1000rr....no question

Edited by ShankroidBeast
went to scratch my ass and my finger broke through my underwear

I suppose the SV wasn't meant to be, but I'd still think you'd like a VFR or v-twin better than a FZ1.

The Zed1k, that's a whole different animal... you may want to try to contact KawayZ to see if his buddy still has his '03 Z1k for sale 'round the Norwalk area. I never went to look at it because I suddenly got short on funds, but it was a smoking deal and it was in my favorite color (orange). KawayZ also has put over 40k on his Z1k by himself, so if you want to know all about the pros and cons of that bike, he'd be the one I'd talk to.

I suppose the SV wasn't meant to be, but I'd still think you'd like a VFR or v-twin better than a FZ1.

The Zed1k, that's a whole different animal... you may want to try to contact KawayZ to see if his buddy still has his '03 Z1k for sale 'round the Norwalk area. I never went to look at it because I suddenly got short on funds, but it was a smoking deal and it was in my favorite color (orange). KawayZ also has put over 40k on his Z1k by himself, so if you want to know all about the pros and cons of that bike, he'd be the one I'd talk to.

I don't want a lot. I want a really cool looking, fast, fast bike, that has lots of torque and has a riding position that I can do 300 miles in one day. I'd like it light and nimble as well. Insurance rates are a concern but not all that much. How much more is a Hayabusa than a FZ1 for example? (and I can't make heads or tails of these "insurance" threads. The prices are always so all over the place)

Edited by ShankroidBeast
even if it sounds like a good idea, never dip your balls in a piranha tank

I don't want a lot. I want a really cool looking, fast, fast bike, that has lots of torque and has a riding position that I can do 300 miles in one day. I'd like it light and nimble as well. Insurance rates are a concern but not all that much. How much more is a Hayabusa than a FZ1 for example? (and I can make heads or tails of these "insurance" threads. The prices are always so all over the place)

You can afford a Gen1 busa in your price range, but compared to the FZ's I've seen on Craigslist and whatnot you're looking at a $2000-$3000 difference between the two - with the 'busa being more expensive.

It's all about the right tool for the right job. Hayabusa's are nice long distance cruisers, but I've put 500 miles/day on my Hayabusa and 500 mile days in on the SV too... the Hayabusa is smooth as silk, with power on tap, the SV is a hooligan bike, a thumper, that has a lot more riding personality that begs you to have fun with it. The FZ's are probably a mix right in between the two, the buzzy I4 engine doesn't really do anything for me (even in the Hayabusa) - it's just bland. Tons of power, but bland. So, it all depends on what type of riding you plan on doing, and what 'image' you want to have

Hayabusa - 1) You're a trendy black guy, or 2) You're a n00b squid that had to have the biggest and baddest bike because that's what everyone said was the fastest :rolleyes: or 3) You drag race, enjoy long distance cruising, but don't want to be a Harley fag, Goldwinger, or ride a touring bike. If you plan on hitting the twisties, the Busa is a pig compared to the other bikes... not saying it can't be done, but it's like using a belt sander to do the job of a Dremel.

SV - Hooligan bike, loves torquey vtwins, economical and cost effective without having to have an all-out sportbike like all the kids. Dare to be different. Love the sound.

FZ1 - Less hooligan than the SV, but likes more power and 'buzz'

Zed1k - Image is everything, I look badass, and the bike is badass enough to back me up unless we're on a sanctioned racetrack and you're on a fullon sportbike.

:D No offense to anyone if my stereotypes end up being complete mischaracterizations.

Insurance-wise:

My Hayabusa + the SV1k cost around $450/yr for me, but I don't carry collision on either of them, just liability and comp, so if I f*(k up, I pay for it. Out of that $450, the Hayabusa is around $420 of that, then with the multibike discount and adding the standard, it really only added about $15-$30 to my policy IIRC.

I think the FZ would insure similar to the SV as they'd both be considered "standards" (not sportbikes, like a 'busa, 600, or liter bike would)... if you quote them alone, without collision (that's always the expensive part next to liability), I think at your age you'd be around $80-$150/yr depending on your carrier.

Edited by JRMMiii

You can afford a Gen1 busa in your price range, but compared to the FZ's I've seen on Craigslist and whatnot you're looking at a $2000-$3000 difference between the two - with the 'busa being more expensive.

