Open Carry and CCW Question

Jst2fst

I'm all for it it also but dont you think you become the bad guy's first target if the S_H_T_F ? Hence my question for why open carry? I know we "do it because we can" but just because "you can" doesn't mean its the smartest way to do it....Not trying to start a debate because like I said, I'm all in...Just my point of view on the subject.

Hard to tell. I'm not a bad guy, but as a pussy, I'd go for the guy who isn't going to shoot me.:dunno:

Yes, like everyone had said. You CAN open carry a firearm even if you have a CHL. Many people only get their CHL's because you must have a CHL to carry a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle, or on a bike. A lot of the instructors are given bad information. I don't know for sure if this is on purpose or by accident but your type of story happens all the time.

Thanks Chevy, I just wanted to clear the air. Is their a reason as to why ine instructors are not educated as much as they should be and or giving false info on open carry situations. Seems like they would do everything to protect your right to bear arms.

I'm all for it it also but dont you think you become the bad guy's first target if the S_H_T_F ? Hence my question for why open carry? I know we "do it because we can" but just because "you can" doesn't mean its the smartest way to do it....Not trying to start a debate because like I said, I'm all in...Just my point of view on the subject.

Say you were a bad guy. You were given a choice of two people to rob. One had a gun on his hip, the other didn't. Which would you rob?

Granted the bad guy that is hopped up on drugs probably won't care if you have a gun or not. But most bad guys don't want to die for money or a TV. How many people try to rob/vandalize a police station or a gun store?

Hard to tell. I'm not a bad guy, but as a pussy, I'd go for the guy who isn't going to shoot me.:dunno:

So if you were the bad guy and were up to no good, you would let the threat (the good guy that obviously can fight back that is open carrying) stay standing and go for the guy that isnt first? God forbid the situation ever comes up, I'd just prefer to keep the "ace in the hole"

Say you were a bad guy. You were given a choice of two people to rob. One had a gun on his hip, the other didn't. Which would you rob?

Granted the bad guy that is hopped up on drugs probably won't care if you have a gun or not. But most bad guys don't want to die for money or a TV. How many people try to rob/vandalize a police station or a gun store?

I'd shoot the guy open carrying, empty his pockets, and make sure he had his gun in his hand before I called the cops.

Of course none of that matters. You can't pull a gun fast enough to defend yourself most of the time anyway. People who rely on their gun as first line of defense are only kidding themselves.

In agreement with you there. I'm probably giving the "dirtbag-bad guy" too much credit but I'd still feel like the 1st target with it hanging on my hip providing he's coming into the situation with equally as much bang as myself.

Other than being a smart-ass, I have little to offer to this thread. I would get bloody defending the right to OC but choose CC as my personal preference.

Well put....

I'd shoot the guy open carrying, empty his pockets, and make sure he had his gun in his hand before I called the cops.

Of course none of that matters. You can't pull a gun fast enough to defend yourself most of the time anyway. People who rely on their gun as first line of defense are only kidding themselves.

In agreement with you there. I'm probably giving the "dirtbag-bad guy" too much credit but I'd still feel like the 1st target with it hanging on my hip providing he's coming into the situation with equally as much bang as myself.

Sure, that is very likely. But then again, most all the stories I have read and researched and first person accounts tend to lean the other way. Most bad guys don't want any confrontation. Quick, easy and get outta dodge mentality.

I've never been attacked while wearing silk boxers. I may start wearing them more often.

Gold ones? KK can help you out with where to get some, I hear. :dunno:

Sure, that is very likely. But then again, most all the stories I have read and researched and first person accounts tend to lean the other way. Most bad guys don't want any confrontation. Quick, easy and get outta dodge mentality.

This. Criminals don't want things to get messy. The longer the situation takes to get out of, the more likely they are to get busted. If a criminal doesn't know this, they're not going to have a very long criminal career!

All that fancy researching you whipper snappers do these days must come with some of that handy citation.

All that fancy researching you whipper snappers do these days must come with some of that handy citation.

Look at how the world really works, not what we think makes sense in our heads. For most people to say "I'd shoot the guy with the gun first" is the normal response. But criminals don't tend to think like that. They want the money or whatever and want to get out. Would you be willing to die trying to steal some lady's purse if she had a gun? Would you die trying to rob the 7/11 if there was a guy standing with a gun next to you? How many people have become a target because they were open carrying? I can think of one.

Look at how the world really works, not what we think makes sense in our heads. For most people to say "I'd shoot the guy with the gun first" is the normal response. But criminals don't tend to think like that. They want the money or whatever and want to get out. Would you be willing to die trying to steal some lady's purse if she had a gun? Would you die trying to rob the 7/11 if there was a guy standing with a gun next to you? How many people have become a target because they were open carrying? I can think of one.

You asked a question around a ridiculous hypothetical so I answered it as such. Except for the second part of my response of course.

What if Barney Fife was on patrol? What if...

Correlation does not...

say you come out of the bathroom at a gas station and its being robbed....and your carrying....say you shoot the robber---then what? you go to jail?

i plan to get my ccw just so I can throw my guns & ammo in the front of my vehicle when I go somewhere. Ohio's gun laws are loopy.

say you come out of the bathroom at a gas station and its being robbed....and your carrying....say you shoot the robber---then what? you go to jail?

i plan to get my ccw just so I can throw my guns & ammo in the front of my vehicle when I go somewhere. Ohio's gun laws are loopy.

If my life is in danger yes.