who else is ready for track days!?

TwiztedRabbit

so we broke out the new to us Race fairings we got for the new season to see if they err fit lol. happy for us.. they do! were ready to rock starting with the OR day @ Gingerman on May16th.. only 4 weeks out!

couple shots of the process... Paul will be painting these after gingerman!

picture.php?albumid=800&pictureid=10072

picture.php?albumid=970&pictureid=10613

picture.php?albumid=970&pictureid=10615

picture.php?albumid=970&pictureid=10616

picture.php?albumid=970&pictureid=10619

picture.php?albumid=970&pictureid=10618

picture.php?albumid=970&pictureid=10620

picture.php?albumid=970&pictureid=10621

picture.php?albumid=970&pictureid=10623

picture.php?albumid=970&pictureid=10624

picture.php?albumid=970&pictureid=10625

picture.php?albumid=970&pictureid=10628

honestly the set for theresa's CBR we picked up a cheapo china brand for 180 shipped.. they are real tight and needed some modification very stable but cheapos... mine on the r-6 are Optimal Racing. and they are NICE... fit great and very solid and lightweight, Superbikestore.com... you can get em for 400ish shipped with fasteners hit me up ill hook you up with my dealer friend

and paul has done a lot of work on both our bikes we know he's the man!

Yeah, the optimal won't hold up so well as I found out. I right hand lowsided and then the bike caught and flipped over onto the left side and drug itself off the track. The left tail is cracked and smashed. The upper wore through and has a lot of gaps and missing chunks in the fiberglass. :( On the positive side the leathers and helmet came out pretty well! :D

Speed was about 50mph I'd guess, came in way to hot and tried to force it through.

Edited by SJC1000rr

I'm stoked about the gingerman track day its my first. I really hope its as fun as I have anticipated. I'm waiting till its a lil closer to prep the bike so I can still ride on it.

you ride the track once and you will be hooked.. i promise you! plus this being your first day it will be a bit more intimate because there will not be as many people there.

and we really only put these on today to check fitting we'll be switching back to street fairings to ride till them tomorrow.

Edited by TwiztedRabbit

true story and eventually we will be getting track only bikes.. but until then, we just cant stay off the track, you'll never ride your bike as hard as you do on the track you can finally use your bike for the reason it was built!

Agree. And my good old '04 CBR will be a great dedicated track bike, once I get to the point that I can either A)Buy a second, newer bike for street use, and turn it into a track whore, as it's called, or B)Have the $$$ in the bank, disposable income-like, to buy a new bike if I manage to tear this one up.

That said, I DO want to try it out, if only to learn to be a better rider.

Congratz! Paul is definitely the man to get it done. What brand did you go with for the CBR? I need to order another set and have him paint it up and was thinking Attack Perf or maybe Armor Bodies. Hopefully, I won't toss the new bike off the track again. :(

i would look seriously into Optimal Racing. they are very good quality (from what i've read on the wera board) and are extremely affordable. I've ordered a set from them and will let you know what i think.

Yeah, the optimal won't hold up so well as I found out. I right hand lowsided and then the bike caught and flipped over onto the left side and drug itself off the track. The left tail is cracked and smashed. The upper wore through and has a lot of gaps and missing chunks in the fiberglass. :( On the positive side the leathers and helmet came out pretty well! :D

Speed was about 50mph I'd guess, came in way to hot and tried to force it through.

we went over this one nate haha thats on my r6 too

That's the thing, Optimal was what was on my bike nate. There are chunks missing from the edge of the upper where it wraps over to the clip-ons and worn through with some parts having a single layer of fiberglass weave showing. The tail is probably salvageable, but got cracked and pushed in pretty well. The bodywork doesn't blowup or anything, but it just breaks and small chunks start coming out of it.

Paul also said its not the easiest stuff to paint either and it does leave the fiberglass weave showing through the clearcoat.

Total damage was Subframe tweaked, upper/tail, left peg+bracket, Left Clip-on. My helmet had 1 inch shaved on the clearcoat from a slide, so I just decided to replace rather then risk it and right boot had the slider ripped off.

Edited by SJC1000rr

I've thought about trying it out. Thought very seriously about it. I just can't stomach the thought of possibly tearing up my bike. At least if I wreck on the street, insurance will cover it. If I wreck it at the track, I'm on my own.

I say go for it!! Youll love every moment of it

my good old '04 CBR will be a great dedicated track bike, once I get to the point that I can either A)Buy a second, newer bike for street use, and turn it into a track whore, as it's called.

honestly, I wouldn't blow cash on a 'newer bike for street use.'

If there's anywhere you need a more capable bike, it's the track, not the street. but that's not to say that a 2004 CBR isn't going to be plenty at the track. I rode a 1993 F2 in Intermediate and definitely didn't feel out of place. I kind of wish I hadn't gotten rid of it, just to see how much faster I could have gotten on 1993 technology.

i got a lot of satisfaction out of passing bikes 15 years newer than mine.

if you get totally addicted to the trackday scene, either look at super cheap street transportation to save yourself money (the route I took), or look for another '03-'06 600RR so you can cannibalize parts when you crash.

it's not that parts are hard to find, but if you crash on Sunday, and have another trackday booked 6 days out, shipping can cut your repair time pretty short. being able to pull parts off your street bike (or just swap track bodywork to your street bike) is a nice option to have.