250 ninja track bike?

joshfz.2008

i've been thinking of building a track bike but was wondering if anyone was running the 250, i just thought it would be a way to get started cheap. any ideas? the only cost i would have in the bike would be to trailer it back from down south it was my wifes, then she gave it to her brother to learn on, and now he just bought another bike.

If your looking for cheap and easy to maintain at the track I wouldn't go for a 250 for the sense that there aren't a lot of people tracking them so track parts could be hard to find. I'm not saying that it's a bad idea I'm just thinking that it would be much better for you to pick up a tracked out sv650 or an f4i. They are supper easy to maintain at the track, they will have a little more power for you, and you could probably pick one up that's already track modified for the same price if not cheaper than it would be to track out a 250. There's my $.02

If your looking for cheap and easy to maintain at the track I wouldn't go for a 250 for the sense that there aren't a lot of people tracking them so track parts could be hard to find. I'm not saying that it's a bad idea I'm just thinking that it would be much better for you to pick up a tracked out sv650 or an f4i. They are supper easy to maintain at the track, they will have a little more power for you, and you could probably pick one up that's already track modified for the same price if not cheaper than it would be to track out a 250. There's my $.02

I would get a SV before an F4i, alot more parts and setup info.

personally, id go for the ninja 500 over the 250. its just as cheap but has a little more power. but if you already got the 250, then go for it

i just got the idea since i'll have no cost in the bike its self and usually go donw there a couple times a year. i was going to do the plastics my self just fiberglass over the headlight opening and stuff like that, i'd just hate to have it just sitting. i know that WERA used to have a 250 class but don't know if they still do

I personally would just rip the plastics off of one and beat the snot out of it on the track. If I didn't already have 2 bikes, I'd look into a 250. Yes, you'd be slower than everyone else but you'll really learn to carry speed through a corner. Whipping a little bike like that around would be a blast, and since you already have one, I say go for it.

I've seen a few other Ninja 250's on the track of various vintages, but they're not the most common thing. I say go for it.

• 2 weeks later...

i think RACING a 250 is a better idea than taking one to a trackday. Closing speeds combined with (at least some) inexperienced riders can yield dire consequences. On a tight enough track (summit Jefferson, maybe?) it would be less hairy.

I've never counted, but I think it's fair to speculate that most riders at trackdays are on 600's. (i'd say 50% are on 600's or 750's, 20% liter bikes, 20% 650's, 10% everything else)

The closing speeds between a 250 (i'll say 100mph max - if it has enough straight to get going that quick) and even an SV (125, conservatively) aren't terrible. the differential is about the same between a 600 and a 1000, but the bigger the track, the worse it gets.

I think a 250 would be a hoot to ride on track, but at a trackday, I'd constantly be thinking, "am I going to get ass-packed by a liter bike?"

I think a 250 would be a hoot to ride on track, but at a trackday, I'd constantly be thinking, "am I going to get ass-packed by a liter bike?"

hahahahahaha.

i would rock a 250 at a trackday, mid-ohio would be a lil hairy. grattan wuoldnt be as bad.

i would rock a 250 at a trackday, mid-ohio would be a lil hairy. grattan wuoldnt be as bad.

yeah, I just try to put myself in the bigger bike's place. If I get decent drive out of the keyhole, I'm shifting into 6th gear before the kink and I'll see 164 (indicated, not actual).

a 250 might not even be up to it's top speed by then, and I'm doing a solid 40mph faster than it.

so i guess a 250 COULD be safe, but it would take a very aware rider consciously leaving enough room for faster bikes to get around. I'd always try to be 6' from the outside of the track just to give people a safe and easy place to pass.