Newb track rider question

idodishez

Ive had a ('91) ZX7 for almost 10 years. I bought it as a salvage, and rebuilt it. Never did feel totally safe on it, as there was always something wrong w it. Antifreeze leaks (THAT'LL make you fill your shorts on a turn), slipping chains (yes, I said slipping), crappy carbs, head shake, and the list goes on. So I never really felt safe even remotely "pushing" it. I finally got a newer ('06) ZX10 this year. Finally feel safe riding now.

Now, I plan on going to either Putnam or Mid Ohio this year. Ive been to Putnam, but only as an observer, while a friend rode my ZX7. (I Didnt have leathers or the funds) Problem Im facing..... Do i take the ZX7 and not feel safe (and do as much as I can before I go to make it as safe as possible until the next "issue") or do I take the ZX10 and feel totally safe? If the ZX7 goes down, its not a huge deal. Its an older bike and I wont be heartbroken if it goes down. The ZX10 is near flawless, and I would HATE for it to go down.

How routine is it for riders to go down on the track, esp as newbies? My friend went down at Putnam when riding my ZX7, so Im inclined to think its not that uncommon. (Only broke the clutch lever)

Thoughts?

Tks

So what you're saying is theres a good likelihood I'll go down?;)

I didn't go down, but I knew that I may. Nothing is 100%. I'm just saying if you have 2 sportbikes, then take the older one that you can afford damage on more and have fun. Most likely you won't go down, but if it DID happen, it would be your ZX7 instead.;)

i wouldnt take anything unsafe to a place where your going to be at high rates of speed and you depend on your machine.

that being said.. dont push your limits and youll be fine..

dont think you have to go fast cause other people are, go your own pace, and youll do just fine.

come out to putnam on june 12/13

You are in a tough place. I agree that ANYTHING unsafe will not be a good idea to ride. In fact, if it leaks coolant and is noticed, you're not going to get to ride anyways... Plus, if it leaks, it's an easy fix - fix it.

As for the ZX10, well... It's a handful and certainly not a newbie bike. However, we've seen riders that push aside ego and arrogance and be totally fine on liter bikes. Take it slow, understand the environment around you and check the ego at the gate.

You'll be fine... Novice group is a group that shouldn't provide issues to the degree that crashes are likely. That being said, I've seen guys split frames at Novice pace...

if novice was too slow for you why are you still running in Intermediate class since you're so fast? ;)

I don't I run in advanced. 75% of the guys in intermediate are doing street pace for the most part.

now, I can't hang with 30% of the guys in advanced but I'm also not holding anyone up for the most part.

I can muster up 1:18's at putnam on a good day. and I'm talking about real 1:18's not quesses like a lot of guys I see posting about their times there. when I sit and time them with a stopwatch they only did 1:24's etc.

Edited by serpentracer

to the OP:

If the ZX7 gets head-shake and leaks coolant, as a fellow track rider, I wouldn't want it anywhere near me, or the track on which i'm riding. Your personal safety is one issue. I'd encourage you to make smart choices there, but leaking fluids on the track or riding a bike that you aren't sure is safe (sounds like you might have tweaked forks) is unsafe for those around you as well.

If that's what it comes down to, ride the ZX10, or drop some cash and make sure the ZX7 is in proper working order.

And yeah, crashing is always a possibility, but I wouldn't call it "common." On a bad day at the track, you'll see 10 crashes. Consider that you've probably got 100+ people riding, and you're looking at a 90% chance that you WON'T crash.

Ultimately, you control your pace. Ride within your limits, and your odds of crashing drop drastically.

who are you riding with? Not all intermediate groups are created equal.

the question should be who are you riding on the street with.

And yeah, crashing is always a possibility, but I wouldn't call it "common." On a bad day at the track, you'll see 10 crashes. Consider that you've probably got 100+ people riding, and you're looking at a 90% chance that you WON'T crash.

Ultimately, you control your pace. Ride within your limits, and your odds of crashing drop drastically.

yep. and i would say the vast majority of crashes at the track happen from rider error, not like on the street where other things cause one. so its a helleva lot more up to you.

Edited by ped

who are you riding with? Not all intermediate groups are created equal.

I'll second that. 75% at a "street pace"? Seriously?

Anyways, people have different perceptions of what speed is and what fast is. One person's 70% of their ability may be 98% of someone else's ability...

As for lap timing people via a stop watch, there are very few people that do it right... Before lap timers, it is the only way people ever got times. Most the time, people are timing from the stands and it is so inconsistant and so off, that they are never even close to right.

We've heard guys say they had their buddies time them at 1:16 at Putnam. Once you get out there and you actually see their lap timers, they show 1:20... Funny how that works. It's all a big ol' fish story.

You ever ask me how fast I do someplace, I always say "Aw, I don't know..." What's it matter anyways?

I'll second that. 75% at a "street pace"? Seriously?

Anyways, people have different perceptions of what speed is and what fast is. One person's 70% of their ability may be 98% of someone else's ability...

