Why do I have this feeling...

|SnOmAn|

...that I want a cruiser? I love my sportbike, and I want to keep it, but I have been thinking and thinking about trading mine in for a cruiser! I almost bought one when I bought my bike, but I love the look, the sound, the turning and the power of my bike. I have always wanted a sportbike too. For the last 10 years I've wanted one and now that I have one I feel blah about it.

When I was on the last group ride I kept thinking in my head, "I don't ride the sportbike like I could and I should, I may be better off with just a cruiser." If I had the money I would just have both, but that's not happening. I keep tellin myself that I have never really ridden a cruiser so I may hate it. It just seems like a more comfortable ride. But do I want comfort, or the speed and turning, and that feeling of power? I am lost right now and I hate the feeling...

Cruisers don't handle like a sport bike, obviously. I scraped my floorboard today on a very mild curve. I'm right there with you on the dilemma. I didn't get anywhere near the limits with my sportbike, but I didn't need to. I still loved everything about it. Cruisers are slow at everything. They accelerate slowly, they shift slowly, they stop slowly.. but there's a whole lot to be said for riding long distances and still being able to walk with no major aches. I'd like another sportbike, but only for quick runs, and fun. Long weekends like this, and a cruiser can't be beat.

Cruisers don't handle like a sport bike, obviously. I scraped my floorboard today on a very mild curve. I'm right there with you on the dilemma. I didn't get anywhere near the limits with my sportbike, but I didn't need to. I still loved everything about it. Cruisers are slow at everything. They accelerate slowly, they shift slowly, they stop slowly.. but there's a whole lot to be said for riding long distances and still being able to walk with no major aches. I'd like another sportbike, but only for quick runs, and fun. Long weekends like this, and a cruiser can't be beat.

they dont all accelerate slowly

new vmax is capable of running 9s with a tune and exhaust...10s off the showroom floor....i wouldnt call that slow

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-videos/2009-yamaha-vmax-slays-quarter-mile-in-9513-secs/6912.html

Edited by Steve Butters

Fixed.

you can get one with less than a thousand miles on it for 15...the OP never specified a price range

even the 1G vmax is a high 10/ low 11 bike bone stock, and you can find them for 3k....i was just saying that not all cruisers are slow...rocket iii, vmax, vrod, mean streak, m109r, etc etc

you can get one with less than a thousand miles on it for 15...the OP never specified a price range

even the 1G vmax is a high 10/ low 11 bike bone stock, and you can find them for 3k....i was just saying that not all cruisers are slow...rocket iii, vmax, vrod, mean streak, m109r, etc etc

I agree. I'm just saying that stacking a $20k bike up to prove a point doesn't help. For most, that's a little high of a price to pay for a fast cruiser. Especially when the same power can be had for $4k or $5k with most Jap bikes.

I agree. I'm just saying that stacking a $20k bike up to prove a point doesn't help. For most, that's a little high of a price to pay for a fast cruiser. Especially when the same power can be had for $4k or $5k with most Jap bikes.

thats why i added the list of others....you can get a 1g vmax for less than 5k, nurkvinny is selling his mean streak for 4 something i think in the bike shop, im not sure what the m109rs go for (edit..one on ebay for 7500 with 3k miles), theres affordable cruisers that arent slow.

they dont handle like a sport bike for sure, but with a proper rider theyre not bad...he already said he doesnt ride his sport bike to its potential anyways, so im assuming hes a moderate rider not a balls out knee dragger.... i was told the last CSBA ride there was a goldwing with a passenger, keeping up with the front group.... ive never ridden a sport bike to compare brakes, but i do agree that cruisers could use better brakes...my bike is a tank to stop, but they make an r1 comversion kit for it

for someone who is just a moderate rider, there are affordable, decent handling cruisers available....youre not gonna be dragging knee and passing supermotos on one though

Edited by Steve Butters

Meanstreaks have the same brakes the Ninja does. It stops fairly quickly. It also had the the best cornering of the power cruisers. Now if you do what I did to my Meanie, then the cornering isn't as great. Lowering the bike doesn't help cornering, but it does help putting scuffs on the exhaust and pegs. I love my Meanie, it has good power, great braking, and is fun to ride.

The Warrior is a great bike too, I just didn't like the bars they seemed to lean me forward too much. (I'm 6'3", may have had something to do with it.) I never took a test ride on one but have sat on a few in the stealership.

The Raider is a sweet bike too, it was my second choice when I bought the Meanie. The handling is pretty good, brakes were decent, it has 1900cc engine, with plenty of power. I took a test ride on one at ASK powersports. They were out of the price range I wanted to pay or it would have been a tough choice.

The M109R is a beast. The seat and tank are really wide. I would suggest sitting on one. After I sat on one, they were not for me. cool looking bikes though. They eat rear tires, and have dual air cleaners. If you decide to replace the air cleaner, with a tornado, or BAC they are pricey.

The VTX is also a nice bike, Honda reliability, plenty of power if you go with the 1800, and tons of aftermarket parts. Again I didn't like the bars. A friend of mine has one and replaced the bars, completely different bike.

So to recap, Meanstreaks are great, but will need at least an air cleaner and a PC3 to get what you'll want out of it. (The air flow is very restricted going through the crossover tube.) But are fun to ride. I expect Kawi to release a new version in the next year or two. The Warrior is great right out of the gate, but I would need to replace the bars to be comfortable. The Raider was awesome, my second bike choice. The M109r is cool looking and very wide but eats rear tires. The VTX is another great choice, but again I didn't like the bars.

If your really interested in a cruiser, shop around, narrow it down to the ones you like and let the test riding begin.

Edited by Meanie

...that I want a cruiser? I love my sportbike, and I want to keep it, but I have been thinking and thinking about trading mine in for a cruiser!

Don't trade it in. Buy a cruiser in addition to the sportbike!

I see a cruiser in my future someday, but I'm pretty sure I'd keep the sportbike too!

Sorry I didn't chime back in earlier, I was buying a new toy. No, not a bike... Thanks for the help guys. I do want to keep the sportbike if I could afford to but if I were to get a cruiser I would trade my bike in. More than likely I won't be gettng one, but that thought has been buggin me lately and I needed to get it off my mind. And as for $15g's that ain't happenin... Lol. I sat on the Warrior and the VMax and didn't like them at all, so no, plus too much...

As for the new toy, just bought a new gun. It's my first but I have shot them before so no worries...lol. I'll post a pic when I'm on the computer and not my phone. It's a Hi-Point 9mm C9....

...that I want a cruiser? I love my sportbike, and I want to keep it, but I have been thinking and thinking about trading mine in for a cruiser! I almost bought one when I bought my bike, but I love the look, the sound, the turning and the power of my bike. I have always wanted a sportbike too.....

When I was on the last group ride I kept thinking in my head, "I don't ride the sportbike like I could and I should, I may be better off with just a cruiser." If I had the money I would just have both, but that's not happening. I keep tellin myself that I have never really ridden a cruiser so I may hate it. It just seems like a more comfortable ride. But do I want comfort, or the speed and turning, and that feeling of power? I am lost right now and I hate the feeling...

Some of the same things I've been thinkin' lately. I love 'Birdy & confirmed that last week to cBus & back.... But I keep gettin' this inexplicable itch for a cruiser to bop around on. Definitely think I need one of each ;)

It's a Hi-Point 9mm C9....

wall.gif

Buy an upright naked sportbike. Problem solved.

+1 Gen1 FZ1's can be had for cheap. Gen2 (06 up) start about 5k. Comfortable enough for all day riding and they turn, stop and fly.

What is the price range?