First track day questions...

Mykill

Ok I am planning on doing several track days this year. I have not done any before so...

Where is a good place to go for my first?

Do a lot of you do back to back days? I'm leaning toward this.

Why is there such a cost difference between mid o amd some of the STT amd moto series tracks? Some a good amount cheaper so I was thinking of doing more of these.

What do you do between sessions?

How far in advance so I need schedule the days?

Any other info would be helpful. I have pages through most the threads and read the track day prep thing.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is a good place to go for my first?

Anywhere with STT, Midohio, or FastTrax/Motoseries - all have very structured novice programs. If you're confident NESBA will turn you loose on a green track and keep an eye on you, will provide 1-on-1 if you ask for it or look like you really need it.

Do a lot of you do back to back days? I'm leaning toward this.

No. My fitness sucks and financially I'd rather do a day every two weeks than a weekend every month. Of course I already know the tracks and don't travel far.

Why is there such a cost difference between mid o amd some of the STT amd moto series tracks? Some a good amount cheaper so I was thinking of doing more of these.

Mostly track rental pricing and a little less to do with the organization itself.

What do you do between sessions?

Relax, rehydrate, eat something, BS with friends and pit-neighbors. If you are in a structured novice group you'll spend half the time in a classroom.

How far in advance so I need schedule the days?

Generally two weeks to avoid late fees and possible sellout. With the economy and whatnot mid-to-late season last year it seemed most of the dates still had openings day of.

Any other info would be helpful. I have pages through most the threads and read the track day prep thing.

Don't be afraid to ask anyone around you any questions you may have, pretty much everyone there likes to talk about this stuff, and will help you out with anything as long as there not about to get on a bike and head out.

Mid Ohio will be your closest track but don't be afraid to venture out and do some other tracks. There are many good tracks in a few hours of Columbus. Each track will teach you something new, and the staff will be different in what they offer.

Make sure to listen to what you are instructed on in your novice classroom session as you will learn a lot in your first couple days.

As far as preparing for the day itself, do yourself a favor and don't wait till the last minute to register or get your bike ready. Most orgs charge a fee if you wait until within 15 days of the date to register, so do your best to register before then. Also do your best to have your bike ready to go the week before the event so you aren't running around at the last minute trying to put everything together.

If you have any other questions in general or about one of the orgs let me know.

any of the track day orgs are great. if you would like more instruction, I'd recommend doing the novice group with Motoseries, Mid Ohio PTR or STT. Mid Ohio is probably closest to you, but Nelsons Ledges (motoseries), Beave Run (Motoseries, Nesba and others), and Putnam (STT, not sure if NESBA is doing any) are not too far either.

I'd recommend going with at least one person who has done one or more track days so they can kind of ease you into each step, but by no mean do you NEED to go with some one. But more than likely, somebody on here or other forums will be at that track day and most are nice enough to help you out.

The back to back days are great, especially at challenging tracks like mid ohio and Grattan and others because it gives you more time to get acquainted with the track. even more beneficial for a track noob for the same reasons.

Cost seems to be due to... well, capitalism. this is america, son.

that and because some tracks simply can charge more (mid ohio, for instance) due to being internationally/nationally recognized and/or the number of events they hold, facilities, and also depends on who is running the track day. there are pluses and minuses to each. Just try them all lol

While you're in novice, after your session is up, you'll have class. you'll go over lines, form, braking, throttle, etc etc etc. they're usually structured something like: advanced group (20 min on track) Intermediate (20 min on track) and Novice (20 min) on track. After the novice session, you'll have class for 20 min, and then "screw around" time for 20 min, then you're back on track. When you're in intermediate or adv. you'll pretty much prep and/or screw around for 40 minutes then get back on track. There are other formats, but you won't need to know about those til later.

for scheduling, you want to schedule as far in advanced as you need to. some tracks, like mid ohio are pretty awful in rain, so a lot of people will wait for the 5 day forecast to schedule a day there. other tracks (nelsons ledges, beave run) are still pretty grippy, so you can usually get by. The other thing to consider is that many track day orgs have a sort of "early bird discount" and "last minute sign up charge". usually, about 1-2 weeks in advance, you'll get the lower price. Some don't. there are special events, too. like, last year, we had the ohio riders day at gingerman for like $100, or the nesba event at putnam for $250 for the weekend... you just had to sign up early.

the biggest thing about track days is: don't go in with an ego but at the same time, don't lose heart. whether you're a great, fast street rider that can outrun the police helicopter, or a high street stunting douche, or just plain a noob... the novice days will teach you something. and you always learn something new at a track day. there is always someone faster and slower than you, so don't get a big head if you dropped a couple seconds on your lap time, or you are the king of intermediate group, or if people are flying by you at the speed of sound. nobody cares, everyone is there to improve, and everyone is there to have fun. and for fucks sake, don't crash and then pick your bike up in the middle of the session, and run out into the middle of the back straight at mid ohio. people don't like that for some reason (lulululz).

