Saturday

Hutch

where did he go down at?

About .8 from 78, blind left after a long, long straight. We were not slowing down to normal group pace for the straights so braking into corners was happening, something not normal to group rides. What little bit he was behind I'm sure he was making up for it by letting the big 14 do its work. I would imagine he was heading into the corner faster than all of us and it stayed blind longer than he expected so he went to 1st gear and let the clutch out. He slipped the rear, low sided, the bike went under the guardrail and he luckily went over the guardrail down the bank. This is why the bike had damage on both sides.

Edited by Uncle Punk

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I meant to post this sooner but didn't get around to it.

I crossed the double yellow on this ride so for the second time in about five years I feel like I crashed. The first time was on 536 a few years ago and now this ride. We all make mistakes and hopefully learn from them. I hadn't ridden in a long time this summer and looked in my mirrors to see where everyone was at which is something I never do for this very reason. The road went downhill and to the right and I wasn't prepared for it. Luckily I could see the whole curve and the road was clear on the other side. I might have been able to save it if there were a vehicle traveling the other direction but I gave up on it when I saw it was clear.

Be careful out there guys; you can get bit at anytime and if you are pushing the pace, pay attention.

I crossed the double yellow on this ride so for the second time in about five years I feel like I crashed. The first time was on 536 a few years ago and now this ride. We all make mistakes and hopefully learn from them. I hadn't ridden in a long time this summer and looked in my mirrors to see where everyone was at which is something I never do for this very reason. The road went downhill and to the right and I wasn't prepared for it. Luckily I could see the whole curve and the road was clear on the other side. I might have been able to save it if there were a vehicle traveling the other direction but I gave up on it when I saw it was clear.

Be careful out there guys; you can get bit at anytime and if you are pushing the pace, pay attention.

A similar instance threw me over the line on one of the group rides I was on, I think it was on 60.

There were 2 times this season I have been really close to losing it, that was one (consider it that I did, seeing that I crossed the line) and once on the way home from a ride, on a mundane road, headed out of town, I wasn't paying attention and almost bit the back of a CR-V that was stopping to make a left turn, waiting on opposing traffic to pass.

Anything less than 100% of you attention to your riding can kill you in an instant.

Yea and we were pushing a little.

We were pushing and I was being selfish since it had been so long since I had ridden that I wasn't riding by normal group riding pace. If we had been slowing down like normal between curves the guy on the 14 might not have gone down. I trusted you guys to ride within your limits and probably should have changed how we were riding with a new guy or gone out on my own.

Have you heard from him or do you know how to contact him. I wonder how he is doing.

Not your concern UP. He knew going in it would be aggressive.

A 14 would not be my first (or second...or third) choice for that type of ride, but I sure as heck wouldn't stop someone from riding one. If he's a good rider, or aspires to be, he won't make that mistake again.

The 14 doesn't have a slipper clutch??? Or was he going from 140 to 80 in .5 seconds?