New River Gorge, WV Ride Sat May 15

fox_racing_guy

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I may be in for this. I ive on the east side of cleveland so who is from cuyahoga county & wants to meet up to ride down?

If I do actually go then we could meet up somewhere near 271 and head down if you want?!

The weather is looking great for Sat so we should have a good ride for sure. I will be traveling for work the rest of the week so I may not be able to post any more this week. I will early at Sheetz Sat probably having breakfast at BK or Denny's across the street so I'll see you all then.

Mark

Weird that nobody from here showed up - looked like a couple of guys were interested - did you get cancellation messages at least? How many bikes were in the final group ? Are you posting photos anywhere else? As you can probably tell, I'm getting my bike buzz vicariously through you right now, and I'm really bummed I couldn't make the ride.

Sorry for not getting back to you guys. I was busy as hell through out the week. I put 32 hours in by the end of Tuesday. I ended up riding yesterday to West Virginia & put about 610 miles on yesterday. Left at 6:30am 2up and arrived home at 11:30pm

Sorry for not getting back to you guys. I was busy as hell through out the week. I put 32 hours in by the end of Tuesday. I ended up riding yesterday to West Virginia & put about 610 miles on yesterday. Left at 6:30am 2up and arrived home at 11:30pm

Did you arrive home 2 up?

I know my rides are not for everybody, I ended up with 5 total including myself. We had 3 ZRX's, 1 ZX10, and a BMW K1200 GT. All the photo's I took are here http://picasaweb.google.com/1foxracing/NewRiverGorgeWV15May2010#

My total mileage was 528 and I got home @ 9:01 PM

Actually.... We like your idea so much, we're talking about stealing your ride for our 4th Anniversary DTC ride in 4 weeks ;)

Why the ferry? No bridges, or just somethin' cool to do? How much was it, & how long did it take?

I'm takin' it this guy wasn't with you then ehh? That thing looks totaled

IMG_1440.jpg

BTW.... So did you guys ride across the bridge? Am I missin' the pix of it?

Are bikes even allowed across it, or are wind gusts too much of a concern at almost 900 feet?

I'm afraid of heights, so I might get vertigo & ride right over the edge :eek:

Edited by Fonzie

Did you arrive home 2 up?

Yeah we made home 2up. She was hurtin for awhile after we got home. My wife is a pain in the ass sometimes but a trooper when she is on the back of the Busa. She made 2 other 1 day trips like that. Last year we went to the gap & rode 10 hours down & 10 hours back the following week. Hell even after a 10 hour trip down & arriving at 12:30am we left the gap at 7am to head to Dilliard Georgia for brunch.

Actually.... We like your idea so much, we're talking about stealing your ride for our 4th Anniversary DTC ride in 4 weeks ;)

Why the ferry? No bridges, or just somethin' cool to do? How much was it, & how long did it take?

I'm takin' it this guy wasn't with you then ehh? That thing looks totaled

IMG_1440.jpg

We take the ferry going into WV just for a little break and it's right where 800 ends at RT7, the ferry boat is $3 to cross the river. On the way back into Ohio we take the bridge from St Marys. The R6 was not with my group. I came around a corner about 40 miles south of the Ohio border and that bike was laying in the middle of the road. I'm thinking man thats weird,, somebody "wadded it" and they hauled him off and left his bike in the middle of the road. We did stop and people started running out of the near by homes and started to attend to the rider who was laying in the ditch. A friend and I dragged the bike and various pieces off the road and I noticed the 30 day tag on the bike. The rider had a helmet on but no other gear. I tried google Sun morning to see if I could find anything about the wreck but came up with zero, he didn't look to good laying in the ditch but I hope the best for the guy.

BTW.... So did you guys ride across the bridge? Am I missin' the pix of it?

Are bikes even allowed across it, or are wind gusts too much of a concern at almost 900 feet?

I'm afraid of heights, so I might get vertigo & ride right over the edge :eek:

Yes we did cross the bridge, it is a interstate highway and I have a SLR camera so it's kinda hard to use on the bike. It is close to 900' high but you really can't tell while riding over it. I think bridge day is the 3rd weekend of Oct every year where they do close it to traffic and you can walk across it and they B.A.S.E. jump from it.

Cool.... Thanx for the info!

So you don't get blown all over ridin' across the bridge then, ehh? Do they do wind alert advisories for it, like they do the Mackinac, for light vehicles & bikes?

Cool.... Thanx for the info!

So you don't get blown all over ridin' across the bridge then, ehh? Do they do wind alert advisories for it, like they do the Mackinac, for light vehicles & bikes?

I've never felt any high winds while riding over that I can ever remember and there are no signs ( except if your thinking about suicide) warning of high winds. Anyone else thinking about the same route I will tell you there are some sketchy sections of WV16 and the last 12 miles of RT800 in Ohio are shitty as well.

If any of you plan a ride down I'll be happy to go along but I'm not leading next time, 528 miles of showing the way this past ride was enough for me.