Riding with music.....

Jst2fst

Do you ride with music or consider it a safety concern?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ride with music or consider it a safety concern?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, Its a safety concern
    • Undecided

OK, so what are you views on riding with music. Do you yourself do it or consider it taboo and or a safety concern. Myself I just bought some speakers for my helmet and I'm trying them out. So far they seem to be doing ok. Even though the volume is mid-range I can still here when people are talking to me. The speakers I bought off of Eaby and they fit right behind the ear cut out's not effecting comfort. What's you're take?

I got speakers on my bars. Loud enough to hear through full face shoei up to around 90 mph

V 1.0: speaker Crash Bars (not too useful in a crash) kind of difficult to hear past 60 mph

007man.jpg

V 2.0: on the handlebars, much better volume, less obvious, better protected.

0a9f7d46.jpg

Edited by magley64

Need tunes too. Got the Zumo 550 with the XM Radio attachment. Helps a lot when you're seeing nothing but corn in North Dakota. Used helmet speakers then switched to Skullcandy buds. They stay in the ears very well and make great earplugs when the songs are muted.

At first I thought that I'd ride with ear buds but decided against it due to the fact that some cars are quieter than others. That's why mine side behind the ear insert I'm still able to hear traffic only downside is finding a place for the wires to be out of the way.

I've recently discovered that riding with music keeps me much more aware. My mind doesn't wonder and I stay much more focused on the task at hand, instead of the house project in the back of my mind or whatever else runs through my head. I use skull candy type ear buds, and they are great, beause if i turn the tunes off, they dub as nice ear plugs too.

I have a Midland kit in my helmet. On the commute i get the traffic reports to help keep me out of the highest concentrations of idiot cagers. The Midland kit is nice. Mounts well on my lid, connects to my iPhone and I can still hear what is going on around me.

I use the media player on my bb and jvc ear buds. I used to always say I wouldn't listen to music because I figured it would be a distraction. Was I wrong! All season I have been listening to tunes riding and can't go back to not listening. If anything I concentrate a little better with a tune playing in my ears.

I use a Etymotic er-6 that's like using earplugs and it drops the the ambient noise enough that I don't have to turn the volume on the player up much at all and still hear the important things like sirens, it makes a big fatigue difference at the end of a riding day.

All of you saying you can't hear quiet cars with earbuds in...why are you listening for cars? You have these two things in the front of your skull, they are gelatinous blobs of goo that absorb light and transfer it to your brain. Maybe you could try using those to look out for cars?

Not trying to be too much of a dick here, but I don't see how hearing a car could help you in any way. Watching the road, identifying hazards, and acting properly keep you safe. I always ride with ear plugs in due to my louder exhaust and I hate having wind noise in my helmet, I feel it hasn't decreased my safety in any way. The only time I should need to hear is when a car is honking its horn at me, which is probably right before they hit me anyways, so what's the point.

Just my $0.02.

I also ride with earbuds that isolate noise when I want muzak.

All of you saying you can't hear quiet cars with earbuds in...why are you listening for cars? You have these two things in the front of your skull, they are gelatinous blobs of goo that absorb light and transfer it to your brain. Maybe you could try using those to look out for cars?

Not trying to be too much of a dick here, but I don't see how hearing a car could help you in any way. Watching the road, identifying hazards, and acting properly keep you safe. I always ride with ear plugs in due to my louder exhaust and I hate having wind noise in my helmet, I feel it hasn't decreased my safety in any way. The only time I should need to hear is when a car is honking its horn at me, which is probably right before they hit me anyways, so what's the point.

Just my $0.02.

I also ride with earbuds that isolate noise when I want muzak.

Nice rebuttal man, point taken. I've heard different stories about riders and listening to music. As with any situation their are multiple sides to every story. I see nothing wrong with listening to music and enjoying the ride. On the other hand people can argue they were being careless and reckless as well. To each his own you do what you want.

Any time I ride for a decent distance I listen to music to cancel the wind noise. As long as the music isn't cranked, you can here sirens and other important stuff.

I am actually looking into the Oneal Element Fastrack helmet for all of this. Will connect to a blue tooth phone, and eliminates the problem of wires. Listen to music, answer a phone call if need be, and can connect with other helmets up to 40 feet away I believe. It is only D.O.T approved, so if your a snell guy it isn't for you.

I use Rocketfish bluetooth headphones (I think it's just Best Buy's brand), and my iPhone, which sits in my handbars with velcro. They fit in my ear like earbuds, but I can still hear traffic well enough.

I don't imagine that you can use them with a full face helmet but they work great with the half helmet I wear.

Not trying to be too much of a dick here, but I don't see how hearing a car could help you in any way.

not necessarily listening for cars, but you DO need to be able to hear sirens and car horns at least.