Fuel ...need your opinion....

Doomking

Aside from the octane lvl of 92, which is the brand name station that you use/favor the most? Bp, Shell,Marathon etc? Why?

I am heard that some station use more alcohol than others. I usually prefer to drink it instead than putting it into the gas tank, but is it good or bad for our bikes?

let's hear it....

no difference just a name on the sign...... as long as the owners are stand up and putting the right fuel in the right tanks you should be ok

You always get yours at the same place, you even go out of your way to get there gotta be somthing different. :D

We've had previous threads on this subject.

1. All gasoline is the same. Either high octane or low octane or a blend of the two. It comes from a pipe line from a refinery, and is stored in large tanks. It is picked up by tanker trucks, and delivered to gas stations. It's all the same, except... on the way to the gas stations, the tanker trucks add in a batch of simple additives to make it "the type of fuel you are paying extra for". Mostly detergent.

2. Running the wrong octane fuel, either lower or higher than what your engine should have, will either damage the engine, or rob some of your power produced.

3. Buy your fuel from good gas stations that have good clean tanks in the ground. You are less likely to get dirt and water from a newer gas station.

If I have choices, Shell Because I like the Shell-Skull-Iran-Animated.gif Many times it's Speedway because it's right down the street from my house. Rarely if ever do I put in BP just because I don't like BP and never have. Can't tell you why just always have. But many times when I'm out riding I end up in BFE and get whatever gas is there when I need it. I also avoid any gas stations that are getting filled. Every so often I'll run some Seafoam threw it but that's not often. 87 octane is all the Sv calls for and with no pinging and no issues ever I'll stick with it.

To add to Recon Rat, don't buy fuel from a station that just got refueled.

I remember making that mistake. At an old gas station along the freeway. The batch of fuel stirred up all the water and garbage, and the car would barely run to the next gas station to add better fuel. I wasn't alone, the clue was stalled cars all over the freeway. It made the news and the city closed it down to get the tanks cleaned out. I wouldn't be surprised if the tanker was selling the station a load of water either.

I will admit I don't like BP either. It's the only station that has short changed me on fuel with bad pump meters. Happening more than once is deliberate in my opinion. It was probably only that one station's owner.

My Dad always said Shell was the best, because they supply all the fuel for aviation. But I tend to go for something cheaper, and I use UDF and Speedway. Both are generally newer stations with clean tanks. I think UDF fuel is supplied by Mobil, and Speedway fuel is supplied by Marathon. But like I said, it's all the same fuel anyway.

The percent of alcohol in fuel used to be variable, but it appears to also be all the same now. It's now regulated to not be more than a certain maximum mixed in the fuel. It will vary from state to state per each state's regulations.

Gasohol was cool, and ran great in inline fours. And smelled like whiskey to everyone behind you. Gasohol was high percentages of ethanol (grain alcohol) instead of methanol. As high as it could go and still run ok. My I-4 motorcycle got great gas mileage on it, but the V-8 car got terrible mileage using it. Both types of alcohol can cause problems with seals and gaskets and plastic parts on older vehicles from back in the day before alcohol was added to the fuel. Which means anything old enough to run leaded fuel, and a few years past that. The exact year that manufacturers switched over to better parts escapes me.

Opinion: Gas stations do not make any money from selling gasoline. They make money from selling all that stuff inside the store. The store that gas stations never used to have. This means that all gas stations are selling the cheapest fuel that they can possibly buy. So it's a good thing actually, that all fuel is the same. And regulated and inspected by the state to be that way.

no difference just a name on the sign...... as long as the owners are stand up and putting the right fuel in the right tanks you should be ok

I got nailed by that at a station in Kentucky on I-75. Obviously low octane fuel when I had pumped high octane. When that fuel made it into the engine, I thought the engine exploded. It was a high compression van engine with mechanical variable timing to adjust for low octane fuel. Well it did, and the van nearly stopped right there going uphill.

Shell and Sunoco are the two highest rated gas companies widely availible in Ohio, seeing as all the Sunocos in Lancaster closed, I run Shell.

I've noticed improvement on Shell on my bikes over others, but every time I get Shell gas in the Lexus, the mpg's are lower every time.

todd i might be a little impartial :lol:

recon since we are in the gas business we get to hear some of the horror stories, and let me tell you there are some shady people out there. I have heard of people taking 87 gas and sticking it in the 93. i know for a fact it happened to me in my Acura once from a BP station in michigan, for that reason i no longer buy from any BP stations. If i cant get to our station i will use only Shell the cleaning agents they have are really great and in all my vehicles i get the best mileage over any other.

I use Shell as much as possible, never had any problems with it and i have a shell gas card for 5% off. i have no problem using BP. but i try to stick with those two.

I run vpower in my car and 89 or vpower in the bike.