Trailer Building 101....

Jst2fst

Your wasting your money with trailer brakes for the little amount of weight you're going to haul. I don't think i've ever seen trailer brakes on a 100-250# bike trailer. Most important would be loading the trailer correctly. Slap some bearing buddies on that little red trailer and call it good.

Edited by Gump

you aren't getting much feedback on the trailer because people are trying to save you a boatload of money and hassles with the car

I figured as much when I started the thread. I figured that this would happen. It's more feedback than I expected though which is great. I've got some time to iron out the details before the trip comes. At least I know I have more to work on than I had originally planed on.

Your wasting your money with trailer brakes for the little amount of weight you're going to haul. I don't think i've ever seen trailer brakes on a 100-250# bike trailer. Most important would be loading the trailer correctly.

I thought the same thing but I'd rather have them and not need them then not have then and need them. Its like car insurance better to have than not.

It's got a 2.3 I4 160 hp 150ft/lbs torque. The bikes we are looking to have with us are a GSXR-750 and a GSXR-1000 if I'm right on the weight the bikes should weigh around 900lbs combined.

If your car can use a class 2 hitch and you can get a lightweight trailer, I'd say you can do it. Our top speed was 70mph, 30mph when going up the CO mountains. Good luck.

I thought the same thing but I'd rather have them and not need them then not have then and need them. Its like car insurance better to have than not.

You're adding 30#'s of brakes to a 115# trailer. I have never ever seen a tiny trailer like that with brakes. (because they don't need them) The brake actuator and controller would have to be really really sensitive or it will lock up a lot.

What your hauling is like having 3 over weight passengers in the car.

One thing about the trailer:

I'd look for larger diameter rims - like 14" as a minimum. Those little 12" puppies are gonna be spinning like bitch on that long of a trip. 14" will ride better, too.

At least take some lube with you and grease them once or twice on the way.

I want to see if the 4 cylinder can make it

Might. Want to put 1/2 inch plywood over that flexy mesh trailer

I know how this ends because I've seen it done with a friends car. Against several of us telling him not to tow about 1800lbs 1200 miles with a 4 cylinder civic. Take a wild guess who had to buy a new trans and rear suspension half way to his destination and then have to rent a truck to complete the trip

I appreciate the concern for safety, and I'm glad that people are voicing their opinion on this. Hopefully my buddy and I can get there in two days or less.

- Did a trip in an overloaded Civic - Dayton to Phoenix - it took two 16hr days and one 14 hr days and we were moving faster than the speed limit. I think C'bus to Seatle would be a longer trip.

- If someone told me I had to do your trip with the Accord, I would probly find a tuner car Honda speed shop and see if they could add a tranny cooler.

Good luck dude.

First a little background on my town experience.

Growing up we had big campers and boats we towed and I used to tow my jetski with my grand am.

Ive driven box trucks with trailers and up to semis when I worked for the moving companies

Ive towed a ton of large equipment when I worked construction from everything from a standard truck to a dumptruck

I can tell you from experience that towing a 2 bike trailer with your accord is not the best idea and here are just a few problems your going to have.

First, your going to use so much extra gas you may as well just pay the extra renters fee. You are going to be amazed at how much gas that little accord will drink towing. Renting truck/van and extra fee will be cheaper.

Wind on the road will make it unstable and towing it at higway speeds it will most likely sway back and forth pretty bad especially if you load it wrong. Once it starts to sway, its going to cause you some really dangerous situations in that little light weight honda. This is going to be compounded by the fact that you will be so close to max load on the trailer.

Im guessing, (just a guess) but you are going to be way over loaded for tongue weight once you get that trailer loaded and will risk effing up your car bad if you hit the wrong bump. By effing up your car i mean ripping the hitch clean off.

You seem to be looking at hubs for 2K axles and I would almost bet they dont fit those 1200lb axles on that harbor freight trailer.

And if you do decide against all the advice given here, at least pay attention to the comments about bearing buddies, larger tires, and taking a grease gun with you. Oh and get the highest AAA package you can find because you will most likely need it.

Also if you do do it, I would sugest taking the bikes and trailer all loaded up down through southern ohio or eastern ohio hills to see what your in for before trying to head west.

You are getting in way over your head.

Edited by flounder

also keep in mind that the total weight you can pull is usually based on one driver at 150lbs with no other load. So unless you and your buddy are about 75lbs each and you have no other luggage for your 3 week trip, you'll be maxing your load limit. As flounder and many others have said, it's not the braking, it's the sway you'll need to worry about.

Also load distribution is very important. too much in the front and you'll over stress your shocks. To far back and you'll end up raising the back end up and lose traction/control. rule of thumb is usually 60%-70% of the weight should be upfront. the 14" radial tires will help as well.

If you can't borrow a truck, I'd say +1 on a couple people's suggestion on riding your bikes out. Pack lightweight, a tent or cheap hotels, plus the AMA roadside assistance plan, you'll be a lot better off. Long distance trips are not bad if planned well (the right luggage, preplanned stopping points, etc). honestly, i'd rather do your trip on 2 wheels versus your other option. It'd actually probably be more enjoyable, just add an extra day of travel time each way.

