New DL650 or Used C14?

Scruit

So, I'm looking to add a new scoot to the garage. I currently have a 2004 Volusia 800 which was my first bike, bought it with 2 miles on the odo. I've put about 6k on it. Always had a ton of fun with it, but I'm outgrowing it. Also, the "Finance Department" has authorized a new bike if I pay cash, so about $8k is hard limit.

My problem is that I got the Volusia for weekend cruising. My needs have changed, and now I'm looking for a mix of 90% commuting and 10% highway touring. The Volusia is OK with the commute but is only barely tolerable on long rides because it's been farkled like mad. I did a 16 hour day late last year up through MI-Canada-NY-PA and it was an eye-opening experience.

I've done a bunch of reading on the C14 ABS and the DL650 ABS and I'm having trouble deciding between the two. Of course I'm comparing a new wee verus a used Concours.

I've already done tons of research, but I was hoping you could tell me if I'm making the right choice...

I'm going with the Wee.

My commute is all country roads and then riverside drive into Dublin. No freeway. I am still a novice on the bike (I may be too harsh on myself, but only 6k miles over 7 years on the bike I still feel like a n00b) and I'm not into stunting or anything of that nature, so I really don't need the epic power of the C14. I have never found the limits on my Volusia (except for acceleration but only becuase it is VERY limited) so I doubt I'd get near the limits on a more capable bike.

As well as commuting I want to take the occational multi-day trip. I have my sights set on visiting my old Minnesota home from 27 years ago, etc. I need the bike to to be capable of riding 10 hours a day at 75-80mph without feeling like I'm asking too much.

As I understand it the wee is capable on the highway and better suited to carving. The c14 would dominate the highway but not work so well on the commute (90% of my need). The c14 seems to do ~35mpg whereas the wee avarages ~50mpg (riding style dependant, of course)

For my money I can stretch to a brand new wee, or a used c14.

So would you guys agree on the Wee being a better bike for 90% country road commute and 10% highway touring?

Edited by Scruit

I love my Vee. I know that doesn't help much, but it's an awesome bike. I commute on it, and play. I chose the Vee over the Wee mainly for long trips, hauling stuff (like camping equipment), etc. The main thing with the Strom is I don't feel like a giant riding it. I'm a taller guy, and it fits me perfectly.

I love my Vee. I know that doesn't help much, but it's an awesome bike. I commute on it, and play. I chose the Vee over the Wee mainly for long trips, hauling stuff (like camping equipment), etc. The main thing with the Strom is I don't feel like a giant riding it. I'm a taller guy, and it fits me perfectly.

What I've read about the Vee is that it's better than the Wee on the highway but the extra weight and cost penalizes you on handling and mpg.

Of course, it may be "like giving strawberries to a donkey", meaning I am not going to even notice the difference. I could do the Vee also, but all the Wee/Vee comparions I read lean towards the Wee. They all say the Wee is a better all-round value.

If I did more long trips then I've lean towards the Vee.

Dangit! Stop complicating my decision process! ;)

I know lots of folks who own and love the wee. None of them complain about any lack of power or lack of highway speed. As a bonus the wee is much better off road than the big vee for the average rider. I even know a fellow wee owner in SE Ohio who is considering selling his bike. PM me if you'd be interested in talking to DOX and about his wee.

Really from what I've found, the choice between a Wee and a Vee are almost entirely personal. I've heard the Wee out handles the Vee. However, going from the ZX10 to the Vee, I can say the Vee handles every bit as good as the ZX10 if not better. If the Wee handles better than the Vee, well then hot damn. You'll be happy either way you go. They are incredible bikes. Everyone who rides mine wants one.

Both are great bikes. If you want to do serious miles the C14 is hard to beat for the money. The C14 will likely make your commuting easier in that you have plenty of storage and weather protection, so you can haul more and ride in a greater range of weather. If you are primarily a fair weather rider, don't regularly do 800+ mile days, and don't need to carry much, there is no reason to consider the C14.

For my commute the only deal breakers are <32 and low traction. Riding that cold just sucks, and low traction (risk of black ice) is a no-brainer. I can ride a hundred miles at 75mph at 40F and be ok (assuming heated grips so my hands still work).

I would need to ferry a laptop to and from work, not much else. I would kit the Wee out with lockable hard bags. I used to do the backpack thing on my Vol but switched to a sissy bar bag instead and love it.

I just think the everything that makes the c14 such a splendid bike are things I just would not fully appreciate enough to justify more than twice the money. I'm not going to run 0-60 in 3 seconds, nor am I going to do 800 mile days more than 3 or 4 times a year. Plus the option of going offroad doesn't exist for a c14 with all that pricey plastic. That means even some dirt roads woudl just make me cringe and shit dollar bills.

