Bike Cuts off when riding...

Jst2fst

Ok I took my bike out for a ride tonight and everything seemed to be going ok at first. My bike cut out on me once ok theist expected from a bike that has not been ran for a year or so. Get it started back again and it cuts out on me again and I have to coast into a parking lot. Spent ten minutes trying get it started back up it does and does it two more times on the way back home this time I;m stuck for twenty minutes.

Anyone have any clue as to why this could happen. The fuel tank;s full and the fuel valve is wide open. I can smell the fuel running and when I try and start it it putters. I got it started enough to get it back home. I'm gonna look at it tomorrow and see if something got loose or whatever. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

did you put stabil in your tank before it sat for a year or so?

not much point in getting it fixed now.. it's going to sit for another 4 months or so sooner rather than later. spend a small portion of your winter figuring out the problem... probably cleaning your carbs or something.

Sounds like bad ignition coils.

I had the coils checked they checked out fine. I mean the bike runs fine when its sitting idle in my garage. Its just when I took it on the street last night for the first time it was acting up. Once it gets going its fine its just when you slow down it acts up. I was riding it and it seemed ok nothing really to worry about. I thought that maybe the fuel was not going in the carbs fast enough I had the valve wide open.

I gonna ride it again today and see if it does it again or if it was just a fluke when I got back home last night it ran fine no problem.

I rode my bike to class today started fine and ran somewhat ok. I had to rev the engine to keep it from stalling out kept the rp's around 2-3,000. After class my battery was dead had to have it jumped. I tested the stator or alternator whatever you wish to call it. Heading back home I was pulling into our drive and Low-Sided the left side of the bike. I'm fine

i take it the stator tested good then ? the more you describe it the more it sounds like what my bike was doing.

Yea, It tested good. Volts were 12.5 with the bike off and 15.2 with the bike on. I don't know whats going on with this bike. If anyone is in the OSU Campus area and could help me please let me know

did you put stabil in your tank before it sat for a year or so?

not much point in getting it fixed now.. it's going to sit for another 4 months or so sooner rather than later. spend a small portion of your winter figuring out the problem... probably cleaning your carbs or something.

or just put some sea foam in it now to clean every thing out. For the winter put stabli

I had the coils checked they checked out fine. I mean the bike runs fine when its sitting idle in my garage. Its just when I took it on the street last night for the first time it was acting up. Once it gets going its fine its just when you slow down it acts up. I was riding it and it seemed ok nothing really to worry about. I thought that maybe the fuel was not going in the carbs fast enough I had the valve wide open.

I gonna ride it again today and see if it does it again or if it was just a fluke when I got back home last night it ran fine no problem.

see when it heats up if it acts up

I used Saefoam to help clean it out seemed to work. Also my roommate and I have taken the carbs off four times to clean them out as well. The bike seems fine once its warmed up. I noticed yesterday that you have to start the bike kinda leaning to the left side a bit. I might have to readjust the idle again as well its fluctuating between 1-3,000 rpm's at idle. Have to rev to keep it from dying on me when I'm stopped I kinda look like a douche bag doing it but I gotta do it.

have you checked the spark plugs? but it honestly sounds like the carbs, does it pop at all when slowing down, because they may be really out of tune.

The plugs in the bike are brand new replaced them like two weeks ago. Its possible that the carbs are out of sync. The bike pop's when its sitting idle bit a pop here and their. Never really thought about it I just thought it was burning of the crud from the engine.

Does it pop on decel after you rev it? If so then its probably running rich. Idling at 1K-3K is wayy too much fluctuation, its not an idle problem at that point.

After you clean/tune carbs you should sync them since they pretty much get stripped. Get them tuned and synced, you shouldn't have any more of these problems, they all sound like carb issues to me.

Yea, It tested good. Volts were 12.5 with the bike off and 15.2 with the bike on. I don't know whats going on with this bike. If anyone is in the OSU Campus area and could help me please let me know

That strikes me as odd. 15.2v seems awfully high to send to a battery that's used to 13v, or perhaps 14v with low amps. Sounds like it's electrical, I'm going to assume you're cleaned the carbs to the point that they have ceased to become a factor.

Where's the A/F screw at on the carbs? I know on the post-Kat's, there's a brass plug that needed to be drilled out in order to get to the A/F screw, then you can start all kinds of hell playing with that. Make absolutely sure that screw is back to stock.

The plugs in the bike are brand new replaced them like two weeks ago. Its possible that the carbs are out of sync. The bike pop's when its sitting idle bit a pop here and their. Never really thought about it I just thought it was burning of the crud from the engine.

When cleaning the carbs all 4 times, did you just spray carb cleaner in them, or did you verify that all of the little passages are clear?

That strikes me as odd. 15.2v seems awfully high to send to a battery that's used to 13v, or perhaps 14v with low amps. Sounds like it's electrical, I'm going to assume you're cleaned the carbs to the point that they have ceased to become a factor.

Where's the A/F screw at on the carbs? I know on the post-Kat's, there's a brass plug that needed to be drilled out in order to get to the A/F screw, then you can start all kinds of hell playing with that. Make absolutely sure that screw is back to stock.

Yea I know it looked high to me. I mean the volts spiked at 15.2 when its running and holds steady around 12.4-12.5 when its off. I guess I'll have to check the wires sometime today and see if their is a problem. It should be somewhere around 14 volts if I'm right.

Does it pop on decel after you rev it? If so then its probably running rich. Idling at 1K-3K is wayy too much fluctuation, its not an idle problem at that point.

After you clean/tune carbs you should sync them since they pretty much get stripped. Get them tuned and synced, you shouldn't have any more of these problems, they all sound like carb issues to me.

It pops when its sitting idle I have not really noticed it doing it when I ride it.

When cleaning the carbs all 4 times, did you just spray carb cleaner in them, or did you verify that all of the little passages are clear?

When the carbs were cleaned we took out the jets and idle jets and blew them out. Their was one idle jet that we could not get out because its was stripped. So I hit it with some carb cleaner until the liquid flowed through it. As well as hitting the entire interior of the carbs. Floats were cleaned as well.