if you are set on doing one, apologize ahead of time to your significant other, parents, accountants, etc. you will be amazed at how quickly you go from "oh, i just want to try it to improve my riding, and be safer" to "OMFG, I have to go to my parents funeral? but that's mother fucking Beave Run weekend. Fuck this, time to cremate. who's got a lighter? I can buy 10 sets of XXX tires for what I can save on that funeral."

basic RECOMMENDED prep for novice (you can check actual requirements on respective sites):

2 pc leathers that zip together (1pc is even bettererer)

good full face helmet

gauntlet style race gloves

race boots that go past mid shin

some sort of under suit or liner or similar to under armor for top and bottom (it will make getting leathers on and off much MUCH faster. and keep you cooler)

adult diapers, for the OH SHIT moments (best if you don't have any of those, but shit happens)

tape up your headlights, mirrors (usually easier to remove mirrors), blinkers, tail lights. I recommend disconnecting the head and tail lights so you don't distract other riders cause you can still see the lights despite the tape. remove plates, and i would remove passenger pegs if it's easy (in case of crashes, it's one less thing to tangle you and other guy up).

take a cooler full of ice and dranks (allow me to recommend purple drank), extra clothes, sleeping bag if you're camping, snacks (concessions food is expensive), 5 gallon jug of gas, showering supplies unless you enjoy overnight swamp ass, cash, and whatever trailer stuff you need. if you have spare hardware that is often damaged in a crash, take it (levers, rearsets). take duct tape, painters tape, RTV silicone, and a towel. never forget your towel.

heroin and women are probably cheaper as addictions go, but track days/racing is moar fun.

finally, learn to use search, you fucking noob. why did i just type all that out? FUCK

Great responses guys. I appreciate it. Im just going to whore this thread with anything that comes to my mind and anyone else please contribute. I am pretty excited and have been piecing better gear together just need the suit which may have to be custom.

Does anyone travel together to the farther tracks to keep the costs down?

Im looking at Nelson as often as I can because it is pretty reasonable just need a way to get there. Putnam and Beave look good too and not too far.

Great responses guys. I appreciate it. Im just going to whore this thread with anything that comes to my mind and anyone else please contribute. I am pretty excited and have been piecing better gear together just need the suit which may have to be custom.

Im looking at Nelson as often as I can because it is pretty reasonable just need a way to get there. Putnam and Beave look good too and not too far.

Yes.. I have a group I go with, and many others go in groups... feel free to come along.. Nelson is cheap because nelsons track SUCKS.. However It can be fun if you are with the right people and you know it sucks going into it..the surface is AWFUL! Mid O is one of my favorite tracks ever, so I don't mind paying $200 for a track day. Putnam is a blast as well. Beave Run is something not too far that is great, and so is Grattan. I live off of Polaris and will be heading to Florida in March to get out of this weather. If interested PM me..

But yes, you will be hooked. I will probably do 4 Mid O dates. 3 Putnam dates. 2 Grattan, 1 or 2 Nelson, 1 or 2 Beave Run. and maybe a couple more down south.

A lot of us do go in groups, its a lot more fun that way : ). Your deff welcome to come hangout w/ us and learn. Hope to see you out @ a track very soon. And likke andy said, we are going to jennings in march : ) just saying

I usually end up driving to nelsons and beaver by myself since no one near me goes but I meet up with people there. As for grattan, autobahn, and probably putnam this year I will have people go with me to split gas. Plus Jbot gives great handies with those little asian hands.

+1 gingerman is awful.

My dad just called me and wants to book Barber.. That track is sick.

I respectfully disagree about Ging. I honestly liked the track and had no problems getting around it. I would go to Ging again before going to Nelsons. I don't mind the seams as much as an entirely bumpy track.

+1 gingerman is awful.

My dad just called me and wants to book Barber.. That track is sick.

I don't listen to other people due to over exaggeration. Are there bumps, yes, is it as bad as everyone says, no not if you run the right part of the track.

And what do you think happens when you get pushed off that line because Johnny Rocket Racer who should be in A group runs up the inside of you?

I'll give you a hint.... B U M P S. The real question is how wide is the "good" line?

Damn kids...I swear I will set your new grill on fire!

And what do you think happens when you get pushed off that line because Johnny Rocket Racer who should be in A group runs up the inside of you?

I'll give you a hint.... B U M P S. The real question is how wide is the "good" line?

Damn kids...I swear I will set your new grill on fire!

Sounds like your ass needs to go faster so people don't stuff ya.

It wider than you think, I have been pushed wide, it's not like there is a single bike width line around the track.

It's all relative. If you go to Nelson first, the bumps won't bother you. Then, when you go to Beaverun, you'll think you've died and gone to heaven. Then after you ride Midohio, you'll bitch about the bumps wide on some of the exits at Beaverun. Then after your ass is thoroughly spoiled you'll bitch about the bump at the carousel exit at Midohio, and maybe even pick up on that weird thing going on at the apex of (what I call) 8.