End of GM 3.8l motor

scottie.harris

Ok i drive a Buick Regal with the 3.8 V6 Series II motor in it, absolutly love it. Loved it so much that i was considering to buy a new buick. However i noticed after looking into the new buicks that have 4 bangers in them, i was disapointed to say the least.

I understand that the economy is down and gas is expensive, but they couldnt make it at least an option? They've had the 3.8 in the Grand Nationals, thats how long that i know of that they've had them out. At least the 05-09 Lacrosse's still look good and have the 3.8

Exactly, they were great motors. It was a very popular motor, it was in the monte carlos, impalas, v6 camaros, gran prix( GTP sc as well), buick regals, and many others. I didnt even know they had it back in the mid 70's.

Heck it made it thru my girlfriends driving so it must be something special, and my "highschool hotrod" days. I beat my friend in his Iroc Z28 with it, and several eclipses. Now i drive it like im 60 years old(no joke). Ive been thinking about turning this car into a GN tribute, all black and possibly try to turbo the engine. or just buy a GS(supercharged).

If you have ever wanted to turbo the 3.8L they can make insane horsepower with enough money. A stock GN could push 450 plus with the right chip and the turbo turned way up, injectors and such. After that you are starting to look at stage II heads and block girdles with lots of billet parts inside. There are people pushing over 800hp from that motor. There is still debate about one guy getting 1000+ from a GN. If you look up Chris Chow Grand national. It smokes the wheels on the dyno and still puts down 1077HP. Most people claim that was after he switched to a v-8 motor but I have never seen a definitive answer or pictures of the car with the hood up.

I just continue to bow down to GNX awesomeness. :bow:

+1

what i dont understand is why they switched the 3800 to a supercharger unlike the old 3.8 with a turbo?

As far as the trannys go, i heard from many reviews that they are great, one of the best shifting for auto any way.

Trans start coming apart at 300 whp in stock form

I had a '78 Sunbird with the 231ci engine, it had a 4 speed behind it. I bought for like 500 bucks , ran the wheels off of it. The car gave up not the engine I sold the car for 500 because when the turbo Regals came out they were hard on engines and a local guy had one with a blown engine and wanted mine. He slapped down 500 and never batted an eye because at that time the salvage yards had waiting lists for the 3.8's.

There are some really nice "DIY" upgrades you can do for the electronics on those! Running the Syclone/Typhoon computer, and code base (has to be changed around a bit, but it's out there) LSx coils (with eDist to make them work) Newer, larger, MAF, intercoller and plenum work, and on and on. Unfortunately, one of the "pioneers" in modifying the GMECM stuff, that had a GN project on-going, passed away a few years ago. I've been out of the loop since then.

I must have my red white and blue blinders on, because I just don't see this...

the only one i know of and have an experience with to validate this claim is the 2JZ in the Supra's but I believe thats an Inline 6

Try Nissans VQ series.:bow: Honda, Toyota and Nissan all have V-6 motors that make 300 or more HP without forced induction.:p

ehh personally the VQ isn't much to write home about unless you throw a turbo at it. I had one and by no means was it terrible but just seemed like an average V6 to me

ehh personally the VQ isn't much to write home about unless you throw a turbo at it. I had one and by no means was it terrible but just seemed like an average V6 to me
I tried the 370Z and loved the sounds it made.:)