It's all about the right tool for the right job. Hayabusa's are nice long distance cruisers, but I've put 500 miles/day on my Hayabusa and 500 mile days in on the SV too... the Hayabusa is smooth as silk, with power on tap, the SV is a hooligan bike, a thumper, that has a lot more riding personality that begs you to have fun with it. The FZ's are probably a mix right in between the two, the buzzy I4 engine doesn't really do anything for me (even in the Hayabusa) - it's just bland. Tons of power, but bland. So, it all depends on what type of riding you plan on doing, and what 'image' you want to have

Hayabusa - 1) You're a trendy black guy, or 2) You're a n00b squid that had to have the biggest and baddest bike because that's what everyone said was the fastest :rolleyes: or 3) You drag race, enjoy long distance cruising, but don't want to be a Harley fag, Goldwinger, or ride a touring bike. If you plan on hitting the twisties, the Busa is a pig compared to the other bikes... not saying it can't be done, but it's like using a belt sander to do the job of a Dremel.

SV - Hooligan bike, loves torquey vtwins, economical and cost effective without having to have an all-out sportbike like all the kids. Dare to be different. Love the sound.

FZ1 - Less hooligan than the SV, but likes more power and 'buzz'

Zed1k - Image is everything, I look badass, and the bike is badass enough to back me up unless we're on a sanctioned racetrack and you're on a fullon sportbike.

:D No offense to anyone if my stereotypes end up being complete mischaracterizations.

Insurance-wise:

My Hayabusa + the SV1k cost around $450/yr for me, but I don't carry collision on either of them, just liability and comp, so if I f*(k up, I pay for it. Out of that $450, the Hayabusa is around $420 of that, then with the multibike discount and adding the standard, it really only added about $15-$30 to my policy IIRC.

I think the FZ would insure similar to the SV as they'd both be considered "standards" (not sportbikes, like a 'busa, 600, or liter bike would)... if you quote them alone, without collision (that's always the expensive part next to liability), I think at your age you'd be around $80-$150/yr depending on your carrier.

Wow my head is spinning from all that information...holy crap. Some really great advice. Decided I'm selling my communter car and my Magna and getting a great bike. I'll be satisified with so many bikes.

But to be honest a 2008+ busa is the king of the hill, "fastest production vehicle under one million dollars" And that's the truth. And yes the ZX-14 may be .02 faster, but it looks strange.

Think i'm getting a Busa. No matter what my rich friends will buy, I will always be faster ;)

But to be honest a 2008+ busa is the king of the hill, "fastest production vehicle under one million dollars" And that's the truth. And yes the ZX-14 may be .02 faster, but it looks strange.

Think i'm getting a Busa. No matter what my rich friends will buy, I will always be faster ;)

Now you've up and done it... you just turned it into a ZX vs. Busa thread... the vultures will converge shortly.

Good luck with your search(es)

My motto for the SV1000 - "All the weight of a liter bike, with the power of a 600."
I want a really cool looking, fast, fast bike, that has lots of torque and has a riding position that I can do 300 miles in one day.

I have done 1000 mile days on a Hayabusa, 400 mile days on 600s and a few on my newer 1000. Comfort is different for everyone; I hated the Road King for comfort.

The right rider will keep up with most any bike on a so called inferior machine. I have ridden with people riding XB9s with the HD sportster motor that I couldn't get away from with my 1000 sport bike. I have also been able to keep up with 1000 sport bikes with a 600. If I hadn’t found such a good deal on my 1000 I would have been out trying to buy a 600 and wouldn’t have felt out gunned by the bigger bikes. You aren’t really looking at fast bikes but who cares buy what you want and have fun.

My previous bike was an 05 SV1000S (all black). I loved it, and miss it for it's passenger capabilities and smooth engine (150mph doesn't feel much different than 80mph). I would have kept it forever if I hadn't totalled it. The only thing is that the stock exhaust sounds like the spaceships in the Jetsons.

A lot of girls seem to like the SV1000S moreso than my 1125R for some reason. It must be the comfy passenger seat with grab rail.

Now you've up and done it... you just turned it into a ZX vs. Busa thread... the vultures will converge shortly.

Good luck with your search(es)

Ha ha. Not me :)

I LOVE the ZX's (ZX10r my favorite) all except the styling of the 14 (looks like a bug with a banana up its ass), although I've seen some really cool custom ones.

The right rider will keep up with most any bike on a so called inferior machine. I have ridden with people riding XB9s with the HD sportster motor that I couldn't get away from with my 1000 sport bike. I have also been able to keep up with 1000 sport bikes with a 600. If I hadn’t found such a good deal on my 1000 I would have been out trying to buy a 600 and wouldn’t have felt out gunned by the bigger bikes. You aren’t really looking at fast bikes but who cares buy what you want and have fun.

^ +1.

On my 600RR, i've been passed (on the brakes) by a Honda Hawk, and I've gotten the drive to pass an FZ1 coming out of a turn.

in both cases, the bike doing the passing was probably giving up 40hp...

I'll muddy the waters even more for the OP - look into the 1125cr. Black-out the cooling 'scoops,' and replace the headlight, and it's a pretty bad-ass looking 'naked' bike.

that $6k budget should cover one.