2005 Honda RC51 sale or trade

garysol1

As many of you know I have not had my RC51 long but I have had it long enough to know that I am not as limber as I once was and after 2.5 hours in the saddle the fun is over for me. My back and wrists just don't like the ergonomics.

I would love to do a trade for a Sport Tourer or possibly even a Adventure type bike of equal or lesser value. I am pretty open to offers.

My bike has just over 18k and is immaculate. No cracks, scratches or other funny business. Never dropped. Within the past few weeks she has gotten new OEM brake pads, Oil change with OEM filter and Mobil MC specific synthetic oil and brand new Michelin Pilot Power 2CT tires. Chain has about 1,000 miles. Service manual included. Clean Ohio title.

includes rear seat and rubber gasket as well as the solo cover.

Mods are few...Sato Low pipes

Power Commander

Pair Mod

Sale price is $5,500 firm or trade for equal or lesser value.

IMG_0743.jpg

Edited by garysol1

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary! Unbelievable! I clearly remember all that you went through and how excited you were to get this bike. But, I do know it's seriously impossible to ignore the absolute unnatural position the low bars put you in. Hope your next bike is just as thrilling to purchase.

The bike is thrilling and a joy for the first hour but I realize I will never be able to ride her from here in Cleveland down to the Southern roads and back home. Just isn't going to happen. After 2 hours my hands are numd to the point where I cant feel the levers. I have had a few nasty wrist injuries in the past few years and that may be part of my issues....

Gary, that is a sweet bike! Always wanted to get one.

Anyway, I know what you're dealing with... I'm 37 and separated my left shoulder a couple years back. I can barely stand to be on my ZX10R for more than an hour at a time. I will tell you... you don't have to go the cruiser path to find some confort. I also have a Ducati Hypermotard... its just stupid fun and you sit upright so no shoulder or grip issues. Lots of other naked options to pick from... Tuono's, SV's, etc...

Good luck on finding a new ride!

Just thought of one other option you might consider... last spring I sold my '02 Honda VFR800! That is one hell of a bike... and you can easily set it up with higher bar risers to get more upright. That with a 2 inch taller doublebubble screen and upgraded seat, you could pull 3-4 hours stints without even thinking twice. That bike can do almost anything (short of advanced trackdays) and has one sweet motor!

Just thought of one other option you might consider... last spring I sold my '02 Honda VFR800! That is one hell of a bike... and you can easily set it up with higher bar risers to get more upright. That with a 2 inch taller doublebubble screen and upgraded seat, you could pull 3-4 hours stints without even thinking twice. That bike can do almost anything (short of advanced trackdays) and has one sweet motor!

I had a 1996 VFR750 for a while and it was a sweet bike and I would be very satisfied to find another. I think a clean injected VFR would actually be my #1 choice.

If only I could sell my triple fast enough? Wish I had the money, have been drooling over a local one here in berea that is for sale. Triples are coomfy I rode mine for 14 hours to north Ga. a few years back. If I can handle almost 900 miles in a day on it a few hours would be a breeze.

I had a 1996 VFR750 for a while and it was a sweet bike and I would be very satisfied to find another. I think a clean injected VFR would actually be my #1 choice.

NICE! 02's were the first year for the redesign with the VTEC motor... when that kicks in at 7,000 RPM it was pretty abrupt. That's why I never tried to track mine.

I rode a friends 05 model once and the VTEC was a ton smoother on his... I think Honda got the VTEC smoothed out in the 05+ models!

I had a PC3 on my 02 to clean up the fuel injection but kept the stock pipes. Made 101 RWHP with a nice flat torque curve that peaked around 57-58 lbft. Several occasions it indicated 145 and I still had throttle to go!

Loved that bike... I called it my poor man's Desmosedici! :) Sold it to a friend at work... he mostly sport tours with it now... does 500-700 miles a weekend.

Loved that bike... I called it my poor man's Desmosedici! :) Sold it to a friend at work... he mostly sport tours with it now... does 500-700 miles a weekend.

I have had a couple Ducati 900ss 's as well. A 91 and a 93. They were so much fun but as they say hindsight is 20/20. I wish I could recall how the ergo's compare to the RC..........

Say it ain't so!!!

Give her another shot. The first weekend that I had mine, I went to work on Monday feeling like my ass got caught in a blender! I was sore, tight, and generally pissed off (until I pulled into the garage after work and saw her staring at me).

If it's really that uncomfortable (it is for a lot of people), there are a few remedies if you cannot sell:

1. Adjustable rear sets. I don't have them, but they do make a difference

2. Bar risers. I saw an older gentleman in Polaris with them on his '04 like two years ago. Says that he was thinking of trading the bike until he installed the risers. Kinda looks funny, but function trumps form in my book.

At any rate, good luck with your decision.