need gift advice for adopt a family

John

ok every year we do this adopt a family kinda thing, where we buy christmas presents for impoverished/inner city families. they list things that they need (clothing/shoes/household items etc) and also some stuff that they just want (toys for younger kids etc).

so this year my tag says 'boots - 16 yr old boy'.

the only other thing i know is that the kid is black, so here is my dilemma...

should i get some timbs or get something else? now clearly, i know that all black people dont wear timbs, and i know the kid will be grateful to get any boots at all, but at the same time i want to get him something he will actually like.

so what say you OR?

0054392.jpg

because a 32" isnt big enough.

any more advice about the boots anyone?

lol. Actually I don't think it would really matter. As long as they are the right size, maybe a size bigger and are neutral looking, they won't care. Nothing flashy and something that is comfy and will last.

What John said... 32" is for the ultra-poor, I'm lower-middle. B*tch.

I've been buying/wearing steel-toed boots for the last 3 or 4 years, and if it were my own money, I really liked the Sears brand (but I think they've discontinued the boots I liked) and I liked the pair of Dickies I got off amazon.com.

Then again, I'm a penny-pincher, so I've never had the pleasure of wearing something like Timbs. I like the Wolverines boots I have now, but I didn't pay for them.

I'm a Vans' date=' Chucks and Docs kind of guy. Not your ideal fashion choices for youngsters these days.[/quote']

me too, but the hipsters have really brought back the chucks. thats why they sell for like 50 dollars at macys now... :rolleyes: stupid hipster skinny jean wearing garbage.

and no, i was joking about her getting the tv tag lol.

well see ever since the recession hit, waves of new people are suddenly broke. These people have no idea how to live without money. They’re what’s called ‘new poor.’

I'm old poor. I know how to be poor. I dont flaunt it in your face.

Link requested. :nono:

I can't find the link to the big screen now' date=' but here's some where you get the general gist.

To be fair though, I suppose a lot of these items are on the kids' wishlists (I dunno if the form they fill out says "Go ahead, shoot for the moon"). I have mixed feelings about stuff like this. Some are due to unfortunate events, but others I can't help but think the people are responsible for putting themselves in those positions (with all those kids) -- not the kids' fault their parent(s) are irresponsible. Either way, all the stories are typically sad and tragic.

[url']http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/article/20101128/NEWS01/11280327/Brighten-a-Christmas-Case-No-4-Mom-trying-to-take-care-of-3-kids

Of course, the rest of society doesn't get credit for being responsible. The rest are told to count our blessings and to feel some shame that they're more successful than the less fortunate. And that guilt/shame for taking responsibility for your own path through life -- bothers me. It reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjDujNjULf4

"Pardon me MR PERFECT! I forgot you never make mistakes" -- It's that thinking bothers me a little bit. Shame the others for mistakes you've made. :rolleyes:

Edited by JRMMiii