Looking to buy a glock

BeastieSSSC

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so after reading around a few through google, the xd and the glock are both polymer while the 1911 is the shiznizz?

For $500 you can get a reliable, accurate, Springfield, M&P, or Glock.... or a mediocre 1911. Maybe I'm being a gun snob, but a cheap 1911 would be a questionable choice. A good 1911 will cost $800+. Just my opinion. That being written, I've sold all of my Glocks and XDs, but still have my Colt.

Ninja Edit... Ok, so I've been obsessing for nearly a month on that dumb ass statement about the $800 1911. So I've been searching and investigating and have found many prominent manufacturers making sub-$800 1911s... all of which I would stake my life on... Smith and Wesson has several offerings, Taurus, Springfield, Kimber, and even Colts can be had new for less than $800.

Edited by C-bus
Clarifying a poorly-written post

For $500 you can get a reliable, accurate, Springfield, M&P, or Glock.... or a mediocre 1911. Maybe I'm being a gun snob, but a cheap 1911 would be a questionable choice. A good 1911 will cost $800+. Just my opinion. That being written, I've sold all of my Glocks and XDs, but still have my Colt.

The Springfield GI 1911 is a great piece for the price. It was my first handgun and was one of the most accurate that I have ever fired.

PLUS, you can mod them up to whatever you like...

Before

100_0871.jpg

After

IMG_0354.jpg

The Springfield GI 1911 is a great piece for the price. It was my first handgun and was one of the most accurate that I have ever fired.

PLUS, you can mod them up to whatever you like...

Before

100_0871.jpg

After

IMG_0354.jpg

Most definately your best sub-$800 option. Actually, as I typed the above, I was remembering reading about the Springfield GI being a good choice.

I added the extended grip and the combat hammer as well. I'll get to the trigger at some point, but it shoots well as is.

GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=0de7233a-08bd-11e0-99f2-00237de41800&Aux=4|0|8CD6AE0F4F01020||0|0|0|0||&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att

Edited by C-bus

i need to definitely shoot the 1911 as well as this springfield xd. I like the idea of cheaper practicing with the 9mm, but personally, i love the feeling of power you feel when holding the .45. Either or i need to make a trip out to vance's, hope your down shrinkwrap

We can go to Vances some time next week before I have to go to work. Next time I take my babies out I will let you play with them. PS I don't think anyone on here knows that nickname

Stalked lol

:Dyep, joys of facebook

• 4 weeks later...

The 1911 is more accurate, but you aren't trying to drive nails, you want to defend yourself. There are pros and cons to both.

Of course you need to get something your comfortable with. Some people can't handle that the GLOCK doesn't have a 'real' safety like the 1911 will. Also, the grip angle feels awkward to some and they have a problem getting used to it.

I wouldn't make a buying decision based on justs what you read any where especially on the internet. I would go rent a bunch of them and start shooting. Give yourself enough time in each to adjust.

Unless your goal is target shooting then the 1911 is the easy choice. :) The Springfield mentioned or a Kimber are on my list of ones to pick up.

I'm a Glock guy and I will agree the "pointability" could be improved. That issue for me is unnoticeable in the new Springfield XD. I was surprised at how natural my eyes lined up with the sights. This was a .45 as well. Take a look at it of possible. It will be my next handgun purchase.

(in 9mm though)

ive been on the kimber website for awhile checking out all their 1911s, im quiet impressed. A buddy at work told me to look at the gi, couldnt find a better gun for the price. My other close decision is this colt xse combat elite or the xse rail gun. moreless i need a 5" barrel with white dot sights and the cool 3 hole trigger

...I wouldn't make a buying decision based on justs what you read any where especially on the internet. I would go rent a bunch of them and start shooting. Give yourself enough time in each to adjust.

Very good advice.

At least one range (Blackwing) will not rent a gun to you if you are by yourself and didn't bring any guns with you.

I'll be at Blackwing tomorrow around 10:30 - if you want you can try my XD9, Kimber, or LCR .357