I need some tips regarding riding and children

Sara_Rides

Michael just brought home an 03 Honda Shadow Spirit. Eventually it will be solely MY bike. For now, it's ours. I am taking the class in April and I'm hoping to ride every chance I get. My problem is that we have a 4 year old so I can't ride everytime I want to. I eventually want to put him on my bike. Fully geared and safe, of course, but my problem is....we can't seem to find what the laws are for children on motorcycles. Does anyone have any websites or know the rule of thumb for putting your children on your bike?? I want to get out there and ride all the time, but I can't as a stay at home Mom. I'd like to learn what the rules are and where to find child sized gear etc. so I can get out there more often. Any help you have would be great!!

Thanks!

---Sara

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kids under 18 need a dot helmet, eye protection, and must be able to reach the pegs. (I've heard 2 versions of this: 1 is it is legal to mod the pegs, the other is that they must be in stock location)

other than that, it's your own parental discretion.

Well, what do you feel personally is acceptable? Especially for me, as a novice rider? Is it a bad idea for me to even be considering it? I certainly don't want to put him at risk, but I want to get out there and ride as much as possible.

I see nothing wrong with it...

Obviously the child's maturity level and comprehension play into the equation.

I have no children, so no personal frame of reference, but I think a backrest/sissy bar would be a great idea, the helmet should be full face, properly fitted and snell approved, some type of reinforced clothing (leather is best), and some way of holding on securely. (koz's weight belt seems to work pretty well for his kiddo)

Currently have 4 kids with a soon to be 4 year old

I grew up on the back of a bike Sara... Check my albums

Went to California & back in a sidecar at age 10

Back of my dad's buddies' bikes prior to that, to Smoky Mtn's, Manitoba Canada, & all over the tri-state area

All that said.... My older 3 didn't get on the bike until almost twice my toddlers age, and that was just around the neighborhood. I myself don't remember going on "real" rides with my dad until probably that same age

You said it yourself.... You're a novice rider yourself

Just my $.02 since you asked

He'll be riding with me more than Sara at first, until she gets some more miles under her belt anyway. He's a pretty big kid and he can already reach the pass. pegs on the Spirit, so legally are we good? :confused:

We're certainly not going to attempt to ride across the country with him, but it would be nice for her and I to be able to ride together more often than the 1 week a month the kid goes to visit the sperm donors house.. :rolleyes:

I've seen a few different types of belts that have some kind of connecting device for this exact purpose but I have no experience with said products.

I know VrodDave rides Bailey around, Bailey is a bit older though. He wears full gear, and has a strap he holds onto that wraps around Dave.

May want to ask him, I'm sure Fonzie knows what is going on as well like he said above.

I would wait at least until next season to put him on the the bike with you though. Give him another year to grow a bit and get some experience under your belt too.

An adult passenger understands the risks and usually can obey the safely regulations given to them by the driver. Not that your child wouldn't follow your rules, but a four old can easily daydream, and it could only take a second of him not being alert for something to happen.

I dunno though, the closest I have to a child is my mini wiener dog. I don't let him ride with me. He doesn't hold on very well. :)

Michael just brought home an 03 Honda Shadow Spirit. Eventually it will be solely MY bike. For now, it's ours. I am taking the class in April and I'm hoping to ride every chance I get. My problem is that we have a 4 year old so I can't ride everytime I want to. I eventually want to put him on my bike. Fully geared and safe, of course, but my problem is....we can't seem to find what the laws are for children on motorcycles. Does anyone have any websites or know the rule of thumb for putting your children on your bike?? I want to get out there and ride all the time, but I can't as a stay at home Mom. I'd like to learn what the rules are and where to find child sized gear etc. so I can get out there more often. Any help you have would be great!!

Thanks!

---Sara

I dont think putting a 4 year old on a motorcycle is a good idea. I would wait till he's 11 or 12. You are a begining rider and have much to learn on riding. Also I think legally you have to have a year of experience to ride a passenger.

MD

Edited by mello dude

Also I think legally you have to have a year of experience to ride a passenger.

MD

wrong, all you need is a full license/endorsement. (not a permit)

I think a kid has to be 5 years to be on a bike. Not 100% sure but I think I saw somewhere they had to be 5.

