Motorcycle Airbags

Casper

Good answer IP.

I was in a wreck one time where my airbag went off. Between that and my seatbelt, they kept me from eating the steering wheel or windshield. I'm fine with them in cages. Bikes on the other hand, I think they could do a lot more damage than help. Not every wreck is a head on collision. I dunno tho...

if it helps, and it's not obstructive when riding, why not?quote]

I agree, there's no reason why I wouldn't want a little extra protection. My only concern would be how effective it would truly be seeing that there are countless ways we can wreck....

How do the sensors work? What triggers the airbag? I'm just wondering if like a nasty pothole could set it off and send you flying off the bike?

I'd imagine it would be like the impact sensor on cars. It gets crushed, bag blows. Not like a gyroscope or something. My worry is if you low side and then hit something head on, could this be worsened by the air bag blowing? Or doing a stoppie and flip it? Too many variables I think.

Same premise as a car system. Accelerometer placed in the bike senses severe G-load and fires the bag. It's probably got a sensor mounted near the bottom of the forks or front of the fairing. A high g-load in that area would give the airbag just enough time to activate before you get to that area.

^^--- It'd be a single axis accelerometer. Fore/aft only to prevent the garage tipover situation. You'd also only need to program the ECU to read the -neg axis value (decel).

But even with all that "logic", I wouldn't get too crazy doing stoppies.