I wanna get back on the bike so BAD!!!!!

Bkizz

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after trying to find out some info for a conversion I found a forum dedicated to people with limits and want to ride so here is the link http://www.disabledriders.com/forum/

I just glanced at it but I am sure some one can find the info needed to do a conversion here.Or atleast get a good starting point....I am out on the road alot and maybe I can save someone some money with shipping by picking the part up..

I have some fabrication and welding abilities as well, but I think Todd has that covered. I'm pretty good at wiring (as it's part of my job) and would be more than happy to help out with that.

I also think a benefit ride of some sort would be awesome, especially for someone with the strength that Brian has!

Gotta say man, it would be awesome to have you back on 2 inline wheels :) Hocking isn't the same without a second 650r out there :(

*edit*

Also, shoot me a PM or give me a call sometime if you still need help moving the bike. I tried to contact you just before I got back from spring break to get that taken care of but never heard back from ya.

Edited by Harb67

Be lookin' for you at bike night!:)

Trust me, I'll be there on two wheels or not. I have a class on Wednesday nights so I gotta wait till that's over.

Good to hear from you. I know it is not the same, but how about a Can-am Syder with modified controls, as needed?

I've actually done some research on the Can Am...but you are exactly right. It's not the same as being on a bike that leans. It would actually be less ideal than a bike and here's why: Going around a bend/turn on a machine that stays level with the ground (car/can am/side car set up) actually takes more lower body strength to stay planted in the seat. On two wheels, the bike does all the turning/leaning so I really don't need to worry about super-gluing my ass to the seat...just lean and go.

i hear benefit ride or something to raise money so it's easier for him... :D

You have no idea how much I would appreciate this guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Right now I have a couple other projects that are draining my funds really fast. One is I am trying to find an accessible home that I can be fully independent in. Right now I live in a two level and can't do laundry or cook b/c the kitchen is too narrow. I'm also trying to buy a standing frame (device that makes you stand up). It is very beneficial for your bones and muscles as well as being able to reach stuff...but the best part is if there ever is a potential cure that will make me walk again, I have to make sure my body can handle being upright. The cost for one of these? 5-10 THOUSAND! WTF!! It is so f-ing stupid how much handicapped stuff costs and insurance won't cover this. My wheelchair alone costs as much as my 650R. The wheels on it alone were a grand...again it's stupid, just stupid. But I guess they know gimps need this stuff regardless so they can bend us over.

I can weld and fabricate Brian, dont know about all the other goodies that will be needed to make it work but I'll weld for you.

That's cool b/c I know there is some welding involved. I think that guy in the second video produces a kit for the landing gear...I just have to track it down.

after trying to find out some info for a conversion I found a forum dedicated to people with limits and want to ride so here is the link http://www.disabledriders.com/forum/

I just glanced at it but I am sure some one can find the info needed to do a conversion here.Or atleast get a good starting point.

Fucking PIMP! Thanks for finding this link. I'm all over it.

Gotta say man, it would be awesome to have you back on 2 inline wheels :) Hocking isn't the same without a second 650r out there :(.

I know man, I miss riding with you. I may take it easy on the crazy twisties from now on. One things for sure, I will always need someone to ride with. It would be a bad idea to go out alone just in case shit went down and I needed help.

On a side note, thanks for all the replies. One thing I always loved about this site is people stick together.

Edited by Bkizz

I may take it easy on the crazy twisties from now on.

Oh most definitely cuz you don't ever want to go down being strapped to a bike. It gives me chills just thinking about it. Have you considered the extreme dangers of being strapped to a machine like this? I just have noticed that nobody is considering that. Best of luck to whatever you do and goodluck with doing it. ;)

Oh most definitely cuz you don't ever want to go down being strapped to a bike. It gives me chills just thinking about it. Have you considered the extreme dangers of being strapped to a machine like this? I just have noticed that nobody is considering that. Best of luck to whatever you do and goodluck with doing it. ;)

I'm fairly certain he's thought of the danger; however, like the rest of us, he's probably weighed the risks vs. benefits and decided it's worth it.

Of course, I could just be putting words in someone else's mouth. :p

OMG I HAVE A PERMANENT GRIN ON MY FACE RIGHT NOW!

I just got off the phone with Lee, the guy in the second video who designs these kits. He was actually the one who made the kit for the guy in the first video. He is cool as hell! He told me he makes these kits on the side just so others can get back on their bikes. He said once you get used to it, it feels just like you are fully able-bodied again. He said it was the greatest thing he has done since he was paralyzed. He has had this kit on his bike for 5 years and has put 25k miles on the gixxer 1000.

I am totally fucking excited I can barely stand it! I was back in the garage staring at my bike again a little bit ago. The best part is this is DO-ABLE. He said he has two kits available right now...one is going to a guy in Africa. The landing gear kit is $1,800 and does not include the shifter actuator. He said he can get me the shifter for $600. He will also walk me through the install process and the ins and outs of starting out so I don't fall over. There should not be be any welding envolved.

If you wanna donate to the cause, let me know! You can send donations to:

Brian Kinney Foundation

PO BOX 648

Dublin OH 43017

Did I mention I am TOTALLY FUCKING EXCITED?!

This is amazing!! I really hope you get everything up and running. I would more than happy to haul your chair if you wanted to make it out to a bike night once you get the bike ridable ( I see it as a matter of when not if).

That is an AWESOME idea. That's the only catch...I can't really go anywhere and get off the bike unless I have someone else to get my chair where I plan to go. Your a pimp, thanks!

I was having fun on the oplates site. All these are available. I am taking votes on what my new plate should say.

imageplate.gif

imageplate2.gif

Not sure if this would fly but it is funny as hell :D

imageplate3.gif

cat walk is what i thought too... So i had a random idea. Have you thought of a sidecar at all? You could put your chair in it. that way, you could still ride your bike anywhere you wanted to go and not had to worry about having to get off? You could have attack painter paint up the side car real badass, and paint the 650 to match!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c9/R68-sidecar.jpg

cat walk is what i thought too... So i had a random idea. Have you thought of a sidecar at all? You could put your chair in it. that way, you could still ride your bike anywhere you wanted to go and not had to worry about having to get off? You could have attack painter paint up the side car real badass, and paint the 650 to match!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c9/R68-sidecar.jpg

Nah, not interested in the sidecar. Any chance I can get away from the wheelchair, I will take it.

Nah, not interested in the sidecar. Any chance I can get away from the wheelchair, I will take it.

That aside, I gotta believe that this mod would be ALOT cheaper than a sidecar and the mods that go along with it.