coshocton ride saturday

Hutch

Okay, here's the video. If you turn up your volume real loud you can hear my tire squealin.

The gopro doesn't pick up much sound "behind" it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2L2pn35Ulk

When I stopped at the sign back on the corner I had to get off the bike a minute and walk it off,

was a little freaked at that moment. The guy on the riding mower across the street asked if I was

alright, said he saw me sliding back and forth!

Edited by SWing'R

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess you can blame me a little I was leading and new it was a bad turn should of waited to get you slowed down some

No way dude. There's no one to blame in a situation like this besides myself.

It all turned out okay anyway!

How did you keep that up right? it looked like you was going down for sure. But really if you would of just turned into the corner you more than likely would of made it. looks like you just got spooked. Eveyone tells me JUST TRUST THE BIKE

Did you say you used the back brake? You could have high sided if you let if off at a time like that... Glad you're good man.

Which is why I never let off the back brake until I straightened it up and was off onto the side road.

I knew once I started to fishtail if I let off it I'd have probably got bucked right off the bike.

How did you keep that up right? it looked like you was going down for sure. But really if you would of just turned into the corner you more than likely would of made it. looks like you just got spooked. Eveyone tells me JUST TRUST THE BIKE

From looking at the video, I also think you could've made it just fine, but then again, you were the one feeling what was going on.

Which is why I never let off the back brake until I straightened it up and was off onto the side road.

I knew once I started to fishtail if I let off it I'd have probably got bucked right off the bike.

Such a good thing that you actually thought of that when it was happening!

Sounds like you need a dirtbike, or dual sport!
Supermoto
I know right. I'm fast earning a reputation for "off roading". But if the last TWO rides with TaRR and Todd have taught me anything

it's that I've got some mad recovery skills! :D (actually I'm just damn lucky)

Supermoto and more seat time on the good roads.
One thing I've learned from MdgetTodd' date=' TA-rr and Brent is they are better riders than I am! :lol:

Oh fook... Did I really just say something good about the Midgetfooker?[/quote']You're g........well nevermind you already know:)

Yup, that bike is capable of more than you are. Just lean harder takes a little nerve but after you do it once it's easy after that.

If I was coming up on that turn, every bit of my visual would be saying 'gravel everywhere'. I know he can make that turn. I would've ditched straight, too until I got a better look at it.

There's one curve on 374 that bites me every time. I always come into it too hot and there's sparse gavel. Last time out it happened again. My choices were driveway post or ride the bike. My tires were everywhere but they stuck.

I took the 250r on 60 today and that turn is way sharper than that camera makes it look. My first time out there and had alot of fun. Found out I need to work on my left turns lol. I wouldn't mind tagging along sometime but no way I can keep up.

I took the 250r on 60 today and that turn is way sharper than that camera makes it look.

I know right. Damn wide angle lens making me look like a wimp :o

The vid makes it look like a clear case of target fixation (of which I've definitely been guilty of). Not too much speed, just looking the wrong place. Glad it turned out OK.

I don't know that I'd call it target fixation, I just got spooked and didn't feel I could make the turn when I saw how sharp it was.

Could I have made it? Maybe, but my gut told me I was going to fast for my skill level to attempt it, hence the split second decision to stand on the brake.

I honestly can't even remember if I applied any front brake, once the back locked I just rode that out.

Had the side road not been there, you may have just tried to ride it through. Instead you realized you had a "safer" way and fixated on that? Just a thought.

You know it happened so fast I'm not really even sure I noticed that road so much as I simply ended up there. :dunno: Oh well.

Edited by SWing'R

I watched again, and took the wide angle lense into account. Yes, you carried speed into an impossible turn. This goes back to that "find the corner line first on roads that aren't familiar".

One thing I think we've all found on Ohio back roads. When a little arrow is posted at the turn to show the turn, they aren't kidding. There's several on 555 like that. Actually, on 555 one of the turns has a BIG arrow on the corner.

?? 2 other bikes went thru it before him atleast 15mph faster without issue, dont think I'd call it an impossible turn.

Yes, but David didn't know that. You can sense the indecision. And would you try to set for that turn with the rear wheel skidding left and right? I'm ok with doing that, I've done it enough times. But I wouldn't recommend it.