K/N Air Filter Question

Zorro

It's a waste even when modified. OEM will flow more air than that small of a motor is even capable of using. And lots of dyno tests have even shown lost HP from switching to high flow filters, something to do with too much turbulence in the air box and TB's

It's a waste even when modified. OEM will flow more air than that small of a motor is even capable of using. And lots of dyno tests have even shown lost HP from switching to high flow filters, something to do with too much turbulence in the air box and TB's

thank you.

although from the $$$ perspective, since the K&N is guaranteed for a million miles or something, it may be cheaper in the long run when compared to cost to replace stock with stock.

I agree. It's a waste of money. The OE air filter will flow more than enough air and is designed for certain airflow characteristics. You may actually lose power with one of the high-performance filters. It's very hard to beat all the engineering that when into the stock air box and filter.

What about a pleated paper filter versus a foam filter. My Virago has a foam filter righ now. I have no idea how old it is, all I do know is that it needs to be cleaned and or replaced. I went to the Pony today and bought a pleated paper filter to replace it with. Will this change the performance any?

I'm a big believer in K&N filters. I have had one in every car or truck i have ever owned. With no issues from any of them. I have also noticed performance increases and better MPG's in all but one, my 2002 jeep 4.0L. I just last week put one on my 06 mustang and 03 powerstroke. This winter i installed on on my VFR and my grizzly.

What about a pleated paper filter versus a foam filter. My Virago has a foam filter righ now. I have no idea how old it is, all I do know is that it needs to be cleaned and or replaced. I went to the Pony today and bought a pleated paper filter to replace it with. Will this change the performance any?

On a bone stock bike you would not notice the difference between the two. Going by the research the foam will out flow a paper while having simular filtering abilities. the foam ones should have to be oiled though, if it wasn't oiled it will just suck dirt. The oil is sticky to stop the dirt. If you just want a regular air filter i'd opt for the paper just because they are less messy.

I have a hard time with all this. I use K&N on everything also. I just dont understand how a better flowing filter can hurt. But like it was mentioned i never keep the bike long so i never worry about filter changes or cleaning either. EVERY race bike i have bought had a K&N or another aftermarket filter. Who knows unless you dyno it in the exact same day at the same temps and blah blah lol. If nothing else the K&N is cool looking(not that u can see it).

I find this hard to believe since the mass flow rates are at such a low speed. Not saying its not plausible...just hard to believe initially.

Theres tons of engineers on this board...someone can prolly draw up a quick CAD in NASTRAN and run some CFD in no time.

I'm a big believer in K&N filters. I have had one in every car or truck i have ever owned. With no issues from any of them. I have also noticed performance increases and better MPG's in all but one, my 2002 jeep 4.0L. I just last week put one on my 06 mustang and 03 powerstroke. This winter i installed on on my VFR and my grizzly.

In a car yes, sportbike no.

I find this hard to believe since the mass flow rates are at such a low speed. Not saying its not plausible...just hard to believe initially.

Theres tons of engineers on this board...someone can prolly draw up a quick CAD in NASTRAN and run some CFD in no time.

Do a google search those have been done and the info is out there.