Dilema Of Bikes....RC51 and 636

BennettR32

So the opportunity has presented itself to trade my 2005 636 away for a garage find that my dad picked up. He managed to get a 2004 Honda RC 51 with 6500 miles and it has been sitting since 2006 due to the previous owner hurting his back.

SO here is where my problem is I can either keep my bike or go with the RC 51. Now I haven't made up my mind but I would like to see some other opinions other than myself.

2005 636

Pros:

-New Paint looks damn good

-Set up already for me to ride this year

-Strung the hell out when I get into thanks to the I-4

Cons:

-It has been laid down

-Needs new battery

-Semi bulky for a 600

2004 RC51

Pros:

-Low miles and even up trade

-Lots of low end torque

-Really enjoy the steering and how quick the turn in is

-Nicky Hayden edition, and it is bone stock

-Never been down or really anything its pretty damn mint other than the bug stains on the windscreen

Cons:

-Flat spots in tire so have to replace tires, which are brand new with the nipples still on the side

-I personally don't find the body lines/ color combo as appealing as the 636

-It dosent have under tail exhaust which I like the look of.

-Not as much of a balls to wall kind of bike like the 636 when you get it up in the RPM's

Now mind you these are my personal opinions so anyone can add to them also, but in the end I am really just torn because they are damn near even in my book. I know they are like comparing apples to oranges but if anyone has any advice I would be glad to hear it.

All your cons are bogus for the RC. the tires take minutes to change at Iron Pony, just a couple hundred bucks, you can repaint the bike, or just disregard cause you cant see the paint while you're on it anyways, undertail exhaust...is that even a reason to skip on a bike?, and the RC is balls to the wall over more of the RPMs, not just the screechy ones.

Coming from an RC owner,

A)Nice pic in front of the Mansfield Reformatory. Im from Mansfield/Madison(parents live there).

B)The RC is a totally different kind of ride. Ruff, and grumble BUT amazing and pretty much historical.

C)If you are planning on anything like a comfortable ride, stay with the 636, but if you want a torque monster get the RC.

D)As stated tires no issues, cheap and easy fix.

E)Balls to the wall? The RC is one of the most balls to the wall bikes ever made. Ducati killer back in the day. Honda designed them specifically for that reason. Not high in the RPMS but right off the line and through the gears.\

636 is a solid bike no doubt, but the RC is a legend. One of the reasons I bought mine.

Good luck either way, I ll have to hit you up sometime when Im in town.

the only reason I would go with the 636 over the RC51 is comfort otherwise RC51 wins hands down. I love them, I want one but no way I could handle it being my only bike due to the ergo's

Have you really ridden the RC?

I mean really ridden it? The heavy engine braking into a corner, holding at 9-10k rpm through the corner then unleashing the twin coming out of the corner. If you had then this thread wouldn't have been started. It's not a straight line bike.

Oh and the comfort thing is true.

Coming from an RC owner,

B)The RC is a totally different kind of ride. Ruff, and grumble BUT amazing and pretty much historical.

C)If you are planning on anything like a comfortable ride, stay with the 636, but if you want a torque monster get the RC.

D)As stated tires no issues, cheap and easy fix.

E)Balls to the wall? The RC is one of the most balls to the wall bikes ever made. Ducati killer back in the day. Honda designed them specifically for that reason. Not high in the RPMS but right off the line and through the gears.\

636 is a solid bike no doubt, but the RC is a legend. One of the reasons I bought mine.

I’ll chime in here, owning 3 RCs (street/play) and 1 600RR (track) myself.

As for (B & C), the RC is a different ride. I wouldn’t say it’s rough; the ergonomics of the bike are set from the factory as more for the track than others. You must set up the suspension and if you plan on riding distances then I would invest in a Sergeant Seat. I have this seat and have had the Corbin also. I say had, because I sold it due to the Sergeant being a hell of lot more comfortable on rides period.