As for lap timing people via a stop watch, there are very few people that do it right... Before lap timers, it is the only way people ever got times. Most the time, people are timing from the stands and it is so inconsistant and so off, that they are never even close to right.

We've heard guys say they had their buddies time them at 1:16 at Putnam. Once you get out there and you actually see their lap timers, they show 1:20... Funny how that works. It's all a big ol' fish story.

?

that's exactly what I'm talking about.

the stopwatch method isn't off by 4-5 seconds. (when I'm using it) a few tenths of a second ok I agree. I'm usually doing this in secrecy, because I honestly have a hard time believing some of the guys on this board and assfault junkies when they can barely even put a knee to the ground but magically run 1:18's etc.

and when you ask them to prove it, I like the oh I erased that lap by accident or I erased the whole session by accident.

and any video they ever make (that they rave about) magically never shows a full out lap. it's always edited after a few corners etc. so you can never time them by their videos.

as for my other comment about the street pace, I've never been to a stt even. so I can only speak about curve chasers, cycle options and one nesba or desmo combined with stt or somethig along those lines. I just can't remember. and it never fails. guys that should be in beginner are all in intermediate and running what I consider a quick street pace.

what I consider street pace is when you are following guys through turn 10 at 70mph, turn 1 at 80, 2 at 65, 5 at 65, 7 at 45 mph, that's street pace for those corners at putnam.

and it never fails, there will be what seems like 13 of the 20 or so riders in intermediate that should be in beginner.

brian I think I've seen you say it before, if you can't at least run under 1:19 you shouldn't be in advanced.

and what 1:23-1:19 for intermediate?

as long as we have the truth system in signing up for a track day group, we'll always have guys signing up to the wrong group because they don't want to feel like a chump to their buddies. never mind they will still be slow, but now they'll be holding everyone else up with them.

I'll be honest, a barely into the 1:18 is all I could probably ever muster up. I confortably pace putnam in the 1:23 and 1:22 range most of the time. I get pooped out in only 5 or so laps and that's where I end up staying. I never stated I'm a fast rider.

running in advanced at times gets a little to wild for me. but I just hate trying to pass so many guys that should be in beginner that are always in intermediate. in the few years I've been running at the track, I think I've only had one or two laps where I could go all out without being slowed by another rider. that includes in advanced.

I try not to be "that guy" in advanced. when I think I'm holding guys up, I move over and take a look and most of the time no one is around me.

so in pretty much all the track riding I've done, I don't think I've ever been the guy holding up any amount of riders.

Edited by serpentracer

to the OP:

If the ZX7 gets head-shake and leaks coolant, as a fellow track rider, I wouldn't want it anywhere near me, or the track on which i'm riding. Your personal safety is one issue. I'd encourage you to make smart choices there, but leaking fluids on the track or riding a bike that you aren't sure is safe (sounds like you might have tweaked forks) is unsafe for those around you as well.

To clarify, the issues I mentioned have been over the years, not all current. Head shake was fixed after a new front tire. (Either that or I havent gone fast enough for it to happen again) Coolant leaks have been fixed. The slipping chain was replaced last year, though it has already stretched to the point of slipping again. Not sure WTF that's all about. Adjusted the chain for now. The most recent issue: I need to rebuild the carbs again. Gasoline pours out of the crankcase when trying to start, so I'm assuming there's gum buildup in the needle seat. Not sure if I can get that done by June, so I may be on the ZX10 anyway, taking it easy.

A lot of my uncomfortableness may be in my head. I just have never felt totally safe on the bike. Having the rear tire slip on a turn because antifreeze was leaking on it makes you kind of paranoid in general:D

Now on the ZX10, the only thing that makes me nervous riding that is keeping the front tire from shooting for the moon:eek:

To clarify, the issues I mentioned have been over the years, not all current. Head shake was fixed after a new front tire. (Either that or I havent gone fast enough for it to happen again) Coolant leaks have been fixed. The slipping chain was replaced last year, though it has already stretched to the point of slipping again. Not sure WTF that's all about. Adjusted the chain for now. The most recent issue: I need to rebuild the carbs again. Gasoline pours out of the crankcase when trying to start, so I'm assuming there's gum buildup in the needle seat. Not sure if I can get that done by June, so I may be on the ZX10 anyway, taking it easy.

A lot of my uncomfortableness may be in my head. I just have never felt totally safe on the bike. Having the rear tire slip on a turn because antifreeze was leaking on it makes you kind of paranoid in general:D

Now on the ZX10, the only thing that makes me nervous riding that is keeping the front tire from shooting for the moon:eek:

Just remember that 90% of riding is in ur head. If the bike problems are there and u KNOW it you will be all kinds of nervous and will lose focus. I would say FIX all the problems with the 7 and ride it. The 10 will be ALLOT of bike to attempt to go fast on and if u throw it down then u will have 2 broken bikes. Deff hit the track with the 7 till u learn how to track ride. How does a chain skip? front or rear sprocket has to be bad or the chain is MEGA loose?

BTW i run a 15.2 at putnam as my best. I had sweet baby jesus time me.