questions about a ticket

04DayTri

Last night i was pulled over for having a passenger on my bike and only having a permit. BUT i had recently just taken the test and passed and had the paper work to prove it but havent had the money to go to the BMV and pay the $25 or what ever it is due to bills and rent. The cop suggested trying to fight it but insisted he had to still write me a ticket. Just wondering what peoples opinions are on trying get it dismissed and waht my chances might be?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did you show the officer the papers you have...?

i would go to court and show the judge?

call the clerk of courts and ask them if you show the papers will it get dismissed...it should be...just like if you ride without your drivers licenses...

i would call first...hopefully they don't suspend your permit because of the ticket.

good luck.

terry

Judging from your description of the interaction, I would Try the steps stated above. If you still don't get anywhere, go to court and see if the cop will actually vouch for you. He might since he showed some hesitation writing the ticket.

+1^

Don't assume this is a slam-dunk. If the law states that the endorsement is required, simply qualifying for it doesn't cut it. This one is totally up to the court so be nice and give them a reason to toss it out

Don't have the $25 to be legal? Where did you get the $$ for gas? I have no sympathy. I went a couple days after I passed the BRC to see if it was in the system yet, and it wasn't. I went the next day to get the title done and plates for the second bike, and it checked again, and it was there. I made it a priority, even though I was legal anyway.

That's BS we were told at the end of the course by the instructors that with the card you were legal to ride passengers, freeway and after dark it was the same as the endorsement I'd go to court and fight it

That's funny, we were told the exact opposite!

I DO think there would be a pretty good chance of winning if you fight it, as long as you are very polite, and don't go in there acting like they owe it to you.

GLWS

That's funny, we were told the exact opposite!

I DO think there would be a pretty good chance of winning if you fight it, as long as you are very polite, and don't go in there acting like they owe it to you.

GLWS

Well maybe they were wrong.... I don't know but several people specifically asked because it was labor day weekend and they said the card was the endorsement

Well maybe they were wrong.... I don't know but several people specifically asked because it was labor day weekend and they said the card was the endorsement

The several people you asked are incorrect. A license is a license. A piece of paper saying you passed the test is a piece of paper that says you passed the test.

It was not random people it was the instructors that said it and one of them had been teaching the classes for well over 10 years I would hope they would know and not give out incorrect info my wife knows the program coordinator I'll have to ask him and find out if they were giving out incorrect info

I got my license right away but on the back of the card mine stated "this is not an endorsement" and our instructor also warned us to get the real license asap as some authorities will not accept just that card. Pretty much depends who and where you are dealing with I suppose

Last night i was pulled over for having a passenger on my bike and only having a permit. BUT i had recently just taken the test and passed and had the paper work to prove it but havent had the money to go to the BMV and pay the $25 or what ever it is due to bills and rent. The cop suggested trying to fight it but insisted he had to still write me a ticket. Just wondering what peoples opinions are on trying get it dismissed and waht my chances might be?

I would be careful going to the BMV and getting your license. I am from your area, but live in the Columbus area now, and I can tell you that the court system up north is COMPLETELY different up there than it is down here. When you go to the BMV to get your license, they ask if you have any pending tickets or suspensions. If you answer yes, you are not going to get your license until you go to court. If you answer no, you will get your license, but you run the risk of having it taken by the judge for lying. Your court date is less than a week away. I would keep the original paperwork which has the date that you passed the test, go to court, and beg for forgiveness (not literally).

Just out of curiosity, what did he say that he pulled you over for? Did he cite you for anything else?

I got my license right away but on the back of the card mine stated "this is not an endorsement" and our instructor also warned us to get the real license asap as some authorities will not accept just that card. Pretty much depends who and where you are dealing with I suppose

I don't know all I know is what they told us... But I think I got my license the next day they were open don't remember it's been a while

The only reason he pulled me over is he was patrolling through my apt complex and pulled out behind me, ran my plates to see if i had a permitt or license and once it came back permit he pulled me over for having a passenger.

Hate to say but he was correct for giving you that ticket for no ops because technically you don't. but im sure if you go to court humble and pay you initial fine you should be ok. then go directly to bmv and get that hardware

The only reason he pulled me over is he was patrolling through my apt complex and pulled out behind me, ran my plates to see if i had a permitt or license and once it came back permit he pulled me over for having a passenger.

I really don't think that's possible.

all a plate tells them is who the bike is registered to. For them to assume that the person riding it is the registered owner is overly presumptive.

Say you're 16 and your parents own your bike. neither of them have endorsements, but that doesn't mean you can't.

My wife has an endorsement, but let's say she didn't - I could have my bike registered in her name, and that's not probable cause for them to pull me over.

That said, they can easily find a reason to pull over just about anyone. "you didn't signal 500 feet from that intersection." :rolleyes: