Need Help

Bluezx6r

Hey everyone, long time no talk. Lol

Anyways, I got my bike out for the first time yesterday and tried to start it and it was dead :( well after 20 mins of trying to push start it by myself I decided to jump it with my car.... little did I know that car should not have been running..... well I ran it for 30 mins and put it away thinking it would be ok. Come back today and it wont start. Called iron pony they said I may have blown up the regulator and another part that I can't remember... they want 78 bucks just too look at it.. what do you guys think?

New battery

This ^

Buy a $50 battery from wal mart, fill and charge properly, then install. Inspect and replace fuses. Try to start...

If successful, monitor battery voltage after rides to make sure the charging system is still functioning.

Edited by magley64

This ^

Buy a $50 battery from wal mart, fill and charge properly, then install. Inspect and replace fuses. Try to start...

If successful, monitor battery voltage after rides to make sure the charging system is still functioning.

Fill? I've never had to fill any battery. Do you buy the build your own kit for $50?

Fill? I've never had to fill any battery. Do you buy the build your own kit for $50?

I had to fill my motorbike battery when I got it... It was a row of white plastic bottles that line up with the holes on top of the battery and you pour them all at the same time.

Look about halfway down this page:

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/battery/index.htm

There's a difference between being cheap, and being value-based consumer. I'd buy a $70 battery if it'll last three times as long as a $40 one.

One thing you can't buy -- class. Sorry Porter. :D

I'm actually surprised that the cheap, sub $40 battery I put in my $500 bike is still doing well! I have been pretty tough on it, back when I got the bike and had problems, I would crank it until it was dead, then use a jump pack!

What appears to be the OE AGM battery in the Ninja is holding up well, too. That thing is TINY! I think my laptop battery might be bigger than it, comparing dimensions! :lol:

And class? You should know all about that, since you have tried to buy some, but still have none! :)

There's a difference between being cheap, and being value-based consumer. I'd buy a $70 battery if it'll last three times as long as a $40 one.

One thing you can't buy -- class. Sorry Porter. :D

it MIGHT last 3 times as long. it might not, but for the extra $17 per year, I'm happy to be running a brand spanking new battery.

Hey everyone, long time no talk. Lol

Anyways, I got my bike out for the first time yesterday and tried to start it and it was dead :( well after 20 mins of trying to push start it by myself I decided to jump it with my car.... little did I know that car should not have been running..... well I ran it for 30 mins and put it away thinking it would be ok. Come back today and it wont start. Called iron pony they said I may have blown up the regulator and another part that I can't remember... they want 78 bucks just too look at it.. what do you guys think?

I think Iron Pony figured you were a sucker with cash to burn.

A car battery puts out 12 to 14 volts, which is within the range of your motorcycle battery and charging system. With the car running, it was moving through its charge/discharge cycle. Nothing crazy, and nothing that should/would have fried your regulator unless there was already something wrong with it. Like it had a screwdriver through it.

Check the fuses, and all the relays to see if anything did get fried (look for scorching, bubbling, black goo, etc) You can even get crazy and check the resistance on all the wires if you want.

Start with a battery, charge it properly, and go from there.

Well after 4 hours I finally got the battery out. Lmao. I put it on the battery tester and it was weak but good.... so I guess ill check the fuses. But its not looking good...

there aren't enough swear words in existance for removing the battery on a 636 for the first time. I was sooooo pissed when I had to remove mine when I first bought it

I didnt see any details about anything it would probably help people who are trying to help.

-You jumped your bike to a running car batt

-Now bike wont start

Do you hear your fuel pump and starter solenoid click when you put the key in? Do any gauge lights turn on when you put the key in and turn?

You battery may be ok. Hook it up to a trickle charger and see if it can hold a charge, if it holds your battery is good. Its definitely cheaper then just assuming your battery is dead. Volt meter is priceless in this situation.

Honestly, its possible you may have fried the ecu. But it could be your starter solenoids and relay also.

edit: battery should read 12.8V across the terminals.

Edited by ohdaho