GL man.

Edited by mojocho

step 1 buy a chevy astro

step 2 load bikes

step 3 drive to seattle

or

step 1 remove vagina

step 2 install penis

step 3 ride the bikes there

Cheap astros are all over the list of craig...and you have 6 months to find one. The amount you would spend on the trailer and all of the accessories for it along with the upgrades your car will need before, during, and after the trip would be pretty close to what you could pick up a decent astro for.

You are better off renting a small SUV from AVIS or similar for the trip out and back. Abuse their stuff and allow them to take the punishment that trip is going to put on a vehicle.

There isn't a need for trailer brakes and you saying it is worth it vs not to have them is wasting money that could be spent on a rental.

That trailer is a pile of shit also. You are better off searching CL for a used double rail and getting a better quality trailer for less or equal value. HF is great for quick band aid stuff, but if you are traveling 30 plus hours one way, it ain't up to the task. If it does well enough, it isn't going to be worth squat after...

I also suspect that on a 3 day drive, you are going to be packing heavy and with at least one other person. That essentially means that you are WELL beyond the GVWR which isn't doing the tray any favors. Positioning the weight correctly will help, but you are still hammering that car and that's where the issues will come in.

If you don't value your vehicle or aren't planning on keeping it long after, go for it. Otherwise, the end result with the repairs you'll likely have to go and have done, you could take that money and invest in a proper trailer and a proper vehicle to tow it with...

I don't believe that the HF trailer has an 2000lb axel...think it is smaller and I don't believe that any of those hub/drums will fit. Usually don't find brakes on anything smaller than 2k..... my covered trailer has dual 3.5 k axels and they have the brakes on all four wheels.

I was in your same situation last year except I needed one to get to track days. By the time u add more people, luggage, supplies and all that stuff u will be well over your weight limit. I personally sold my car and turned around and bought 1k dollar dodge Dakota with a v8 and pocketed the rest of the money. Still driving it til this day. If it's possible for u that would be your best route assuming u don't owe money on a 10 year old car. Plus u have plenty of time to find something reliable. I didn check out the links but I use one of the folding 4x8 hf trailers but I put 2 pieces of 3/4 inch plywood as the floor so it was still somewhat foldable. Installed a removable wheel chocks, some d rings and bearing buddies and on the road I went. No trailer brakes or anything needed.

OK, so after talking with my buddy all this morning and afternoon we've decided to ditch the trailer idea after rethinking the idea over again. Like I mentioned the previous idea was a last resort that would only be used if necessary. Ran a couple of ideas like having the bikes shipped but that would of around $700 one way was the most I've seen so far for each bike then fly out an meet the bike out there. Lets face it we don't have money like that to do it.

So were just gonna have to pony up the money to rent a Chevy 3500 HD truck from Enterprise its a diesel so hopefully this will help with the cost of fuel seeing how they do better on fuel. Called and got a quote; quote is cheaper than shipping both bikes combined and plane tickets.

Just gonna haul them in the bed to Seattle, also were not gonna try and and make it there in two days more like three days stopping in St. Louis, Denver and Utah both ways staying in Seattle for a week not three. By stopping in St. Louis, Denver and Utah we'll get a two week vacation with travel time included. Ended up cutting trip short by a week to help save on cost. This is an idea that we were both happy with and one that won't leave us stranded somewhere broken down.

What's the total cost of renting the truck?

I actually really think buying a shitty Astro or Ford E150 was a great idea. It'll probably cost the same as renting a vehicle, except you can SELL IT when you get back...

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/2130779444.html ($1200/obo). Offer $1000 and sell it quickly for $800 when you get back. You're there and back for less than the cost of a 2-bike trailer...

I actually really think buying a shitty Astro or Ford E150 was a great idea. It'll probably cost the same as renting a vehicle, except you can SELL IT when you get back...

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/2130779444.html ($1200/obo). Offer $1000 and sell it quickly for $800 when you get back. You're there and back for less than the cost of a 2-bike trailer...

Until the POS blows up in Iowa. Although, you have plenty of time to get one and get it up to snuf. I like this idea. Not sure if 2 bikes will fit in an astro. Better ask Yota.

Is it not possible to ride out? 3 days you could make it. Maybe buy something a little more comfortable

We plan on partying in each city we stop for the night we would have too much crap to carry on bikes. That was the original idea before we wanted to trailer or haul the bikes out. As far as the bikes go were pretty much set on the Gixxer's .

As of now were looking at about between $1100-$1300 for the truck for the two weeks that's including mileage and fuel and hotel stay for three days heading to and from Seattle. Fuel is where were getting killed on so far were estimating diesel to be at the most around $4.50/gal ish not exactly sure though. Enterprise said the fuel mileage was 35mpg. With $400 one way we'd get about 3100 miles if the truck does get 35mph the same go for the return trip. But Seattle is only 2400 miles so were over miles on fuel by like a 700 miles. Were over budgeting everything to make sure we have enough money. Fuel is over budgeted by like $200 round trip.

I'm not buying anymore cars from Craigslist the last vehicle I bought the guy said it was mechanically sound and then they tranny blew...:nono: