Newb track rider question

idodishez

Just remember that 90% of riding is in ur head. If the bike problems are there and u KNOW it you will be all kinds of nervous and will lose focus.

EXACTLY. Even when it was fixed in between downtimes, I was still nervous.

How does a chain skip? front or rear sprocket has to be bad or the chain is MEGA loose

Chain was mega loose, and mega stretched. Replaced the chain, but not the sprockets.

that's exactly what I'm talking about.

the stopwatch method isn't off by 4-5 seconds. (when I'm using it) a few tenths of a second ok I agree. I'm usually doing this in secrecy, because I honestly have a hard time believing some of the guys on this board and assfault junkies when they can barely even put a knee to the ground but magically run 1:18's etc.

and when you ask them to prove it, I like the oh I erased that lap by accident or I erased the whole session by accident.

and any video they ever make (that they rave about) magically never shows a full out lap. it's always edited after a few corners etc. so you can never time them by their videos.

as for my other comment about the street pace, I've never been to a stt even. so I can only speak about curve chasers, cycle options and one nesba or desmo combined with stt or somethig along those lines. I just can't remember. and it never fails. guys that should be in beginner are all in intermediate and running what I consider a quick street pace.

what I consider street pace is when you are following guys through turn 10 at 70mph, turn 1 at 80, 2 at 65, 5 at 65, 7 at 45 mph, that's street pace for those corners at putnam.

and it never fails, there will be what seems like 13 of the 20 or so riders in intermediate that should be in beginner.

brian I think I've seen you say it before, if you can't at least run under 1:19 you shouldn't be in advanced.

and what 1:23-1:19 for intermediate?

as long as we have the truth system in signing up for a track day group, we'll always have guys signing up to the wrong group because they don't want to feel like a chump to their buddies. never mind they will still be slow, but now they'll be holding everyone else up with them.

I'll be honest, a barely into the 1:18 is all I could probably ever muster up. I comfortably pace putnam in the 1:23 and 1:22 range most of the time. I get pooped out in only 5 or so laps and that's where I end up staying. I never stated I'm a fast rider.

running in advanced at times gets a little to wild for me. but I just hate trying to pass so many guys that should be in beginner that are always in intermediate. in the few years I've been running at the track, I think I've only had one or two laps where I could go all out without being slowed by another rider. that includes in advanced.

I try not to be "that guy" in advanced. when I think I'm holding guys up, I move over and take a look and most of the time no one is around me.

so in pretty much all the track riding I've done, I don't think I've ever been the guy holding up any amount of riders.

Dude, it takes a strong man to be honest. I can appreciate that and appreciate what you are saying after clarifying a bit more.

Trust me, I have heard MORE than enough fish stories. All I do is worry about what I am doing and don't care what others do. I don't run a camera on my bike, post my lap times, etc. Reason being is two fold. One, I don't need attention. Two, I know there are a zillion people faster than me.

I was privileged to race at Putnam when WERA was there up until 2003. That was some amazing years at that facility. I got to witness first hand a friend set the motorcycle lap record (which to this day has never been even REMOTELY touched) and understand what fast really is around that place.

I've witnessed guys that haven't been on a bike and with inferior equipment run times that nobody really can sustain for any length of time.

Yet... You will ALWAYS have people state times, say this or that and even post vids. The funny part is that I will break vids down and see that at any time, they never get out of 18s, etc...

Just realize that you need to challenge YOU. Who gives two shits about a YouTube vid and what the things the rider is doing. The funny part is that most of the time, a majority of vids I ever see are showing the mistakes the rider filming is doing and see that the rider will probably never get faster as long as they keep making the mistakes they have forever left in cyberspace...

But, it all looks cool to the buds that worship you, right? The lap times are always great topics of conversations at the local Rallys. And, you'll always be the cool kid if you don't have chicken strips on your ride.

Serp, you and I have had a lot of verbals with one another, but I think you are a stand up guy. Keep riding and hopefully, we cross paths and can have some fun at the track.