Trailer Building 101....

Jst2fst

OK, so I need a trailer for a trip this summer from Cincinnati to Seattle. It has to haul two bikes minimum and is going to be towed behind my car yes I said car not truck not SUV. I've been looking at trailers and found one at HFT that's the right size for the bikes and one that my car can handle. I already have a hitch picked out and it works for what I need it to do. I just need help with the trailer.

I've checked the specks for what my car can pull and it can pull 1000 pounds for sure possibly 1200 pounds not sure on that number yet. Bikes and trailer weigh around 1000 pounds. What I'm needing help with is I want to put electric brakes on the trailer to help assist in stopping has anyone her done this or know someone who has.

I'll have links to the trailer and breaking system posted below. I have no idea which company is the best for trailer brakes. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Trailer from Harbor Freight Tools:

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/trailer-trailer-accessories/1265-lb-capacity-5-ft-8-1-4-quarter-inch-x-3-ft-9-1-4-quarter-inch-heavy-duty-trailer-with-ramp-92174.html

Trailer Drums RH & LH:

http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trailer_Hubs_and_Drums-sf-Hub_with_Integrated_Drum-sz-4_on_4_Inch-hs-7_x_1~3|4_Inch_Drum.aspx

Trailer Brakes RH & LH:

http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trailer_Brakes-pc-7_x_1~1|4_Inch.aspx

Edited by Jst2fst
Spell Check...

You might be better off putting the hitch on the Katana and towing the Accord.

:lol:

attempted rep, but must spread the love around first...:nono:

At OP: Maybe rent a cargo van? Would probably be about the same $$ as buying a trailer and upgrading brakes, plus not sure an Accord towing bikes across the country and back is the best idea.

At OP: Maybe rent a cargo van? Would probably be about the same $$ as buying a trailer and upgrading brakes, plus not sure an Accord towing bikes across the country and back is the best idea.

Especially if it has an auto transmission!

my buddy towed a single bike trailer with his manual early 2000's accord.. and it did just fine.. but when we tried to do 2 bikes.. even though the weight was fine on the trailer and the car was supposed to be able to handle it.. it just was to much weight back there to be stable or keep any steady speed.... even worse ont he highway with crosswinds.. the trailer with bikes was much more of a sail than the car and pulled the back end around a lot... and upgrading the brakes wont help with that... you would have to get anti swaybars aswell and thats just way to much work.. to deal with for the accord...

Believe me using my car to tow a trailer was my last option that I did not want to do. I tried to see how much it would be to rent an suv or small truck its insane. I'm going to be staying in Seattle for like three weeks and renting a vehicle just didn't make sense. Because of my age I'm 23 I get charged what's called an underage fee which adds like an additional $450-$550 a week on top of the $500 rental charge including mileage and fuel. So to spend around $3000 for three weeks just for the vehicle no way I'll upgrade what need to be done on my car to handle toe added strain.

I've looked into every option even shipping the bikes but that's just the same no including if I take a plane or drive. If I ship them it's not guaranteed that they will be their when I need them.

So driving round trip is the most logical way in my case.

Can I get some input on the trailer idea besides the vehicle that's being used?

meaning its to much strain on the transmision thats not built for towing 1000 lbs around for thousands of miles

I have no other viable options that will work. Anyone that I know with a truck is in Seattle that would let me borrow it to haul a trailer. This is not something that I've taken and put on the back burner. I've got some time to make sure things are in order before we head out.

Nothing, jporter doesn't know what he's talking about. Having an auto transmission is about as important as putting gas in your car instead of diesel. They're both fuel -- it doesn't matter.

Gotcha

Honda automatics are known for their lack of durability.

Mine's doing fine I would not even consider doing this if I did not think it would make it that far. Plus my car would be sitting 80% of the time anyway.

I think I would just go without a bike for the few weeks you will be there, unless you can find someone to loan (maybe for a small fee) you a vehicle that will handle the bikes and trailer better.

Can't do that the point of the trip is to go riding with my buddies. I can't trust myself with someone's truck if something were to happen.

Maybe rent a small u-haul and a tow dolly? Bikes in the truck, car on the tow dolly. Then rent the same setup to get back home.

U-Haul charges by the mile .99 a mile Cincy to Seattle roughly around 2400 miles one way. Thats $2,376 for one way with the truck plus a one way rental fee which I have no idea what it is. I know I'm sounding foolish by doing this but like I said this is the only way that works out to be the cheapest and something that I can handle for the cost.

Can I get some input on the trailer idea besides the vehicle that's being used?

Actually, no. The trailer part is simple, and it sounds like you have it figured out. You might shop around a bit for a better price, since you're getting close to the cost of the trailer added on to it, after you add brake controller, wiring, etc...

The only reason we're cautioning your choice to pull the trailer with the car is experience. Since you're pretty well set on using the car, take it easy, don't try to break the speed record to get there, don't try to keep up with traffic on hills, etc...

I don't think you need brakes on the trailer. We drove from CA to OH with my BMW, Z1000, scooter, and other junk with no problem. We have a Subaru wagon though. If you mount the wheel chocks towards the rear of the trailer, that will reduce the weight on the hitch. You should have no problem pulling one bike, two might be an issue. What size engine do you have in your car?

Actually, no. The trailer part is simple, and it sounds like you have it figured out. You might shop around a bit for a better price, since you're getting close to the cost of the trailer added on to it, after you add brake controller, wiring, etc...

The only reason we're cautioning your choice to pull the trailer with the car is experience. Since you're pretty well set on using the car, take it easy, don't try to break the speed record to get there, don't try to keep up with traffic on hills, etc...

I appreciate the concern for safety, and I'm glad that people are voicing their opinion on this. Hopefully my buddy and I can get there in two days or less. I'm trying to take safety head on by putting brakes on the trailer to help with going down hills and stopping. This trip is not until late June early July I've got six months to think this over and tweak some things around to they work correctly.

I don't think you need brakes on the trailer. We drove from CA to OH with my BMW, Z1000, scooter, and other junk with no problem. We have a Subaru wagon though. If you mount the wheel chocks towards the rear of the trailer, that will reduce the weight on the hitch. You should have no problem pulling one bike, two might be an issue. What size engine do you have in your car?

It's got a 2.3 I4 160 hp 150ft/lbs torque. The bikes we are looking to have with us are a GSXR-750 and a GSXR-1000 if I'm right on the weight the bikes should weigh around 900lbs combined.