Why not save a few bucks and find a lightly used Wee? Then spend the saved cash for hard bags, top box, etc. Loads of Wee's out there with 4K miles and a couple of years old that will save you a couple of grand.

PS - Let me know when you're going to Minnesota. I haven't been there for a couple of years and would like to go back. South central WI has some, decent roads in it that I'd like to hit again.

I would agree that the Wee is a good choice, especially for what you're planning to use it for. It's relatively inexpensive, easy to farkle, very agile, and awesome on gas mileage while still having the power to romp around anything.

I used to have an SV650 that I commuted with on the freeway. I chose that over the Wee mainly because of my height (I'm only 5'5") and I felt that the Wee was a little more top heavy to my liking - but if you're taller I figure you won't feel it as badly.

My upgrade to the FJR1300 was mainly to tour, super-slab, and do 500+ miles a day for many days at a time. Personally, I'm not a fan of the first gen C14. After test riding it I felt like I was riding a huge bubble, and for someone that still considers himself a newb, a bike that has more mobility and feels easier to handle at slower speeds can be a great confidence builder. Additionally, the Wee can be fitted with the same spacious luggage and still be lighter.

My trip would be to Minneapolis....

I used to go to Minneapolis at least once a month for work and really like the town. Always wanted to ride to Bob's Java Hut and hang out....but I don't drink coffee:p

Loads of cool places there and I'd like to go for a weekend sometime.

Bought my wee new and it was my very first bike. I had heard that it was not a good beginner bike as it is too top heavy for newbs at slow speeds. Well I have survived for 22,000 miles and handling this big girl has never been a problem. I'm a large fellow so I upgraded the front springs and may soon have the rear shock rebuilt for my fat ass. The wind management from the original wind screen is absolutely horrible. Speeds above 45mph can produce migrane-like headaches. But that is an easy fix.

I am a fairly conservative rider but I have had little problems keeping up with all my buds that owned the big vee. I have loaded it up and ridden freeways and back roads and never felt that I needed more hp. I have the zuk gel seat and it was comfortable for my longest trip of 400 miles. Having never ridden a sport bike, I have no idea how it handles compared to a sportier bike.

Good luck with your purchase and enjoy the ride.

• Upvote 1

What was the fix for the wind noise? That was my biggest gripe about the Volusia, and I wound up making my own custom windshield mounts to fix the problem.

EDIT: Looks like the Madstat brackets and the Givi windshield are a universally-accepted combination for reducing buffeting.

Edited by Scruit

I went with the Madstad and Givi combo. During the summer I prefer the original screen with the Madstad all the way down and all the way back. Lots of good clean air.

Milage with the big screen is about 46 to 48 at 70 to 75 indicated compared to 50 to 52 with the stock screen. If you weigh more than 140 lbs consider going with beefier springs to control the fork dive when braking. Set up from the factory it can be a handful in strong cross winds and it is a little slow to turn in on the corners but raising the forks about 1/2 inch and getting a fork brace makes her one sweet handling bike.

140? Maybe when I was 13. I'm 6'2" and 225!

If I wind up buying new then I'll amke sure the dealer gets it set up for my weight/height.

For wind buffeting, I found less windshield is better. A bigger windshield may create a nice "bubble" of calm air but the air rushing down at the back of the bubble is VERY turbulent and causes horrible buffeting. I made brackets that tip the Volusia's windshield towards me at the top. I get a forehead full of CLEAN smooth air that is a breeze, no pun intended. 16 hours of freeway speeds didn't bother me one bit, whereas 45 mins with the stock shield gave me a headache like none other.

I rode Bens Vee and though it rides great and has one of the best riding positions in the biz, I would not want any less power. I am, however, a power junkie.

I mean, if your not a power junkie, you might as well ride a Vespa or a 2fiddy, amirite? :dunno:

I've ridden a V-Strom 650 on a much longer trip than that and I had no complaints.

I've ridden my Versys, another 650, on longer trips than Ohio-Minnesota and had no complaints.

I'm not sure what the issue is.

Are you 120lbs with gear? LOL

Are you 120lbs with gear? LOL

Actually, about 180 plus gear. I've ridden a V-Strom on a week-long trip through seven states, one-up, with all the luggage needed for that amount of time. In that state, a V-Strom will still accelerate faster than 95% of the cars on the road (a conservative estimate) and will easily carry you along at 100+ mph. Not that you can ride from Ohio to Minnesota at 100+ mph without causing an interstate high-speed pursuit, but the V-Strom could do it.

So why do you absolutely have to have 1,000cc to ride to Minnesota? So you can accelerate from 0-60 in half a second less on a 1,000-mile trip?