glock 29 vs glock 30 - and other CC ?s

Steve Butters

whats the major differences between these two?

cost per round, reliability, accuracy, etc?

i see a lot of people praising the 10mm, but it seems like the .45 would be a better option due to ammo availability and a bigger shot from a similar sized gun

anyone carry one of these? whats your opinion on it for a concealed carry?

can you get a full grip on it or just 3 fingers or what?

just lookin for some info since ill be in the market soon... ive narrowed it down to

springfield xd .45 acp

glock 29/30

or

springfield xd subcompact 9mm

glock 26

ide really like an HK 45 compact, but im not sure i could justify the price when i can get something just as reliable for several hundred cheaper

im worried that the subs will not give a firm enough grip being that i wont be able to get all my fingers on it for a firm grip

thoughts? who here carries a subcompact?

anyone with the HK 45 compact care to chime in and persuade me?

also...a lot of people say to get a 1911 for conceal because of how thin they are...but they just look so BIG

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. You don't really use your little finger on the grip for much more than moral support.

2. You forgot .40cal. Important since most LEOs go for 9mm, .45cal, or .40cal. A few federal agencies use or did use 10mm.

3. There are small 1911s, like the Commander, or the Officer model. Or equivalent from other manufacturers.

4. Unless you're a really big person, a single stack magazine type firearm will conceal easier than a double stack magazine.

5. In anything other than warm weather, when you're wearing heavy jackets, it won't matter. Except when you have to take it off.

6. Reliability is the only factor worthy. Accuracy and cost at close range doesn't matter. At long range, you probably shouldn't be firing.

Like everyone says, go to a firing range that rents firearms to try out, and do that. Find one that you are comfortable with. Also check out some of the holsters if they have time, and try those on too (with the firearm).

1. You don't really use your little finger on the grip for much more than moral support.

2. You forgot .40cal. Important since most LEOs go for 9mm, .45cal, or .40cal. A few federal agencies use or did use 10mm.

3. There are small 1911s, like the Commander, or the Officer model. Or equivalent from other manufacturers.

4. Unless you're a really big person, a single stack magazine type firearm will conceal easier than a double stack magazine.

5. In anything other than warm weather, when you're wearing heavy jackets, it won't matter. Except when you have to take it off.

6. Reliability is the only factor worthy. Accuracy and cost at close range doesn't matter. At long range, you probably shouldn't be firing.

Like everyone says, go to a firing range that rents firearms to try out, and do that. Find one that you are comfortable with. Also check out some of the holsters if they have time, and try those on too (with the firearm).

1. thats good to know, i wasnt sure if it would affect stability or not....do you think the subcompacts would be better for concealed then instead of the full size? i like the glock 26 or the springfield xd 9mm....what about a .45 subcompact? too much punch for such a small gun? any stability issues there?

2. not opposed to .40, just listed a few of the specific models i have been looking at

3. ill have to look into the smaller 1911s...i still dont know if i like them much though

4. what does that mean? single stack and double stack? im a big guy, so im not worried about being able to conceal it, but im interested to know what you mean

5. -

6. was wondering on cost per round for the range and stuff, thats all...ide like to fire a lot to get used to it and work on accuracy so when i need it, im able to use it

how much does a range usually charge per gun to rent? would new albany be the best/closest place to the east side of columbus?

im trying to narrow down my choices a bit so when i go to look at them, i know a select few to look for so i kinda have an idea of what i want

A full house 10 mm is pretty stout even in my full size Glock. Most loadings on the market are the FBI light 10. No better than the 40 S&W. The ammo for the 10 is outrageously expensive unless you reload. I actually got a conversion barrel for mine so I can practice with the .40

Edited by Xfz
like i said before I am stupid

I've got the XD Service 4" in both 9mm and .45 auto - if you feel like heading to the range sometime lemme know - you can rent them for free from me...

I've carried both, but now carry the .45 since it has a thumb safety. Adjust the cant of the holster so the grip's more vertical and they conceal fine.

S&W M&P.

I CC a compact .45 without hardly any problem. You're a bigger guy than be so you won't have any issue either. I also don't have an issue with my pinky on the grip but it's usually loaded with the extension magazine for that reason. Not a big deal either way.

I have a Bersa .32 in case I need to conceal better.

Every LEO I know or have meet use M&P 40s. The army is supposed to be going from 9mm to .40, if they haven't already.

I have promoted New Albany in the past but don't anymore. Every time I go in there with a question they act holier than thou and piss me off. Screw em.

I personally don't like Glocks because of how they feel in my hand. Too squared off and isn't very ergonomic. But to each there own. GLWS.

Single stack is a single row of bullets stacked one on top of the other in the magazine. Double stacked is a staggered or zig zag shape in the magazine meaning they are not stack on top of each other, which results in a wider magazine/grip on the gun.

So as for the guns I carry a XD9sc with a grip extension on it. I am a stout guy so it conceals pretty well. In summer I use a iwb holster to conceal it. It fit my hand better then any of the glocks I looked at. I saw find one that fits your hand well shoot it and see if you like it. Put a box or two 50/100 rnds thru each one you think you like. I tried a few before I found the one I like the feel of and shot good with.

