New Girl

Ms. J

Welcome. I have a 250 and am very happy that I started small. It's easy to handle I am only 5'2 so I can touch the ground lol and I had no experience it has been easy to learn on so far and easy to handle. I am sure after some time I will want to upgrade possibly but it definitely gets me around fine for now ;)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome, and i think (my personla opinion) you will get bored right away with it. I started with a 650 and want a bigger bike but im getting a few seasons under my belt before i go to a 1000. goot luck with your choice.

i have been riding for over 30 years and im still happy with my sv650.....miles of smiles. oh yeah....WELCOME !!!! :)

Welcome!!! There are some nice roads your way.

Yes there are! I think my tiny town will be a good place to learn, and a lot of people ride around here.

Any chance you could buy her 250 for cheap? :)

Can't buy hers :( She still owes a good amount on it, and plans on keeping it until she is done with school.

....i think I know you....perhaps. :D

Let me think....where do I know you from? :grin:

Take the MSF!

I am going to take it for sure!

To everyone else....thanks for all the welcomes and tips. Much appreciated!

Welcome to the madness. Look out for that relationship guy :lol:

Doing the 250 or the 500 is a wise choice. If you can afford the 2008 + Ninja 250 I would go that route. Those bike are very fun to ride. Learn how to go fast on that, and you will be good to go moving up to a 600 or 650 or 748 ;)

Good luck!

I started out on Ninja 500 last year, got bored quickly, then moved up to a Ninja ZX-6R. I plan on getting a 1000cc bike once I get back from Afghan next year. I do feel the 500 was a great beginner bike to start out on, and if you are a person that likes to push your limits a little, then I'm sure you'll want to move up soon as well, (especially when you see other peoples bikes). Whatever you choose to get, just make sure you respect what it can do.

this from the guy who totaled both a 500 and a 650 in the same year...:D I started on an 800 cc cruiser for a first bike, and honestly I think it made me a better rider for when I got the 600 sportbike. I have confidence, and less fear from being forced to take it slowly into turns and curves... I see a definite improvement in my abilities over the past few years... and of course I have over 20 thousand miles on the cruiser and close to 2 on the sportbike as experience... I would suggest you find a bike you are comfortable with to start out and keep for a few years, then work up as you gain confidence and experience. And, go out every time you can with other riders to gain experience from them. As they say "f- it let's ride!"

my first bike was a yz250f...first street bike is a vmax, its a 1200 cruiser...im already wishing i had the funds to step up to a 1000 sport bike...start out slow and you will get hooked, just take it easy...you can start on anything as long as you use some common sense...a bike is only as fast as the rider makes it go

I started out on Ninja 500 last year, got bored quickly, then moved up to a Ninja ZX-6R. I plan on getting a 1000cc bike once I get back from Afghan next year. I do feel the 500 was a great beginner bike to start out on, and if you are a person that likes to push your limits a little, then I'm sure you'll want to move up soon as well, (especially when you see other peoples bikes). Whatever you choose to get, just make sure you respect what it can do.
this from the guy who totaled both a 500 and a 650 in the same year...:D

Ouch someone just got called out! haha oh and welcome Ms. J!

all this proves is that you get used to ANY amount of power eventually.

with that in mind, I've consciously avoided buying bigger and bigger bikes.

driving an econobox car makes my EX500 feel pretty darn fast. Riding my EX500 makes my 600RR feel pretty insane. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Unless the OP is extremely short, there's nothing wrong with getting a 500 as your first bike. The GS 500 is actually almost dead nuts between the EX250 and EX500 when it comes to horsepower. Better looking too. I prefer the naked GS, but if people like GSXR's the faired GS 500 looks similar.

Thanks! Any input on starting with a 500 instead of a 250? I keep hearing that people want a bigger bike right away if they start with the 250.

I say start with a 500 as long as you have taken some training course (BRC RECOMMENDED) and you realize that you don't have to go over 100mph even though you could.

I started on a 750... a cruiser.. not a sportbike.. but still. I knew I'd be sick of a 250 fast.

I suggest a 2008-2009 Ninja 250.... Hands down the best learning bike. I started on one and have no regrets. The guys on "big bikes" could only out run me in the straights ;) hahah. So get a 250, ride the shit out of it then the following year sell it and then upgrade to whatever you want. You HAVE GOT To learn the fundamentals of riding on a pretty basic bike so you dont kill yourself. Yeah, you'll get tired of it by the end of the season, but you will also have a lot more confidence and respect before getting on a "bigger" bike.

ps... the 08-09 ninja 250's are holding their value. I piked mine up for 3k, rode it a year, sold it for 3k. :)

ps... the 08-09 ninja 250's are holding their value. I piked mine up for 3k, rode it a year, sold it for 3k. :)

They are also hard to find right now! Can't find what I want on CL, and have been to 3 dealers. Can't even find a used one at a dealer at the moment!