Thoughts on a TL1000S?

scottie.harris

i know i dont need a big bike to ride fast, but a CBR600 will do over 150mph stock. And i bet more than 1/2 that track could beat me on a 1k, im looking to get into it, just not with a Katana.

As far as top speed i would like a bike that i dont really find it on a CSBA ride keeping up.

As far as back tracking there is a road way out in the middle of no-where, a place where a car might go by once every hour, and we have people block the roads off and if a bike is coming stop cars, but we wait if a car is going thru. We dont do what most idiots do and do 140mph around 270 columbus.

BTW i ride everyday, rain or shine. I do the speed limit 90% of the time, unless im in a group thats moving faster, so i dont ride like a jackass.

I think Todd cleared this one up pretty well. I know of a decent rider that hit triple digits to catch the lead group, only to find out that the lead group was hitting 80-ish MPH max.

When I ride the 250 on the CSBA rides, I'm usually behind the lead pack, and only get pushed back in the mid pack by the people that think they need to go 100+ in the straights. The 250 tops out around 95 with a good long straight stretch. In fact, I've been on more than one ride where 600's and faster hold me up, because they have too much pride to let a smaller bike go by them in the straights, which ruins the fun for me, because I have to follow their slow asses through the curves that they're afraid to take at a speed above a crawl. I know I'm not a very good rider, I've been riding 2 seasons now, and I have a LOT to learn before I move up to something that will do triple digits with ease.

bad 324, i know i just want a bike that doesnt hit the top speed easy.

plus i run at 5500 rpm on the freeway, when it redlines at 11k rpm. i feel like im running the crap out of it. better top speed i would assume it would ride at less stress levels

My 250 runs around 7k at 60 mph. I have no reservations taking it on a couple hundred mile slab-fest in the rain, running 70-80 the whole way, to West Virginia and back. At 80 it's hitting around 10k.

but when i ride the kat at that rpm it feels like im running the crap out of it and dont like doing that. you also are running 75-80, 5500 is me running 65. 80mph my bikes 3000rpm from redline in 6th

The bike is DESIGNED to run at the rpms that you're seeing, unless the gearing is changed by more than a tooth or 2. But, you're going to school to be an engineer, so you can figure out what the optimum RPM is for your bike, factoring in longevity, emissions, etc...

YZF, Yamaha's answer to the Katana. ;)

Better bike though yes.

:lol: Looks like you need to dump the Katana wannbe Nightrider!

:lol: This has nothing to do with the YZF or me, but i'll get to that. He was commenting that he wanted a faster bike to keep up in the CSBA rides. Hence, for HIM stepping up to a big boy bike. As stated before and there's no doubt you know this....better riders can do great things with many if not all bikes.

I think any modern 600...that isn't a kat would suit him just fine.

As far as the YZF goes....wut? Sure, it's not a gsxr a cbr or an r6...but was alot of fun. May not have 120,130,140+ hp but didn't seem to bother me. Was able to have spirited rides and reach out and touch pavement if i wanted too. It did everything i wanted/needed to do more than fine. I would take it over a kat any day of the week. Performance aside or not.

I find a way to upgrade every other year or so. I'll break into the 00's next year.

You were essentially calling the Katana a girls bike and lame. You're riding a bike that is extremely old technology - not much different than the Katana. The point to my post was simple - you calling his bike a chicks bike when you are on a bike that isn't much better. Slightly ahead, but barely... FZR technology... If this were 11 years ago, you'd be king and he'd be just a click behind.

I just find it funny that a guy calls a bike a pile and is on a bike that could easily fall into the same category.

In the end, I don't give two shits what bike you like or dislike. If you like the bike you are on, that's totally the way it should be. I've seen guys race the Katana in the 90s and freaking clean up. I've also watched a handful of guys succeed on a YZF600. Not as many as it was a tough bike to go fast against that series of years of bikes it competed against. But, there were some...

Sure, it would be great to own the newest generation sportbike and change every model year, but at the end of the day, if anyone thinks they are above and beyond the bike they ride, I suspect they aren't.

