Need help building a ramp for my truck

Bad324

I'd like to design and maybe build (or have someone build) a 9-10' folding ramp that I could drive the bike up into the truck bed. I saw some I like online but for $300-$400 I might as well just put the money into a trailer. I am debating the trailer route but the issue is storing it so I'd like to look into the ramp route and this is where you guys come in to play :D

I should warn you I have little to no fabricating skills which also includes not being able to weld. So any opinions and advice would be great

Cut-in driveway or ditch trick. With no design or fabricating skills I wouldn't attempt to build anything. Very tough to make light enough and compact enough to fit in the bed with the bike if it's made out of wood. And very risky to try to use anything that isn't curved like that one you're seeing online.

the issue is finding one long enough as my tailgate sits about 37" from the ground. My Dad uses these 12' ramps he made out of wood for his Harley but they are a complete pain in the ass and overkill for me

my buddy just called and talked me into going to look at a dirt cheap 6x10 enclosed trailer this week that we may be able to keep at his brothers house or there is a storage place about 2mins down the road that could be an option. I'm just not sure I need or want an enclosed but at the price its at would be hard to pass up

It doesn't fold, but what worked for me was cheap and effective. At Tractor supply you can get ramp ends to mount on 2x12's. If you can drill a 5/8" hole and work a wrench and use a saw you can do this. I used an 8' 2x12 braced with a 7' 2x6 underneath. Weighs about 30 lbs and stashes in the back of the truck with about 1' hanging over the edge of the tailgate. To lock it down since my tailgate is down, I simply put it under the sidestand, and when I ratchet strap the bike down, it's pinned to the floor of the bed. It will hold the weight of a Sportster and me on it which allows me to ride up it instead of pushing the scooter up it. I have a 2nd one w/out the bracing to use as a walkway for backing the bike down off the truck. Total cost was about 60-80 bucks for everything. Like I said, it doesn't fold, but it's easier than finding a hill and backing your truck into the bike. My tailgate is only about 1" shorter from ground than yours so it should work just fine for you.

Edited by CollectorDave

That wont work with sportbikes, they sit lower than the Harley and the fairings drag. Needs to be curved.

the calculations I've done show an 8.4' ramp would make it clear. Unless I am doing something wrong

bad do you want it out of stainless or alum? do you know the pitch or can make a template out of cardboard. i can weld something up. ss will be a ton more money. look into the utility trailers. 3-400. let me know what exactly your looking for

aluminum would work. I wouldn't need anything too fancy or curved if this "ramp calculator tool" is accurate

There are somethings you can cheap out on this is one u might not want to. Stuff isant cheap to fix if u break the ramp going up it an falling off lol

Good ramps can be seen used for no more then 150

Also. A small open trailer is light enough that it can be stored standing up against a wall using little to no room. Goodluck