Ohio Fall Adventure Tour - Oct. 3, 2010.

swingset

Hopefully just in time for the spectacular fall colors in East-Central Ohio, a grand tour of some of this area's most scenic and seldom-traveled back roads and highways! The date for this ride is Sunday, Oct. 3.

This is a tour that is geared for Adventure bikes, but certainly not limited to them!

The route I have prepared is 176 miles of every kind of road this area has to offer, from sweeping 2-digit state routes, to twisties, gentle paved farm roads and a lot of great gravel and dirt...from groomed and fast to mild jeep trails along some of the prettiest farmland in the state. Truly an Adventure ride!

DETAILS!

The ride will take off from my place around 10am, after a short meeting. I live just north of Granville Ohio (35 miles east of Columbus). From there, head east through Licking, Knox & Coshocton Counties. At the mid-way point, we'll stop for BBQ at The Depot in scenic Dresden Ohio. After lunch, some more great roads winding back here to the start...or you're free to peel off before if it's convenient.

The ride is big-bike friendly, I've done every bit of it 2-up on my Vstrom with mild DS tires, and unless it rains furiously the night before the roads should be easily doable. There are a few roads which are rough, ruts and a bit of washouts and loose rocks...but not gnarly or technical at all, dry they're a breeze but if you're skeered of that kind of thing, be forewarned. There are a couple of small water crossings, seldom running in the late fall but ankle-deep if so (see the pics below). About as gnarly as the roads are look like this, and these sections are short probably only 1/20th of the ride:

BBA_Teaser_1.jpg

All bikes are welcome, all sizes shapes & colors...1 up, 2-up, side-cars and ape-hangers! (kidding about the monkey-bars, I'm not leading you if you sport those). If you are comfortable on the above roads, I encourage you to come!

The ride should last approx. 7 hours including stops & lunch, I've done it in 6 taking my time.

If you would like to come Saturday and camp-out, I have 44 acres of woods, a camping area, a fire-ring and plenty of firewood. I welcome you to join me, and I'll fire up the grill. The same goes for Sunday, if you'd like to camp after the ride, you are welcome to.

I may ride Saturday too, but a shorter "warmup" loop if there's interest. There are also trails on the property if you have a light bike, but they're challenging for a big bike, you have mad skillz if you can get a Strom through them.

So, here's the deal...if you're interested in coming please send me an email or PM and I will reply with directions & address. dada01@yahoo.com

If you have any questions, ask 'em here and I'll be glad to answer them.

Just a few teaser pics from some of the roads...

BBA_Teaser_2.jpg

BBA_Teaser_3.jpg

BBA_Teaser_4.jpg

BBA_Teaser_5.jpg

• Upvote 1

What kind of tires do you guys have on your stroms? I have a capable bike, but currently running sport touring tires and a "not so" long travel suspension.

I've got Shinko 705's on now, but I have run all sorts of tires in the past on roads like these without any hassle.

One of the guys coming is on a Tiger with ST tires and had no problem on similar roads last weekend, and another guy did this whole route on a Ninja 250 without issue.

None of the roads are bad, and the two small road sections that are a little torn up are easy to do slow or careful if you wanna sort of "paddle" your way through them.

I want to do this, but I got a flat tire on Sunday. I plugged it, but there seems to be a slow leak! I ordered a new tire, but probably wont be here and installed in time. Not too keen on taking a brand new tire off road either. I think I may have to pass on this one.

I want to do this, but I got a flat tire on Sunday. I plugged it, but there seems to be a slow leak! I ordered a new tire, but probably wont be here and installed in time. Not too keen on taking a brand new tire off road either. I think I may have to pass on this one.

You could get some decent dirt tires thrown on there really quick just for the weekend. They're cheap.

You could get some decent dirt tires thrown on there really quick just for the weekend. They're cheap.

I actually thought about that. How cheap are we talking? A guy 1 mile down the road installs my tires for $25/tire (off bike). Same as Iron Pony I think, but much more convenient.

My tire sizes are 120/70-17 and 180/55-17 Z-Rated.

Edited by rhector

I can't find any dirt tires for the Tiger. They just don't exist in those sizes. The closest thing that would remotely help are the Pirelli Scorpion Sync's but I can't justify the money when they aren't needed right now. My new rear tire isn't being delivered till Monday. Have fun and be safe, perhaps I can make it next time.

I can't find any dirt tires for the Tiger. They just don't exist in those sizes. The closest thing that would remotely help are the Pirelli Scorpion Sync's but I can't justify the money when they aren't needed right now. My new rear tire isn't being delivered till Monday. Have fun and be safe, perhaps I can make it next time.

That's a bummer...do the Avon Distanzia's come in sizes that fit the newer Tiggers? I know a lot of guys run them that have 17" fronts on other big bikes, I had a set on my XRL and they did really well.

I was going to loan out my TTR250 to a buddy that was coming who's got an issue with his bike, but he hurt his back and can't come, so that's an option if you still wanna ride you're welcome to use it. Ain't fast or sexy, but it'll go on those dirt roads like a mofo!

I got a couple emails asking about the weather (looks like a 30%-40% chance of rain, cooler temps) and contingency for that.

Ok, so if the weather is crappy here's what I'm gonna do....ride anyway. Hey, it's an adventure ride right? Adventure doesn't wait until it's 70 and sunny.

99% of the roads are groomed with good drainage, no issues even if it's sloppy and the 1% can be evaluated and worked around if it's really crappy (which I don't think it will be). So, fear not folks it's a go no matter what mother nature throws at us.

But, I'm also going to lay out an offer to the fair weather riders (nice word for sissies).

biggrinjester.gif

On Sunday the 17th I'm going to lead another ride very similar to this one in length and types of roads...I've already got 90% of it laid out. It will start a little further south and make a loop near the Laurelville/Tar Hollow area. It's a great ride, with a lot of really cool unincorporated roads and back roads.

This was a ride I was going to go and do anyway for my own fun, but for a chance to see some nice colors on potentially a nicer day that's out there if you're waffling or afraid of a little rain & stuff. And, if you're really hardcore (like I am *cough*), you can ride both weekends. I'll post more details about that after Sunday.

If you don't make it out this weekend, because of that awful chance of some sprinkles don't worry the rest of us will mock and insult you in your absence.

hurray.gif

Well, I wasn't gonna mention it, but my makeup runs in a downpour and I get such a dour goth look.

Don't laugh at me, and we're cool.

You know, the lawn needs mowed, I need a haircut, maybe I won't make it this weekend. LOL