Total Loss buy back from Ins. Co.

jbctown

If the bike is still rideable. you might be able to get them to leave the title clean and pay out 3/4 of the value of the bike. Which is usually about the same as getting paid the full value of the bike and then buying it back except you get to keep a clean title.

I had a wreck awhile back where the damage was mostly cosmetic and the cost to fix it was actually way less than an actual insurance quote due to the really high cost of parts from the dealer. I kept a clean title and was able to be payed 3/4 of the value of the bike. Then I just replaced everything that was damaged with better than OEM aftermarket parts

At the time I was with Geico and anything under 3/4 of the value of the bike paid back was not a total. Me and the agent talked it over and he thought it was reasonable. Otherwise he would have totaled it.

this...wrecked my car and they were gonna total it...so i told them to subtract the bumper and headlights from the bill, and that bumped me down just low enough to get by without having it totalled

I advise you to be very aggressive when negotiating the deal. You should reject any settlement offer if you can find a close match for your bike for sale at a higher price in your area. Provide them with documentation, examples of ads and classifieds showing what value you'd expect to pay to replace the bike. Remember, you don't have to accept their first, second or any offer. Insurance agents have way more discretion in these matters than they let on. Once you've driven the settlement price up, then offer to pay the cost of storage and haulage on the wreck if they'll let you keep the bike.

Unlikely as it sounds, this worked wonders for me. I bumped the offer on my totaled Ducati up by $2000 and paid $75 storage fee for the bike.

I rode the bike for three or four miles after the accident and it was fine. Buy that bike back or I will.

I am going to when we agree on a price. They are at $6,985 less $500 ded. and buy back of $1,550. I would have the bike and get a check for $5,435. I can work with that and could care less if it has a salvage title.

did you discuss with them how much they'd pay you if they didn't total it.

My insurance guy was really reasonable about it. I think it's less headache for them to not total it and no matter what anyone says the bike is worth more with a clean title.

Sounds like the pay out would be about the same if they will pay out 3/4 the value of the bike to fix it and you'd have less hassle and a clean title. Same money, but better situation for you.

Go ahead, do the math yourself.

Edited by vw151