I carry an XD SC .40 with the extension on it. Your hand can't be much bigger then mine. After installing the grips and the extension the gun fits great and is very accurate. 9mm ammo is easy to find and cheaper, .40 ammo is also easy to find and a little more expensive, .45 ammo....umm not sure never looked for it or priced it. Columbus PD is going to the SW MP .40 from what I have heard....well everyone but TAC they are staying with H&K, again from what I have heard.

I have a SW MP 9mm compact and obviously my XD SC .40. If you are interested in the LCP .380 I know someone looking to sell one that's practically brand new. However I think it will be way too small for you., also unless .380 rounds have been replenished, they may be hard to find. I haven't looked for them in awhile.

If you want to take a look at the M&P or the XD, let me know I don't live that far from you. (neither of them are for sale but you can get a feeling for a SC if you would like. had to put that in there before Todd came looking for my XD)

I carry an XD SC .40 with the extension on it. Your hand can't be much bigger then mine. After installing the grips and the extension the gun fits great and is very accurate. 9mm ammo is easy to find and cheaper, .40 ammo is also easy to find and a little more expensive, .45 ammo....umm not sure never looked for it or priced it. Columbus PD is going to the SW MP .40 from what I have heard....well everyone but TAC they are staying with H&K, again from what I have heard.

I have a SW MP 9mm compact and obviously my XD SC .40. If you are interested in the LCP .380 I know someone looking to sell one that's practically brand new. However I think it will be way too small for you., also unless .380 rounds have been replenished, they may be hard to find. I haven't looked for them in awhile.

If you want to take a look at the M&P or the XD, let me know I don't live that far from you. (neither of them are for sale but you can get a feeling for a SC if you would like. had to put that in there before Todd came looking for my XD)

I know a Columbus K9, he uses the M&P .40.

Yeah you can come check out my M&P .45 compact too since Meanie and I are neighbors.

Yeah, what they all said. The .45 feels like too much in a small frame for some people. Dunno. I've had .380 in light frames kick more than 9mm in heavier frames. It's all what it feels like. (It seems like the design of Glocks keeps the barrel low, and lessens the kick/recoil.) Which is why it's so important to try them. If you really want to practice with cheap ammo, buy a .38 or .357 revolver and practice with that. You can even practice with dirt cheap .22cal. It's the practice part that counts, and finish up with your favorite sidearm to stay familiar with it.

edit: 45cal ammo has gotten fairly expensive. I suppose just because it's got so much copper and lead in it, and metals prices have gone way up.

Edited by ReconRat

had to put that in there before Todd came looking for my XD)
Too late I already got one since you wouldn't sell me yours.... Still looking for a P22 or PK380 though.
I know a Columbus K9, he uses the M&P .40.

How does a K9 use the M&P, poor dogs don't have pose-able thumbs???

thanks for the insight guys...im gonna PM meanie and see if i can come get a feel for the XD 40

ive really been looking towards the springfield due to what most people are telling me - im really just looking around now because i wont be able to buy until next spring, but im going to find what i like and set the money aside in cash somewhere so i dont blow it lol

+1^ I had a Glock 26 and It was remarkably accurate and steady in the hand. It's so bulky that I found myself always turning to my 642 for CC.

I agree. I have a pinky extension that slips onto the bottom of the clip to give a little more grip. Some think a 9mm is a little light but I find it far more accurate than my Glock .40. But that's probably just me. The 26 is a little bulky for CC but doable. Fragmented rounds will offset somewhat the slightly lower stopping power of the 9.

one of these

http://www.gundirectory.com/more.asp?gid=20437&gun=Revolver

and i sold one of these too..it was an alright feeling gun, but had jammed up once on my dads friend and i didnt feel safe with it after that

Walther PPK/S Cal.9mm Kurz/380ACP

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p281/ae86pwr/PPK/IMG_0002.jpg

max...i actually just sold a real nice S&W .38 special not long ago..it was a nice gun, but it wasnt for me

Thats a big heavy .38. For CC you need to try one of these:

DisplayPic.aspx?PIC=29174

It weighs 12 oz. and it NEVER JAMS. EVER.

EVER.

Its also very accurate.

thanks for the insight guys...im gonna PM meanie and see if i can come get a feel for the XD 40

ive really been looking towards the springfield due to what most people are telling me - im really just looking around now because i wont be able to buy until next spring, but im going to find what i like and set the money aside in cash somewhere so i dont blow it lol

If you decide to practice with the .40 and want some ammo, let me know. I have 150 rounds, but I sold my XD.40 two years ago. I'll sell it cheap or trade for .38, .45, .380, or 9mm. $25. 50 are blazer brass and 100 are cabela's factory reloads. All reliable and stored in a climate-controlled safe.

http://www.gundirectory.com/more.asp?gid=20437&gun=Revolver

12oz and 23oz doesnt seem like that much of a difference to me lol...

they would make a great CC gun, nice and small....but i dont ever see carrying one...wheelguns just arent my thing...plus, that things so small you cant even find it when you need it (skunk-huntin)!!

If you decide to practice with the .40 and want some ammo, let me know. I have 150 rounds, but I sold my XD.40 two years ago. I'll sell it cheap or trade for .38, .45, .380, or 9mm. $25. 50 are blazer brass and 100 are cabela's factory reloads. All reliable and stored in a climate-controlled safe.

thanks but i wont be practicing with it...just gonna get a feel for it, im only 20 so i dont think i can go to the range, and i dont think meanie would want me shootin up his neighborhood lol