I myself I have ridden an RC from Huntsville AL to back here in Bellbrook in one day. It was about 8 ½ hours. Even when I got back here, I still took the bike out to the twisties for a little fun. How was I able to do this without hurting at all….it had a SERGEANT SEAT on it. I’m sold on their seats period after that experience. They do cost more than Corbin but are worth every penny.

Like I’ve stated, you would need to set up your suspension, change the seat and change the rear tire over to a 190/55. This will make your riding experience on the bike a hell of lot more enjoyable.

Another fix to the higher gearing the bike has stock is changing the 16/40 to a 15/42. It will become a different bike after that. I have 2 of mine set up this way and KRUELHOUSE here on the board just did this to his. So ask him what he thinks.

You can also ask him about suspension. We used to ride together all the time when he was here in Dayton. He rode his, then rode mine after I tweaked the suspension to a PERFECT RAILING set up for me. Ask him how the ride was on mine.

The RC is a great street bike. It’s predictable and will get you out of troublesome situations with ease. As far as railing the curves. I go down with the Junkies and I’m only in 2nd or 3rd through the roads. All you have to do is roll off the throttle and roll back on. The bike does not fall when rolling off, like a lot of others do. When others are off the gas in a turn, you can crank it on and run them down.

If you have the chance to grab on 04 in great condition, DO IT.

These are becoming harder to find in great condition. It’s also the only year for the anodized frame/swingarm.

There are a couple of easy mods that can be done to help bring this animal alive also.

Why not have both? :)

:D I like this young lady. If there's a way you can have both do it.

Don't be :halloweentortghost: , just think of it as an early :holiday4: for yourself.

If it would make you :broke: then go with the RC, as I4s are easier to find.

Iono man I love my 05 636. its a beast to ride esp after i changed the gearing and added a full exhaust...its not even mapped yet.

But my next bike with be an italian V4.

Did you happen to list the prices on both? I just skimmed the thread. Just make sure you test ride the 636. Our 05-06s are infamous for tranny issues with 2nd gear popping into neutral.

I love my 636 right now and wouldnt trade it for the world.

RC End of Discussion!

Seriously, as NukCrash mentioned, suspension work, and the gearing change will make it a completely different bike!

Also, it is one of the easiest bikes to have fun on. As previously mentioned, in the twisties you're on the gas earlier, and due to engine compression, you're hardly using the brakes or downshifting.

It is a torture rack, but your body will adjust after the first weekend. This harshness can be attributed to the ergonomics (high pegs, low clip-ons, wide tank), suspension and chassis stiffness (which is why it handles so well), and the hard flat seat (which feels like a slab of leather-wrapped granite).

That said: Get the RC, and put some new rubber on it. Get used to the ride, and then change the gearing. Oh... If you get the '04 and decide that you don't like the look, rather than paint the original panels/tank... Get some rashed stuff on ebay and paint that. The Hayden scheme is pretty damned sweet, and if it's already mint, you'll want to keep it that way!

In closing... There are lots of bikes out there that I want to own, but I don't have any of them because I'm not willing to get rid of my RC, and I have a few more priorities that I must handle before I begin to acquire multiple bikes.

*So much for End of Discussion*

Well I went and rode it today for the second time and I have to say I am alot more impressed now that I have actually had a chance to run it to its potential.

In the twisty's it is still more nimble than my 636 and it really impressed me how hard I can push the bike.

I am leaving for texas for a week so I will probably make my decision in a week or so.

I am also trying to talk my dad into keeping it just for himself so that way I can still have both bikes

KruelHouse can you please post a pic of your undertail? Thats about the only thing that has to go is that big ass thing hanging off the back.

Sato high mounts are sick looking on the RC. Plus they just came out with the rear seat peg relocators for them so the whole reason I didn't get them last year, is now null and void. Ugh.

Anyways, as stated about regearing it makes a difference, heck I might be the only one who hasn't yet.... lol My last bike 996 had regeared -1+2 and it was amazing. Most likely what I will be looking to do with this, or at least something. But the teethe and sprockets along with chain are in too good of shape ot drop coin on that right now after getting brakes and tires this season.

And PS the RC is sick looking, especially like Kruells.