what's wrong with our country and economy?

serpentracer

is this the kind of thing why over 2 million people are still unemployed in our country? well, it's def part of it.

(read the external requirements)

http://cincinnati.jobnewsusa.com/job--Cincinnati_Warehouse_Jobs--Warehousing_Jobs_in_Blue_Ash_Ohio--Dr_Pepper_Snapple_Group_Jobs--Warehouse_Worker__Jobs--Job_10462943/C615T612U624E630T618V639C624H621.aspx

you have to have an associates degree, 2 years experience AND forklift certification to be a warehouse worker now.:confused::rolleyes::nono: And I'm sure the pay starts at $9 which is why they don't post it.

we're headed to a society where it takes a doctorate degree to drive cabs and work at mcdonalds.

Real estimates are that up to 25% of men of age 25 to 55 are unemployed currently. Uncounted numbers of them took part time, went to school, gave up, or retired early. Under those conditions, employers can ask for a lot.

Human resources departments also generally ask for more requirements than they can get. That way they can legally say no thanks. Confusing, because we're supposed to apply for jobs we aren't qualified for.

edit: I laugh, I saw someone with a double doctorate working as a part time lab assistant....

I'm not trying to degrade anyone who works in a warehouse position. but you folks know it's not a job that requires a lot of "educational" process.

right now, I'd take that job. but I know I'm not qualified for it, I mean I've only been building additions on people homes, installing windows, doors, roofs(yuck!), concrete, electric for patio enclosures inc for over 10 years, fixing cars, painting (home and auto), worked at JTM food group after school, worked as a dock worker for Pitt-Ohio(certified fork lift experience), and delivered furniture for Globe furniture for a year,

I'm a complete idiot that isn't qualified enough to figure out truck 22234 needs 10 pallets of Dr.Pepper and 8 pallets of snapple green tea.

I should have used my Associates degree in warehouse management for land a sweet $20k a year job.

I'm not trying to degrade anyone who works in a warehouse position. but you folks know it's not a job that requires a lot of "educational" process.

right now, I'd take that job. but I know I'm not qualified for it, I mean I've only been building additions on people homes, installing windows, doors, roofs(yuck!), concrete, electric for patio enclosures inc for over 10 years, fixing cars, painting (home and auto), worked at JTM food group after school, worked as a dock worker for Pitt-Ohio(certified fork lift experience), and delivered furniture for Globe furniture for a year,

I'm a complete idiot that isn't qualified enough to figure out truck 22234 needs 10 pallets of Dr.Pepper and 8 pallets of snapple green tea.

I should have used my Associates degree in warehouse management for land a sweet $20k a year job.

i totally agree with you and see where you are coming from man. lets just say you are way more educated than me with an associates degree, all i have is the experience, certifications, and licences. If our small business tanks im more than likely screwed. :o But good news is we have been around along time and our customer base is growing, not rapidly but its growing.

So, what is everyone's advice on this? Should the under-qualified person apply for the job anyway? Realistically, what is the person out, a little time?

My problem with the formal education requirements is that in college they teach you from the book, where in the real world, they need someone that knwos what they're doing. Many of the jobs I have seen want both, a couple years experience and a degree, for stuff that you would never think would need it for, such as the OP.

Don't worry. It will get better.

Vice President Biden predicted Friday at a Pennsylvania fundraiser that the U.S. economy would be adding up to 500,000 jobs each month "some time in the next couple of months."

"All in all we're going to be creating somewhere between 100[,000] and 200,000 jobs next month, I predict," Biden said, according to a pool report, adding that he "got in trouble" for a job growth prediction last month. "Even some in the White House said, 'Hey, don't get ahead of yourself.' Well, I'm here to tell you, some time in the next couple of months, we're going to be creating between 250,000 jobs a month and 500,000 jobs a month."

23 April 2010

:banana:

So, what is everyone's advice on this? Should the under-qualified person apply for the job anyway? Realistically, what is the person out, a little time?

My problem with the formal education requirements is that in college they teach you from the book, where in the real world, they need someone that knwos what they're doing. Many of the jobs I have seen want both, a couple years experience and a degree, for stuff that you would never think would need it for, such as the OP.

Yes, do apply for jobs that you are qualified for. It's your decision, not theirs. Regardless of what they ask for. If the job posting looks a bit odd, like it is asking for a bit too much, then go right ahead and apply. Seriously, employers have a habit of asking above the level they are actually looking for. For whatever reason. It's complicated, and would require a discussion solely about that. Conversely, you can apply for jobs that you are over-qualified for. But it will take a bit of convincing in the interview.

