Anyone interested in getting their CCW?

Casper

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just found a class for $100 for saturday. I'm an inpatient bastard and since I never leave home without it, I figured it best to get a move on.

If you're really impatient (or inpatient, or just can't wait) you could take a Utah class. Only 4 hours, no range qualification.

BUT, it'll take awhile (up to 90 days) for Utah to send you your license.

• 4 weeks later...
I have a question. a few of us were wondering about this, can you actually shoot someone or is it just a right to carry the damn thing?

everyone is saying you still can't actually use it.

If you're in rational fear of your life and can prove it, you can shoot someone.

I was talking to an officer where I live in Nashville and trying to gather some information on TN vs OH ccw laws. Specifically castle doctrine. My question to him was, If someone kicks in my door where I live can I shoot at first site? His response was, Well he's not there for coffee is he?

Thats just one situation, but long story shot, if it's justified you can shoot. I'm sure someone on here knows more than I do (that's the way this place is) so you'll get other answers.

I have a question. a few of us were wondering about this, can you actually shoot someone or is it just a right to carry the damn thing?

everyone is saying you still can't actually use it.

Is a license to carry a concealed fire arm, not a license to kill. You haver just as much right to protect yourself without it.

like what was said above, if you justifiably far for your life and have no other way out of the situation deadly force is permissible.

The CCW class gives you instruction on how to prey' date=' kill and properly dispose of undesirables in your neighborhood. Once obtained, the CHL functions like a driver license. The moar perps you kill, the moar points you get. The moar points you get, the moar prizes you can trade those points for. The webstore said my 1987 Sierra Classic was shipped last Thursday. I'm very excited...[/quote']

Oooo Nice! Post up pics when it arrives!

I'd really like to get on this...but I don't have a pea-shooter. Oh well, there will be other chances.

I've got a question...if I remember right, if you're transporting a firearm in your vehicle you're suppose to have it stored in the trunk, right, with the ammo in the glove compartment? How does that work with the CCW? Also, what's the rules on carrying while riding? Don't beat me up, I'm new at this.

No CHL = unloaded and locked away. (this includes magazines/speedloaders)

CHL = no need to have anything unloaded' date=' but weapon must be holstered, on your person or inside a compartment that latches closed or in a zipped bag, purse, backpack, etc.

The rules for the car are the same for the bike.[/quote']

Minor correction. Must be in a compartment/container that latches/zips if that is in plain sight (ie backpack on front seat)

It must be in a locked container if that container is not in plain sight (ie in a lockbox underneath your seat)

No CHL = unloaded and locked away. (this includes magazines/speedloaders)

CHL = no need to have anything unloaded' date=' but weapon must be holstered, on your person or inside a compartment that latches closed or in a zipped bag, purse, backpack, etc.

The rules for the car are the same for the bike.[/quote']

For clarification: without a CHL a magazine that is separated from the gun, if that mag is loaded it is a loaded firearm.

Minor correction. Must be in a compartment/container that latches/zips if that is in plain sight (ie backpack on front seat)

It must be in a locked container if that container is not in plain sight (ie in a lockbox underneath your seat)

I never understood that. Why does it need to be locked if it is out of sight but can be unlocked when it is visible?

For clarification: without a CHL a magazine that is separated from the gun, if that mag is loaded it is a loaded firearm.

I never understood that. Why does it need to be locked if it is out of sight but can be unlocked when it is visible?

Because thats the way the wrote the law. When it originally passed, it was worded to discourage carry in the car under the guise of officer safety, this is a vast improvement.

• 3 months later...
I know there have been a few groups from here who've done their training with this guy:

Chief Tim Bostic Retired

Mechanicsburg Police

18 N. Main St

Mechanicsburg, OH 43044

buckeyeguy142@yahoo.com

937-215-4770

Basic 12 hour Course for $65

Carie and I are going to get ours. I figured I'd post up and see if anyone was interested in going also. I just emailed him asking what his schedule is like. If there's enough interest on here, maybe we can get another class of just OR folks.

Is this still a valid deal?

You'd have to call Tim and ask him, but I am positive he is still doing the classes and I believe the price is still the same. My wife, her parents, and a few of my friends are going to Tim May 7th for the CCW class. If you want to wait that long I can add you to the list. I am still waiting to hear back from Tim to make sure he can use the range that day. It's an outdoor range and they want to do the class when it is a little warmer outside. I believe he requires at least 10 people to do a class, or you can add in to one of the currently scheduled classes if he has room. Best to call him.

You do know you can take the class early and wait until you hit 21 to get your license. One of the guys I went with when I did mine said he wanted to bring his 20 year old son but didn't think he was able to. The instructor said he could have come and got his license when he turned 21. I'd call and check on it but I'm pretty sure you can do it early and then get your license after wards.