Questions for you about the 4 Japanese Sport Bikes

DTM Brian

sorry but first is ducati

then honda 1000rr

3th R6

never been fan of kawi

Honda, Suzuki? Please, Hyosung is where it's at...

Four Big Japanese bikes only says the thread........:slap:

I can't decide....ride Kawi for sentimental reasons...

This is like an oil thread, but here goes...

One thing to consider is what each person uses a bike for. Street? Track Days? Racing? Drag Racing? You get the idea...

For me, it is racing on a road course. That seems at this point to fall in two classes. 600s and 1000s...

Typically, it is based on who pays the most. That has usually been Suzuki in the liter classes and Yamahas in the 600 classes.

The 600s:

Yamaha right now and for the last few years is the seemingly bike of choice. They handle great, are easy to race prep and have a great package overall. Suzuki this year and last seem to have something competitive with their 600, but it has usually been a turd for the last few... Kawasaki has a decent bike, but it is plagued with handling issues and unless you are a guy that has all three for chasing money, they are usually the third choice. Nobody races a Honda so, they haven't been a thought since the F3 days...

Suzuki and Yamaha are the top two in liter bikes. Suzuki has the most and honestly, is the best package so far. A lot of guys wispering about the BMW and a lot of guys excited about the R1, but the Zook is solid, hanldes great, gets great power with little effort and the cost input is pretty low for the return.

HOWEVER, this year is the year that the OEMs are pretty much not paying a dime to win anything and most guys are sitting on couches unless they have a contract and are paid to race. That means a few brands are showing interest like KTM and BMW that are paying decent. The issue is parts and setup - not a lot of guys race them and therefore, setup is nowhere to be found... Starting new is tough and it makes it a deal where more would come if the setup is found to be solid and a proven winner. Locally at certain regional events? You see BMWs and KTMs kicking everyone's asses. But, spread that out further and you'll see Yamaha and Suzuki doing the normal thing they typically do.

Bottom line for me:

600:

Yamaha R6

1000:

Suzuki GSXR

people usually like what they're most familiar with. And this isn't a simple question at all...

on the world stage (World Superbike and Supersport), Honda's dominate the 600cc class - but at the club level, the front of the pack are all on R6's. So the Honda is "better," but the R6 is "better on a budget."

I love my honda, but if i'm talking performance potential, reliability, ride-ability, etc., I'd have to rank the big 4:

1) Yamaha

2) Honda

3) Suzuki

4) Kawasaki

The R6 is just an amazing package for the track. I'm used to my honda, but I've never seen anyone race and R6 and regret it. The R1 is just as trick.

I put honda second because I love the fact that I can beat the hell out of my bike and know it's still relatively bullet-proof. I do think the 1000RR is kinda... off, but it's light as hell. Again, bullet-proof, which counts for a lot on my budget.

Suzukis were listed third for me because I just don't like them. I can't explain why. I've always thought the headlight configuration was ugly, but they look fine from behind the bars. Whether i'm right or not, I've just always felt like the build quality of suzuki's aren't as "tight" as Honda and Yamaha. I can't definitively say why - probably because the GSXR is like the bat-signal for squids. Not suzuki's fault, but I do hold it against them.

With that said, i admire that Suzuki continues to build a 750, and I know a LOT of racers who are fast as hell that swear up and down by the GSXR 1000. Probably the cheapest way to go racing with the big boys on the AMA stage. Like I said, I don't know why I don't like them more...

and then there's Kawasaki... the new ZX6 is a bike I haven't ridden, but want to. The 636's transmission problems, and the current ZX10's dismal race performance have jaded me to a brand I should have developed strong loyalty to! I hope the 2011 ZX10 gets as good of reviews as the ZX6.

dude we are both right on the same page here... i came from an 05 CBR i loved that thing it was bulletproof.. but didnt have as nice of a turn in as my current 08 r6... hell the wife tracks her 06 cbr... and suk.. dunno why just dont like em... have a few friends with em.. they are pretty fast too but just not my cup of tea.... and kawi.. i had to many issues with my kawi so bottom of the barrel ya go

I appreciate the work Kawi has put into the 636, but having not thrown a leg over one, I have it fourth on my list only from lack of knowledge with it. (Maybe sometime on a ride Cleave and I can swap up so I can edumicate myself on that sled.)

