chevysoldier

What shotgun should I get?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What shotgun should I get?

• Rem. 870
    • Anything but a 870.
    • H & B

Whoa, this thread is back?

I was going to get a shotgun for home defense, but went revolver instead.

Have any of you shot a shotgun inside a home? I would think you'd lose your hearing permanantly, along with everyone else in your family. :eek:

Better lose my hearing for a while than my life. And I'd grab both the shotgun and the pistol. Unless you are shooting a .22 it's gonna be loud no matter what.

Kawi- Never shot a 500 but my understanding is it isn't much different from the 870. Keep your eyes open for deals, I got mine for $240.

You see that mofo on walking dead shoot the zombie inside the tank? I was surprised they played him being deaf for awhile after that, most movies they shoot and they still can hear eachother whispering to eachother which is unrealistic.

Lol after that part I looked at carrie and said he would be way.more fucked up than that lol

thanks chevy...im gonna swing by gander mountain today and see what kinda deals they have...i want a black 870 with a short and long barrel - for under 300...does that sound unrealistic?

I don't think you'll find a combo for that price but I've never really paid attention to the prices. 870 express with a single barrel normally runs about that price. I lucked out on my 870 with an 18.5" barrel, black synthetic for $240 after $30 rebate. Check out Vance's or Buckeye Outdoors. Buckeye Outdoors has a pretty good selection and is really nice. If you have the time, go to Cabela's in WV.

thanks chevy...im gonna swing by gander mountain today and see what kinda deals they have...i want a black 870 with a short and long barrel - for under 300...does that sound unrealistic?

get out of my head! thats exactly what I'm looking for as well for the same reasons

I don't think you'll find a combo for that price but I've never really paid attention to the prices. 870 express with a single barrel normally runs about that price. I lucked out on my 870 with an 18.5" barrel, black synthetic for $240 after $30 rebate. Check out Vance's or Buckeye Outdoors. Buckeye Outdoors has a pretty good selection and is really nice. If you have the time, go to Cabela's in WV.

vances and bo are so far...but ill post up what i see at gander mtn tonight and then maybe go to the others tomorrow...wont jump the gun until i find something for sure

i can always buy a shorter barrel later on

went to gander mtn and found a 26" remington 870, black for $329.99

went to vances and they had it listed for $299.99.

stood vances for 30mins and they had gone from #98 to #4....i was #16.

so i got tired and decided the $30 wasnt worth sitting there for hours then getting caught in rush hour.

Went back to gander and bought it, and they were nice enough to price match for me and I got it for $299.99... never bought a shotgun before so i asked the guy which slugs I would need for the barrel I have, and he showed me which choke tube I needed and which kind of slugs.

due to being broke - i only bought a small pack of slugs (5 or 6) and the choke tube

out the door i was around $350, i was satisfied with it.

ive got to mail in my $30 rebate now and then when that money comes in, I will get a cleaning kit for it....cant wait to shoot it

question though...

do i need a hunting license and tags to hunt on private property? was thinkin about goin out next week and huntin some deer at my girls house

if i do need license and tags, how much does that cost? and where would i get it done?

Check out Kawi Kid bringing back the Gravediggers thread from the dead! :D

question though...

do i need a hunting license and tags to hunt on private property? was thinkin about goin out next week and huntin some deer at my girls house

if i do need license and tags, how much does that cost? and where would i get it done?

Yes, you need a license and a tag. You can get them at any walmart, Gander, etc.

This is only 4 + 1 so that would give me 3 less shots.

If your concern with that statement is self defense I would respectfully suggest that after 5 shots the bad guy will have run away (if he does not have a gun) or shot you dead (if he does have a gun). Almost all self defense situations are 25 feet, or less. You won't miss with buckshot loaded.

Now, if you are worried about the coming Zombie Apocalypse then certainly you need more rounds in the gun.

• Upvote 1

went to gander mtn and found a 26" remington 870, black for $329.99

went to vances and they had it listed for $299.99.

stood vances for 30mins and they had gone from #98 to #4....i was #16.

so i got tired and decided the $30 wasnt worth sitting there for hours then getting caught in rush hour.

Went back to gander and bought it, and they were nice enough to price match for me and I got it for $299.99... never bought a shotgun before so i asked the guy which slugs I would need for the barrel I have, and he showed me which choke tube I needed and which kind of slugs.

due to being broke - i only bought a small pack of slugs (5 or 6) and the choke tube

out the door i was around $350, i was satisfied with it.

ive got to mail in my $30 rebate now and then when that money comes in, I will get a cleaning kit for it....cant wait to shoot it

question though...

That's cool they matched it for you. If it's your parent's property you don't need a license. Grandkids up to age 18 can also hunt on their gradparent's land w/o a license. Still need tags though. Check out http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/regulations/hunting.aspx

Most all the info you need is on that site.

Check out Kawi Kid bringing back the Gravediggers thread from the dead! :D

:lol: No shit.

If your concern with that statement is self defense I would respectfully suggest that after 5 shots the bad guy will have run away (if he does not have a gun) or shot you dead (if he does have a gun). Almost all self defense situations are 25 feet, or less. You won't miss with buckshot loaded.

Now, if you are worried about the coming Zombie Apocalypse then certainly you need more rounds in the gun.

Zombies, of course. But I find the saying "You fight with what you have in and on the gun" very true. Worst case scenarios do happen and I would like to be prepared.

Edited by chevysoldier
edited 16 to 18