Experience will continue to be more important than education. Examples of your work will always help to convince people. Certifications related to job function are more important than they used to be.

Both education and experience can be picked up on most jobs. And I will admit that a two year associate's degree often works out better than a four year degree. (And a lot cheaper.) And most of a two year degree can now be taken on-line at home.

Experience will continue to be more important than education. Examples of your work will always help to convince people. Certifications related to job function are more important than they used to be.

Funny you say that, Cause at my work they would not allow a shift foreman who had 41 years in the same job to step up to general foreman. The reason they gave him was he did not have a degree. He has more knowledge then anyone for this job. Insteed they brought in a kid who got lost on his way to our department his first day. Knows nothing about what we do and has never done any of the jobs we do. OH but he has a degree so that must make him smart right? WRONG!

agreed. I could probably take some college class somewhere to tell me how to do brakes alignments and timing belts and what nots but with out having the hands i still wouldnt really know anything.

agreed. I could probably take some college class somewhere to tell me how to do brakes alignments and timing belts and what nots but with out having the hands i still wouldnt really know anything.

No kidding! With some timing belts, you almost nee an engineering degree, just to come up with some clue as to why they would even think of doing it that way!

I passed the ASE auto trans test without ever tering into one! It was shortly after that when I got someone to show me the basics and took to it pretty well. I have to say that having my last 2 years of high school spent in vocational school helped me a lot, though. I learned why some things work the way they do, such as A/C, but without actually changing out parts in the shop, it didn't do a whole lot of good. On top of that, I learned R12, and although things are similar, you just can't rely on a set of gauges any more.

is this the kind of thing why over 2 million people are still unemployed in our country? well, it's def part of it.

(read the external requirements)

http://cincinnati.jobnewsusa.com/job--Cincinnati_Warehouse_Jobs--Warehousing_Jobs_in_Blue_Ash_Ohio--Dr_Pepper_Snapple_Group_Jobs--Warehouse_Worker__Jobs--Job_10462943/C615T612U624E630T618V639C624H621.aspx

you have to have an associates degree, 2 years experience AND forklift certification to be a warehouse worker now.:confused::rolleyes::nono: And I'm sure the pay starts at $9 which is why they don't post it.

we're headed to a society where it takes a doctorate degree to drive cabs and work at mcdonalds.

Oh, you know. This is just from the continued defecation on the public school systems. You watch. Private schools will soon be the only available option for decent schooling. Public schools are just a place to be babysat. College is where the "real learning" takes place because that way, you spend a shit ton of money, and most of the time it is through federal loans you will pay back 3Xs as much. The persuit of knowledge in this country has been appropriately askewed with tv and other cultural significances. Now to get smart, you have to go to college lol.

Plus a dumber audience is easier to entertain... Because that is all this is. A show. Like big time wrestling or the NBA.

Sounds grim- but I am hopeful.

The market's adjusting to the fact that a lot of unskilled manufacturing jobs that have been lost aren't coming back, Americans can't afford to live on what they pay workers in Chinese sweatshops. There are a lot of unemployed unskilled laborers out there that are going to have to either get an education or take a step or two down on the pay scale/type of job. With that pool so large potential employers can ask for the moon and pay next to nothing.

A 2 year degree is now what a high school diploma used to be, now that only means you can probably read.

Yes, unfortunately we're currently in a 'buyer's market' as far as labor is concerned. Labor supply is up, demand is down, so employers get to set the terms.

Some industries need this, I'm sure, to get labor costs in check. Others, the salary offerings are still really good, especially when talking about a skilled area. From what I've seen, experienced Auto Techs are in pretty good demand right now, and start out with good wages.

Funny you say that, Cause at my work they would not allow a shift foreman who had 41 years in the same job to step up to general foreman. The reason they gave him was he did not have a degree. He has more knowledge then anyone for this job. Insteed they brought in a kid who got lost on his way to our department his first day. Knows nothing about what we do and has never done any of the jobs we do. OH but he has a degree so that must make him smart right? WRONG!

Yes, employers will still make mistakes. And per federal law, if that guy with 41 years experience has to train the kid... wrong in so many ways. But in 41 years, that guy should have put some time in on education also. Jobs aren't forever anymore. It's best to have a backup skill in order to survive.