Anytime you want man. I'd love to squid it up and ride some whoolies on that RC :D

dude we are both right on the same page here... i came from an 05 CBR i loved that thing it was bulletproof.. but didnt have as nice of a turn in as my current 08 r6... hell the wife tracks her 06 cbr... and suk.. dunno why just dont like em... have a few friends with em.. they are pretty fast too but just not my cup of tea.... and kawi.. i had to many issues with my kawi so bottom of the barrel ya go

Red's wrong about WSS. Honda has dominated at times and even are doing well now, but the rules in WSS are as such that they allow a LOT of modification and the Honda does well under those guides... Look at FX when it was running here - that's more WSS rules. Under typical SS rules which are less "run whatcha bring" kinda rules, the Yamahas do really well.

Red's wrong about WSS. Honda has dominated at times and even are doing well now, but the rules in WSS are as such that they allow a LOT of modification and the Honda does well under those guides... Look at FX when it was running here - that's more WSS rules. Under typical SS rules which are less "run whatcha bring" kinda rules, the Yamahas do really well.

i was merely talking about the classing of how the bikes go.. not as for as WSB sorry if i didnt clarify...

Ive always switched between Yamaha and Honda. Every person has a different story with each bike, and of course every guy is more than likely to be biased or defend his own bike's brand. I own the new r1 and r6 and they are both nasty bikes. I havent ridden the new kaw or zuk but i did ride the new honda and at 6'3" i dont feel comfortable. Main reason i bought my r1 was because it was the newest thing out and it was different. Plus everyone loves to comment on the exhaust note.

If I could do it again I would still own the exact bike i have, but yet again i still havent been on a new zuk or kaw, never even seen the new suzuki in person. And the new Kaw just doesnt appeal to me whatsoever. But from the past kawasakis I have owned i never liked the overall build quality

One thing I do like about Yamaha that other companies havent done is the fact that I can take a combination hex key set with me on rides and pretty much take the entire bike apart if needed. I always liked that about yamahas.

From a reliability standpoint I will put Honda on top.

My 2009 R1 blew up after 4k miles, luckily Yamaha sent a brand new crate motor and in 3 weeks i was back up and running and they even bought me a new back tire to replaced the oil soaked one. However; my friend with a cbr1000 has had to take his back in for numerous recalls and yes his bike does burn oil. Not sure how I would feel about a brand new bike using oil between changes.

Edited by yamablaster024

I like Honda's, although I've had a couple Yamahas over the years & I'm toying with the idea of getting a Ducati (1100 Monster or Hypermotard) for the street & making my Honda track only. (Harmonization with society & all that).

Ive always switched between Yamaha and Honda. Every person has a different story with each bike, and of course every guy is more than likely to be biased or defend his own bike's brand. I own the new r1 and r6 and they are both nasty bikes. I havent ridden the new kaw or zuk but i did ride the new honda and at 6'3" i dont feel comfortable. Main reason i bought my r1 was because it was the newest thing out and it was different. Plus everyone loves to comment on the exhaust note.

If I could do it again I would still own the exact bike i have, but yet again i still havent been on a new zuk or kaw, never even seen the new suzuki in person. And the new Kaw just doesnt appeal to me whatsoever. But from the past kawasakis I have owned i never liked the overall build quality

One thing I do like about Yamaha that other companies havent done is the fact that I can take a combination hex key set with me on rides and pretty much take the entire bike apart if needed. I always liked that about yamahas.

From a reliability standpoint I will put Honda on top.

My 2009 R1 blew up after 4k miles, luckily Yamaha sent a brand new crate motor and in 3 weeks i was back up and running and they even bought me a new back tire to replaced the oil soaked one. However; my friend with a cbr1000 has had to take his back in for numerous recalls and yes his bike does burn oil. Not sure how I would feel about a brand new bike using oil between changes.

Why did the R1 motor grenade?

I've been a fan of yamaha, in my mind, they have the best balance of handling and power, I think that the look of the Yamaha's move me, the CBRs look to boring to me, and Zuk and Kaw look too robotish I suppose.

besides, gixxers are squid bikes, glws.

:lol:

Edited by tachman