First track day questions...

Mykill

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't listen to other people due to over exaggeration. Are there bumps, yes, is it as bad as everyone says, no not if you run the right part of the track.

I feel it is a great layout and one can have a decent time if they slow the pace down.

Edited by Desmo-Brian

Brian...I wasn't trying to turn this into anything. I was just giving Craig (Blue) a hard time. I will have to go there this year because if I don't him and Jinu (jbot) will be bugging me forever.

Just wanted to throw that out there before someone's efeelings get hurt.

:D

If you run a 1:09 and lower or have - it isn't a safe track. Runoff is worse than anything.

I don't disagree, and I think racing there requires some amount of ignoring the lack of run-off, but...

1) at a trackday, there's no reason to force a pass. People can be idiots and make bonehead moves, but that can happen at any track.

2) you and Gixxie750 are probably the only two people on this board who come close to getting near 1:09 at Nelson.

For someone in their first season of trackdays, it would be a hell of an accomplishment to get down to 1:15's at Nelson...

PS - Brian, were you at the IMS this weekend? Saw the RC at the booth.

Yes, I was there Sunday. I was technically there Friday when I dropped it off also...

I wasn't directing the Nelson response your way. Everyones way as the track isn't this magical thing that has a line that isn't rough. The exact thin line works, but the last I checked, you don't ride single file...:D

I don't disagree, and I think racing there requires some amount of ignoring the lack of run-off, but...

1) at a trackday, there's no reason to force a pass. People can be idiots and make bonehead moves, but that can happen at any track.

2) you and Gixxie750 are probably the only two people on this board who come close to getting near 1:09 at Nelson.

For someone in their first season of trackdays, it would be a hell of an accomplishment to get down to 1:15's at Nelson...

I don't agree at all. You aren't out there to be in Novice class running like little Duckings in a row. You want to pass and getting off that little single line can cause some grief to under experienced riders...

I am saying that 1:09s are a start and honestly, I have no idea what I'd run nowadays. We got into low 8s when I was racing there in 2003. I'd suspect that 7s-8s would be still my speed... Nothing near what Wrobel and guys like Gaige do...

I am saying that 1:09s are a start and honestly, I have no idea what I'd run nowadays. We got into low 8s when I was racing there in 2003. I'd suspect that 7s-8s would be still my speed... Nothing near what Wrobel and guys like Gaige do...

Gaige, Wrobel, and Grey were donig 1:07's-1:08's

Gaige, Wrobel, and Grey were donig 1:07's-1:08's

Yup... Probably in the 08s then if I focused hard enough. Put it this way - I think I could hit a fast lap, but to string them together and do it consistently, no way...

Plus, I think a 600 might be a better weapon at that track... Dunno... Maybe we will see by end of the year. It's going to take some time to shake cobwebs off...

If the Spanish Inquisition were to sponsor a racetrack, it'd be Nelsons

Err...so I've heard.

I hope to hit as many tracks this season as possible, especially Beaverun thanks to r1crusher's gushing about it. Barber or VIR was a pipe dream until catching up with an old Corps buddy who owns the sportbike rental outfit that was at IMS. We're working on getting to either of those tracks this year. :D Hopefully. Weaning myself more and more off the street every year.

trying to get back on track.....My best piece of advice is get in shape. I had no idea how much of a physical toll a track day put on me until the third or fourth session. If youve never done one i would highly suggest doing one day at a time because it would suck to be worn out on day two and not ride. Or even worse been worn out and not wanna waste your money and ride anyways and make critical mistakes that can affect you or other riders. The best thing i ever did for my riding so far wasn't tires, exhausts, or go fast parts but getting myself into shape.

There's no sense in argueing what so ever. Redkow loves nelson hands down, he's always has and always will imply that its a good track

If that's how it comes across, then I'll have to dial it back a bit - I don't "love" nelson; in fact I didn't ride there once last year.

I think it's worth riding a couple of times a season, and it's undeniably cheap (for a reason). That's the primary appeal, and frankly, probably the only reason it's still open.

the run-off areas in some turns are far from ideal, and the surface makes that more of a risk than it might be at other tracks - but almost every track has some place where you can say, "man, I really wish..." and then cite some safety concern.

Being aware of those places allows you to dial it back a bit there.

If that's how it comes across, then I'll have to dial it back a bit - I don't "love" nelson; in fact I didn't ride there once last year.

I think it's worth riding a couple of times a season, and it's undeniably cheap (for a reason). That's the primary appeal, and frankly, probably the only reason it's still open.

the run-off areas in some turns are far from ideal, and the surface makes that more of a risk than it might be at other tracks - but almost every track has some place where you can say, "man, I really wish..." and then cite some safety concern.

Being aware of those places allows you to dial it back a bit there.

Nelson is cheap, it is cool enough to try out and it is certainly cheap.

Edited by Desmo-Brian

I'm glad to see we are all allowed to have an opinion.

And if you would look back to the "not as bad as people say" quote it was directed towards the bumps.

Not everyone that goes into the grass ends up crashing there, yes there are ruts but I have seen people run off and get back on track.

I'm not trying to turn this into some sort of pissing match, I just feel that people should make their own decision on a place. Hell I kept hearing how bad the place was, I finally went for myself in 2009. It's nice for me because it's close and I can race there and not have to spend a ton of money trying to stay competitive