ODOT 2009 Motorcycle Crash Info

ReconRat

Since I was on the ODOT website looking for traffic light vs motorcycle information, I thought I'd throw this out there.

Newly released 2009 Motorcycle Crash Information. (11/1/2010)

All stats are down for the year, mostly rolling back to the 2005 levels. Be sure to check out the pdf maps on your county, as well as the counties you like to ride in.

edit: oh, and if anyone cares, OR has 2.35% of all registered riders in Ohio (2009).

Edited by ReconRat
data
  • Upvote 1

Call up the SE .pdf and look at the accidents and fatalities....given that the SE is where a LOT of riding goes on. Pretty apparent that being in Columbus traffic is hazardous to your health.

All goes back to Hurt....cages turning into you and failure to negotiate turns does us in. Eliminate tangling with a mess of cages and you've effectively doubled your chances. Take a few track days, and you're way ahead of the bell curve IMHO.

I'd like to see the overlay with alcohol involved, no helmets, and suspended or no licenses...would be even more revealing, I'd bet.

Wow the percent of the motorcycle rider being at fault is interesting.

We complain about the drivers out there, yet the overwhelming percent of the motorcycle being at fault proves different, by the reports.

By these reports and studies we are our own worst enemies, and have no argument at all against automobile drivers and such being our main danger, it is ourselves!

I really thought the numbers would be different myself, at least a closer margin anyway.

That is some good information, thank you for posting, it certainly proved my thoughts to be wrong, I still remain a skeptic though on how accurate the accidents were reported and filed though.

If I really think about it I have just as many people pull out in front of me, or have as many near misses in my Jeep as I do on my motorcycle, maybe even more.

It just seems more dramatic when I have it happen on the motorcycle.

As a matter of fact my Daughter and myself just had a car come around a curve in our lane and almost clip us on SR97 just outside of Butler this past Friday in the Jeep, I mentioned to her this happens quite often when I ride these very same roads on my motorcycle, and she needs to be aware of this, and know how to handle a situation like that before she experiences riding and driving herself on the roadways, she is 14.

One of the problems with these statistics, are that they aren't adjusted for the number of registered riders in any given area. This basically means that an area with a lot of registered riders will have higher numbers in all categories.

Previous looks at numbers from various sources, showed that 80% of all motorcycle accidents are split almost evenly between having a car turn or move in front of you, and simply running off the road all on your own. So that's 40% rider fault right there, not counting anything else.

So it's one part defensive avoidance, and one part road skill = learned to survive.

edit: I think OSHP sets fault on motorcycles for road speed. If it's over the limit, the bike tends to get blamed.

Edited by ReconRat

I have lost count of the number of accidents I have seen on the back roads the last seven years but at a minimum there have been at least a fifteen. All rider error, no tickets or law enforcement involved. The one that did involve OHP wasn’t issued a ticket because the officer stated that road conditions caused the accident. (Gravel.) This was the last rider out of about ten riders through the curve who was fucking around because he thought I was leading too slowly through a congested area. He got a pass as far as I’m concerned because it was rider error; don’t get me wrong I’m glad he wasn’t ticketed. I have little faith in the value of these published numbers or what misguided laws could result from them.

Interesting reading.I found it interesting that most of the good S.E.O. roads were not listed as high accident rate areas.The roads I'm referring to are like...255,260,536,78,147,376,377,678?.The only ones I noticed as flagged as high rate roads were 555,26 and several in the Hoching Hills areas.

Of course,this is a good thing,maybe it will keep these roads off of the L.E.O.s enforcement targets

Also...I wish they had more details on causation factors,I'd love to know how many accidents are caused by ODOT's pratice of lining roads with fine gravel.

I wonder what bike has the most wrecks or fatalitys between sportbikes or cruisers.

Some national numbers from the last few years, pointed to a really large increase in accidents from bikes with very large engine displacement. Something like over 1200cc or 1300cc. That sort of narrows it down a little bit. Literally, if those large displacement bikes are factored out, the statistical numbers in general have probably been declining for the smaller displacement bikes. Those that are 1000cc or less.

Edited by ReconRat