Discount day at Nelson for Ohio Riders - April 16 2011

jbot

It's not Motoseries' fault' date=' but we didn't give our money to NL. We gave it to Todd. I'm sure he'll do the right thing. I hear he's a fairly stand-up guy.[/quote']

I hear the same, and I wasn't aware that it took some 3 hours to pump water off the track when I posted earlier - I'm just trying to look at things from Todd's perspective. He/Moto Series can't take the financial hit for something that the track is responsible for. If the track makes it right, I'm sure Todd will.

The issue is the standing water wouldn't have been there had the drainage system not been clogged. It took them almost 3 hours to pump the water away from the track.. in one spot. That's completely unacceptable.

Shitty weather? Sure' date=' I'll accept that gamble. Shitty track preparedness? Nope.

It's not Motoseries' fault, but we didn't give our money to NL. We gave it to Todd. I'm sure he'll do the right thing. I hear he's a fairly stand-up guy.[/quote']

This I agree with, we al took the gamble on the shitty weather and went out and rode every session we could. The track preparedness was a joke! It was something I would think was preventable if it was being watched. Staning water is nothing to play around with and they did the right thing safty wise by shutting down te track! But why should we as paying customers be punished for their lack of awareness.

Todd/Moto Series is a paying customer to Nelson Ledges (rented the track for the weekend). Why should he eat the cost for their negligence in maintenance?

I agree that those who showed up and dealt with unacceptable track conditions and unnecessary delays should get some money back from Moto Series, but not until Moto Series gets some compensation from the track itself.

I found a helmet bag in my trailer, not sure who it belongs to. If you are missing one let me know I can get it to you.

that would be me. I'm in no big hurry. I'm pretty sure i'm coming in may if u just wanna leave it in the back of your trailer. Sorry about that. Thanks for letting us hang out in your trailer in the first place.

that would be me. I'm in no big hurry. I'm pretty sure i'm coming in may if u just wanna leave it in the back of your trailer. Sorry about that. Thanks for letting us hang out in your trailer in the first place.

No problem, I will just leave it in there.

i think he also gave you a free tour of the back of his 8 year old 636 at beaver, didn't he? on the straight, no less. your liter bike must have been a saaaad paaaaanda that day.

If your forks start to leak after I rebuild them' date=' are you going to wait until Honda gives me new ones before demanding I compensate you for your loss? No, you would want a refund or repair right now. My arrangement with Honda is not tied to your arrangement with me, at all. The same goes for Motoseries and Nelson Ledges. We bought a track day from Todd.. not NL.[/quote']

I don't think you're wrong, I just also don't think Moto Series has the cash to refund you until NL refunds them something.

It's about cash flow, not how it should go down.

Simple fix. No refunds' date=' but a credit towards your next track day. That way, Todd still makes money, saves face and the customer feels fairly compensated.[/quote']

I am sure we will be able to talk him in to doing another discount day like this, that would probably be the amount you would get anyways. Lets keep in mind you guys paid less than most people there.

Wow...enough with the vague analogies. If you are this pissed just don't go anymore. The majority of the people there had a great time and learned a lot. There has only been replies talking about everyone bending over backwards to try and make it better. This is life...sometimes it isn't fair.

Here's an analogy...you order a Pizza...it sucks.

The pizza place offers you one at a discount.

You say...sure...but it still sucks.

Are you just gonna get another one and keep bitching? Or get your pizza somewhere else?

GO Somerwhere else!

Shrug, I had a great time and got some valuable experience with rain tires and learning Nelson since I had never been there. I don't see what happened as any different then what has happened at other tracks with other orgs. STT shutdown Mid Ohio my first TD due to the rain and no one complained since it was the smart and safe thing to do. Did it suck to lose time on the bike yeah, but going out and destroying the bike would have been even worse.

As said, you pay for the day and most of us got a discount to start with. (Thx Jbot!) No, the weather wasn't cooperating with us as most of us would have liked and it wasn't a super speed/push the limits day. But $105-$125 for a TD is dirt cheap compared to the $195 of Mid Ohio, Motorcycle Xcitement-$225 and Nesba $145-$205. Choosing to go out or not then became a personal preference on how you felt on if you wanted to ride. No organization should be punished for that. As for the front straight flooding, at least they had the equipment to drain it as fast as possible. I was even out there helping them to streamline the hoses so we could all get back on as fast as possible. Even Mid Ohio has drainage problems in sections when it pours like that. (T8 right hander) and the small stream when you come out of thunder valley. Grattan has T5 that floods out along with some of T10.

If it concerns you that much, then do what Dubguy and others have done (myself included) and hold off until you see the weather forecast. Other then that, be willing to deal with unpredictable situations or go buy rain tires from the tire vendors and have at it. No way I would have tried even a portion of what I was doing without rain tires, but pretty sure most people there knew when I was out riding and I had a blast doing it. Just my $.02, but if your going to want to do a LOT of TD's it's better to be prepared for such things.

Edited by SJC1000rr
grmr/sp
  • Upvote 1

Few things to consider.

One, Moto-Series is the one that IF there should or shouldn't be any compensation, it comes from them. Not NL. Moto-Series rents the track, holds the event and essentially is who you are getting services from.

If the track had an issue (Not sure what track wouldn't have any water issues after these days of rain) and halted the track day, it is still Moto-Series that would issue any refunds or compensation.

It doesn't matter if it was a discount or not. You still were a paying customer and thus, if anything was to be credited or paid back, would be a % based on what you paid anyways...

However, there is something to consider. If you got in 4 sessions, I'd say that there isn't a single track day company that would probably credit any money back. That is at a point where it is a judgement call. At STT, I know we have done some credits before even though we clearly stated a certain amount of time or if any wheels roll, etc., there would be no discount. However, there were times when we did not. i think Moto-Series can go either way and be correct in their decision. I think he will do what is right one way or another.

Also, Moto-Series and NL cannot plan when the issue pops up. Would it have been any better had it still been raining while the issue was being worked on vs. it being nicer than it had been? They cannot choose when and where issues occur...

I think you all got a great deal on a track day, I think Moto-Series got you out there for 4 plus sessions (Someone please correct me if I am wrong), you got to ride a good bit and overall, the gamble was there for you to decide. I am willing to bet that had you looked at the weather, saw it was going to be pouring rain all or most the day and stayed home, you could have got a partial if not 100% credit. But, you decided to gamble and show up and then ride.

I understand the track had an issue. Happens all the time at tracks everywhere and some great examples made. One year at STT, Thunder Valley was flooded and we had to cancel. Mid-Ohio is one of the best prepped tracks we have around. Shit happens...

I think you all need to look at this from a business standpoint and see that you got seat time, had a choice and if anything, it is Moto-Series that you should communicate with. Talking on here isn't going to fix anything...

As for staff and coaching, I agree that something needs to be done where the customer shouldn't have to find a coach to talk to. The idea that if you are not approached, you must be doing fine is silly and shows there may be a lack of experience in the coaching staff. Novice group of them all is the most important to reach and the staff needs to have experience to preach that ideal and to teach those needed lessons. They will get better and they will grow. Give it time.

I think thoughts like that are something you all should talk about as the weather issue is only in one dude's hands and he ain't speaking much...

Edited by Desmo-Brian