New Girl

Ms. J

Hey all,

I am between Cincy and Columbus. I am completely new to riding, and hoping to get my first bike very soon. I am thinking of getting a Ninja 250/500, if anyone is looking for a buyer in my area. I have wanted a bike since high school, so I am really excited to be getting one soon.

Taking my temps test tomorrow, so wish me luck!

Jamie

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all,

I am between Cincy and Columbus. I am completely new to riding, and hoping to get my first bike very soon. I am thinking of getting a Ninja 250/500, if anyone is looking for a buyer in my area. I have wanted a bike since high school, so I am really excited to be getting one soon.

Taking my temps test tomorrow, so wish me luck!

Jamie

it pleases me to be the first :leghump: to welcome you. Good luck on the test tomorrow. If there's one thing I've learned from re-upping my temps over the years, is that the first thing you do when you sit down at the booth is abandon all logic and independent thinking. There will be a shitload of questions that have nothing to do with riding (mostly DUI stuff), and the correct answer is usually the most severe penalty available. You should do fine.

Hi, I know you said you've never had a bike before so I would suggest the 250. It's a quick bike that you can learn from. Speed and quickness will come with experience. Getting a bigger, faster bike now won't give you the opportunity to learn. Making mistakes on a 250 is how you learn... making mistakes on a 500 could be disastrous

Thanks, RacerRich. My sister-in-law got a 250 last year, but by the end of the season she wanted a 500. She suggested going with the bigger bike, but taking the class first (which I plan to take anyway). Glad to hear some other thoughts though. It is a tough decision to make when you have no experience :)

My recommendation is start out on a 250. Quite a few people on here have, myself included. The 250 wont really overwhelm you and you can learn the basics and good riding habits. If you get a bike you can't handle, well that won't do you much good in the long run.

I am glad you are taking it slow on gettin a 250 or 500! I started out riding a 500 for two years and was glad that I did it! To many knuckleheads get 600 sportbikes or higher and are idiots on the road!! Good luck with your rider safety test, I took that as well and really gained some valuable knowledge, as well as skills.

I started out on Ninja 500 last year, got bored quickly, then moved up to a Ninja ZX-6R. I plan on getting a 1000cc bike once I get back from Afghan next year. I do feel the 500 was a great beginner bike to start out on, and if you are a person that likes to push your limits a little, then I'm sure you'll want to move up soon as well, (especially when you see other peoples bikes). Whatever you choose to get, just make sure you respect what it can do.

I'd buy a used 250. The fuel mileage is insane, and you won't lose any money when you sell it to another n00b next spring. After lot's of experience on the 250 you will probably want to upgrade past a 500. You will probably want to get something like a SV650.

Hello to another Blan person!

Wouldn't really call that "between" cincy and Columbus, but hi.

I'd start with the 250, unless you're a bigger girl, (i think the term is bbw) That's the only reason I could think of that you'd want to upgrade sooner. I'm 200 pounds, and a 250 can scooter me around just fine.

Thanks! Any input on starting with a 500 instead of a 250? I keep hearing that people want a bigger bike right away if they start with the 250.

welcome, and i think (my personla opinion) you will get bored right away with it. I started with a 650 and want a bigger bike but im getting a few seasons under my belt before i go to a 1000. goot luck with your choice.