Looking for "scenic" route suggestions

SWing'R

I'm planning a ride with a friend of mine for this Sunday, we have been

trying to get together all season for a ride and finally have been able to

agree on this Sunday for a all-day ride.

He has a cruiser so I'm not looking for anything crazy twisty, more "scenic".

The idea of this ride is to put on miles and take in some nice landscape!

If the route happens to include twisties, thats simply a plus for me :D

I've never really planned a ride around a "scenic" route so let me here your suggestions.

I am thinking of including 56 thru Hocking and maybe something around Salt Fork State Park?

The best "scenic" stretch of road is N. High st. between Lane and GhettoKrogers.

I will agree with ya here, but not the kind of scenery I'm talkin about ;)

Take him to 555...he'll sell his cruiser...I'm just sayin...

I would take him down 555 but not sure he's ready for that road, he doesn't have alot of twisty

experience and I'll just end up losing him cause no way I'll be able to maintain "cruiser speed"

if I go down the tripple nickel!

And, it IS scenic (if you dare take your eyes off the road)!

Yeah, hey look at that cow over theeere, oh shit what am I doing in this pond?:lol:

Edited by SWing'R

Work your way down to Route 50. Its pretty scenic between Chillicothe (no idea how to spell it) and Athens. It has a few nice sweepers as you near Athens. Work your way through the town an pick up old 33 by the BP station. It is now called 33-A or Darwin Road. At 50 MPH it is scenic, at 80 it is very very cool.:D It dead ends into 681. If you take a left it will take you to the river and 124. Warning, 681 will make your friend sick. If you turn right pick up 33 and head to Pomeroy about 10 -15 minutes away. 124 will take you either to Marietta or or Galliapolis. Cant go wrong either way. If you can get there by lunch time meet some of the other OR riders at the Crazy Horse in Pomeroy.

Work your way down to Route 50. Its pretty scenic between Chillicothe (no idea how to spell it) and Athens. It has a few nice sweepers as you near Athens. Work your way through the town an pick up old 33 by the BP station. It is now called 33-A or Darwin Road. At 50 MPH it is scenic, at 80 it is very very cool.:D It dead ends into 681. If you take a left it will take you to the river and 124. Warning, 681 will make your friend sick. If you turn right pick up 33 and head to Pomeroy about 10 -15 minutes away. 124 will take you either to Marietta or or Galliapolis. Cant go wrong either way. If you can get there by lunch time meet some of the other OR riders at the Crazy Horse in Pomeroy.

Thanks for those suggestions, gotta sit down with the map tomorrow and plan this ride.

Moose has a great point there, and it was So nice of Him to volunteer to lead you guys for a ride. Sometimes, he can be a great guy!

I don't wanna follow him into any ditches ;)

If you're going to take 56 past the Hocking Hills area take 374 north to Big Pine Rd.Take a right on Big Pine,towards Conkles Hollow,keep going on Big Pine until you get to 664.Thompson Ridge is also scenic,it's farther north on 374 and runs over to Laurelville.Some people call it the little Blue Ridge because of the views and sweepers.

If you're going to take 56 past the Hocking Hills area take 374 north to Big Pine Rd.Take a right on Big Pine,towards Conkles Hollow,keep going on Big Pine until you get to 664.Thompson Ridge is also scenic,it's farther north on 374 and runs over to Laurelville.Some people call it the little Blue Ridge because of the views and sweepers.

:plus1: excellent route choices for leading cruisers. You can pick up Thompson Ridge right from the parking lot of Rock House on 374.

800 is curvy all the way to the river,not tight stuff,more sweepers with a few fairly tight curves.It's a big favorite of cruiser riders.It gets a little tighter as you descend the hill to the Ohio river.If you're looking for a place to eat,Traditions on the square in Woodsfield is pretty good.

Now if you want to show him tight and twisty...about 4-6 miles south Woodsfield take 26 south to 537 to 260 south.

Also,if you're going to be that far east,255 is pretty scenic.A really nice valley and some high peak views.It's twisty in spots!255 t's into 800 about 8 miles south of Woodsfield.

800 is curvy all the way to the river,not tight stuff,more sweepers with a few fairly tight curves.It's a big favorite of cruiser riders.

I'm curious to check out 800, sounds inviting. Got to sit down and figure out the mileage, this may be to far but this is my thoughts so far...

104 down to Circleville

56 to Athens

550 from Athens to Marietta

7 from Marietta to 800

800 to 70

70 to 77 to 541

541 thru Coshocton to 62

62 to 37

37 to Delaware

My friend lives in Delaware so I'd basically be bringing him right to his doorstep.

80 degrees and sunny. Whats wrong with that?

Rain will move thorough today, instead of tomorrow. And a good bit of that is burning off already. 13% chance of minimal amounts of rain for Sunday. Mostly in the East and NorthEast part of Ohio. Temps 69 to 83. Winds calm. 40-50% overcast. Good day to ride.

So here is what I've decided on. Whether or not we stick to the route

as planned will be decided once we see how the day is going. Route takes

us thru Hocking, Wayne National and along the Ohio River for abit.

• START = 104 & Frank Rd
  • 104 to 56 = 22mi
  • 56 to Athens = 60mi
  • 550 from Athens to Marietta = 45mi
  • 7 from Marietta to 800 = 36mi
  • 800 to 70 = 42mi
  • 70W to 77N = 22mi
  • 77N to 541 = 10mi
  • 541 to Coshocton = 24mi
  • 541 to Martinsburg/62 = 28mi
  • 62 to Johnstown/37 = 20mi
  • 37 to the Flying J = 15mi