Buy a bike that may be better suited for whatever the application. If you want a CBR vs a Katana for track use, cool. Just say you are ready to step up and buy something newer and be done with it. But, as it has gone, your mouth is getting the better of you. You are acting like you are well beyond anything on two wheels and need something fast to suit you.

Trust me when I say this - if you think you are beyond the bike you own, let's take you and let you run 10 laps on it. As hard as you can. Then, we get a guy that we choose to run 10 laps on your bike also. My bet is that we can get a guy that can run faster than you on the same bike. The bottom line is that you can still learn no matter how much you feel you already know. Ability makes a rider. Not the bike.

You were essentially calling the Katana a girls bike and lame. You're riding a bike that is extremely old technology - not much different than the Katana. The point to my post was simple - you calling his bike a chicks bike when you are on a bike that isn't much better. Slightly ahead, but barely... FZR technology... If this were 11 years ago, you'd be king and he'd be just a click behind.

I just find it funny that a guy calls a bike a pile and is on a bike that could easily fall into the same category.

Have you seen t Kat that he rides? It's lowered, and I think from what MT is saying the tires aren't particularly the grippiest out there.

Scottie, we're not bashing you to be mean, or to hold you back, or pick on you. With the way you're talking, and the way I've seen you ride, a bigger bike will probably get you hurt, and nobody wants that to happen. Not only does it suck for the one that gets hurt, but it also makes the sportbike community look like a bunch of idiots that don't know how to ride.

When John or myself lead we almost always stay right around 75ish, any bike will do that. We just dont slow down for the corner.

:wafflehouse:

I just wanted to put that icon up, because I love the waffle too. That said, that statement is spot on. Most sweepers can take 75mph, no brake checks before hand. I rode with some locals on the Cherehola Skyway, and literally flew through it after learning that insight from them. It's amazing what consistent throttle and an even approach can do.

I actually read everything, some things twice. As did most others. Maybe you're not very good at expressing your thoughts? Either way I read every word you said and commented on what you said and a bigger bike is not the answer. I take my 400cc dirt bike with street tires on these rides with the 1000's and to the track with no prob "keeping up" . You will become a far better rider with more cash in your pocket if you raise your Katana back to stock height and set it right then do track days on it before going for the bigger badder bike. Hell man I just got the F4 a few weeks ago for that reason, its a far better track bike than my 1000. I love track days with a passion but hate doing then on a 1000.

@Scottie.H: If you're not crazy about the RPM you're turning on the highway, you could +1 the front sprocket and/or -1 the rear sprocket, that would lower your engine speed by +/- 500 RPM, give or take, at any given MPH.

I've heard, and believe, that "it's more fun to ride a 'slow' bike fast than a 'fast' bike slow".

just my $0.022 worth.

yea thats probably it, its hard for me to say what i want thru text. ive been riding for 3 years and have raced thru the ama. Im not a "noobie" to the extreme. i also want fuel injection, something that i would love to have is another 600 like a cbr or gsxr. im not looking for a power monster. it seemed like the tl1000s was about as fast as a 600 inline 4 according to youtube and specs.

Then why not look at a 01-05 F4I. They can be had for $1500ish and less. Fuel injected and a highly capable bike. That being said you've told me about your dirt bike racing before and that is a whole different ball game than the street. My daughter was an AMA racer when she was 6years old that doesnt mean anything.

no its the F4I's that they think is gold, and the cheaper ones for like 2k are trashed. Question is who would trade it for a katana? I got some unique stuff on the kat though, wired a cig lighter port+ usb port with a switch on the bike then ran a radar detector thru that :) its pretty cool.

think the guy down the streets interested in trades???

no its the F4I's that they think is gold, and the cheaper ones for like 2k are trashed. Question is who would trade it for a katana? I got some unique stuff on the kat though, wired a cig lighter port+ usb port with a switch on the bike then ran a radar detector thru that :) its pretty cool.

think the guy down the streets interested in trades???

Hell its got a cig lighter port should be easy to sell then. I would put it back to stock height get better tires and ride the shit out of it.