If he can reach the passenger pegs, has a dot helmet, and eye protection, you're cool legally... the rest is your discretion. Minimum age is not declared in any laws.

Edited by magley64

I started riding my daughter around town slowly at about age 8. I had about 20 years under my belt at that point. Last year she went on her first real "long" ride to hocking at age 11. She wears full gear and I ride very conservatively with her on the bike.

I wouldnt put a kid on the bike until they are old enough to have a grasp of passenger riding techniques and how to hold on.

Well, what do you feel personally is acceptable? Especially for me, as a novice rider? Is it a bad idea for me to even be considering it? I certainly don't want to put him at risk, but I want to get out there and ride as much as possible.

I don't know you and I've never seen you ride. However have read several posts about your crashes and on-top of that you just said you're signed up for your riders course so I assume you've still only got temps...... So why in the hell are you even considering putting a fidgety 4yo on a bike with you when you can barely ride yourself?

Now I don't want to sound like an ass but from the posts of yours I have read and the Pict's you've been posting it seems to me you're just out for attention and that's kinda lame but hey everyones got to have a hobby. I just hope you're not going to put your kid at risk just to get a little attention.

I'm done flame away if you wish but I think I'm not far off the truth.

MY $.02....I gave my son his first ride when he was 7. He could reach the pegs with the arch of his foot, not the ball of it or the tip of his toes, and his arms were long enough to wrap around to the open front pockets of leather, which he grabbed like handles. (FWIW, they make a device called the Buddy Belt, which is basically a weightlifter's belt with hand grips sewn onto it.) I am not an advocate of attaching my child to me by any sort of tether or connective harness. God forbid we do exit the motorcycle, the last thing he needs is his 190+ lbs. father rolling over him again and again.

I have taken Zach to a friends house once via suburban back roads and to school a few times. He has a helmet and is geared up. My philosophy was this. When he (and someday my diminutive daughter) can sit back there and control their own body as any other passenger would then I would take them. IMHO, if they are not capbale of maintaining their own correct riding position, they do not belong back there. For Zach, that day came when he was 7. For my daughter, that may take much longer becasue she is very small for her age.

Sara, my advice would be to wait until you have complete confidence in your riding ability, your ability on this newer bike, and your son's ability to understand and comprehend being a passenger on your bike, and completely understand the instruction you will give him about riding back there. That may sound like a lot, but it pales in comparison to seeing a 4 ft. casket. Him growing up around a mother and people that love him that have been on bikes since before he was born, he is ahead of a lot of kids his age. And no one knows him better than you. And regardsless of your own experience, if you have a shred of doubt about his ability to understand what he is to do and not do back there, then I would say the answer is no.

My son took his first ride at a very early age. I would place him on the tank and putt up and down the alley. When he got older at about 4 we would take rides around the neighbor. He was to small to ride on back so I had him sit in front of me with his hands on the tank, After a while I would let him steer and hold the gas. I lived on a small Naval base and he was driving to pre school. When he got to big to sit up front I got him his own bike and he moved to the back seat. I did the same with my Daughter. This is how my Dad rode me around.

I agree with RVT Pilot. Get your confidence up. I never had any problems with police while I had my kids riding up front with me but it is illegal I believe. Definately stay on back rodes away from traffic until you both get comfortable. Call a sitter or set up some play dates for your boy so you can ride more often. Before you know it you will be riding side be side with your son when he gets his temps. Like I was yesterday

Edited by SirPsycho

you do have to have your endorsement for 1 year before you can ride passengers, (this is newer in the past few years, before you just had to have your endorsement). That being said...

Sell your kid for cash on ebay, craigslist, blackmarket... whatever.

Use that money to buy a new, better motorcycle. Put some custom pinstriping and maybe airbrush his/her face on it and then you can always have him/her with you when you ride. Problem solved!

(a 4 year old on the back of your bike and you haven't been riding for very long? Too bad you don't have to have a license to have kids)

My wife and I ride our two boys everywere. Granted on scooters because of there ages (last year 2 and 4 ). So far we haven't even recieved a passing glance from law enforcement. My thoughts our it truly is up to us as responsible motorcyclists and as parents to manage risk as best we can.That seems to be true for almost all asspects of our childrens lives so nobody should deem us as irresponsible for allowing them to enjoy all the time together that we can.