yet another night in the shop

ousley99

so, last night, with the tues night crew, we decided to roll over to fitzgeralds and check out there bike night after the usuall bw3 wings. on 270 passing 23 my bike gets stuck in between 4-5 gears. after a couple more tries, i got pissed and stomped on it to try and get it back into a gear. apparently i stomped to hard and the entire rear set broke off, hanging from the shift lever off the case dragging the ground. so, once again, the limited will be ridden a limited number of times, lol, and put back in the shop till the new one comes in.

does motorcycle transmissions have syncronisers like cars do? if not, there is something not right in the tranny!

so, last night, with the tues night crew, we decided to roll over to fitzgeralds and check out there bike night after the usuall bw3 wings. on 270 passing 23 my bike gets stuck in between 4-5 gears. after a couple more tries, i got pissed and stomped on it to try and get it back into a gear. apparently i stomped to hard and the entire rear set broke off, hanging from the shift lever off the case dragging the ground. so, once again, the limited will be ridden a limited number of times, lol, and put back in the shop till the new one comes in.

does motorcycle transmissions have syncronisers like cars do? if not, there is something not right in the tranny!

You may have a bent shift fork.. hopefully you dont have to tear the tranny apart but it sounds like you might. PS. I know nothing of the tuesday night ride but I love me some BW3...

they covered the rear set under warranty.. i asked about the shift fork.. they said kaw wouldnt cover that.. im just going to keep riding it with the new stock rear set for now, and tear it apart this winter. i was also thinking since it'll already be apart, might as well go +.30 and blue print it.. hopefully it'll be ready for a 200mph top speed run next year

and yes i am talking about a 1030 kit. not sure of the tech term, but u got it. i was talking to one of my old motocross sponsors about doing it and it shouldnt be that expensive. i just have to tear it completly down, and he will do all the machine work. i know you dont have to take the engine apart to look inside the tranny, but your halfway there so why not!?

yes. not wearing a helmet will def help me go faster... jackass, i excercise my right to not wear one when im riding around town or going to qs&l, not at the track, going on a ride, or a top speed run...

Defensive much? I was making a joke however you managed to impress everyone yet again with your witty comments and imaginary 1030 kit

http://www.robinsonindustriesinc.com/assets/images/h22setsm.jpg

No they dont have synchronizers. If you look at the gear in the picture on the rt it is the gear that gets engaged by the shift ring. The shift ring has three 3/8inch or so pins sticking out of the ring that the shift fork controls. When you push the shifter it forces the next gear shift ring over and the three pins engage the three slots in the gear. All bikes as far as I know use this method of shifting and because the slot in the gear is 80 percent open and 20 percent or so closed... If you jab at your shifter it could hit the closed part between the holes and it will go into neutral and not engage the next gear. The gears in my honda cruiser look almost identical except for size to all the other gears in (as far as I know) all the other motorcyle trannys in recent history. I have done the same thing on my bike and you just have to change throttle position while letting up slightly on the shifter to allow it to slide in the hole. When upshifting at normal traffic speeds or just upshifting to cruise the engine speed and the rear tire speed could be close enough to cause this problem. Slipping the clutch slightly will also solve the problem as it will create a difference in speed of the gear and the shift ring or dog ring as I have heard them called. :cool:

they covered the rear set under warranty.. i asked about the shift fork.. they said kaw wouldnt cover that.. im just going to keep riding it with the new stock rear set for now, and tear it apart this winter. i was also thinking since it'll already be apart, might as well go +.30 and blue print it.. hopefully it'll be ready for a 200mph top speed run next year

I'd like to see that documented. It takes ALOT to do 200mph on GPS or accurate radar. It's NOT an easy task. If you do more power to you and congratulations. But it is NOT an easy accomplishment. Do it at the Maxton mile and meet up with Ace Performance, they will get your 10 at 200mph, depending on how light you are. Not many literbikes get 200mph, so if you do it, you may end up in a magazine with an interview.

http://www.ecta-lsr.com/?%20page_id=85